By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - You can cancel your "psn is coming back up this weekend party" cuz it ain't

NJ5 said:
Stefan.De.Machtige said:
Ultr said:
Grimes said:

The infrastructure of the system must have been pretty deficient if they are unable to fix it after so long. Three weeks in the IT world is like a lifetime. Can you imagine if google went offline for this long, they would be crucified.

a friend told me that 2 weeks for rebuilding such a system is impossible, they really want everything to be secure

The normal procedure would be to place backups and update, not rebuilding. Rebuilding really means that parts of the system were flawed from the beginning.

Yeah... maybe install some firewalls as well.

The problem is, if they're adding firewalls that can break some assumptions on the network code in the console firmware and servers.

Worst case they may have to retest all online games to make sure they all work (if they don't then it's another cycle of fixing things, making sure the system is still secure with the fixes, and re-testing).

I assumed they would "update" the existing firewalls. Normally they should have some before this.

Your worst case could even be worse is they put back PSN with damaged or faulty accounts. Then the sh*tstorm could become a hurricane...

Sony has a difficult decision to make:

Either they bring back PSN now and risk a potential succesfull attack - puls some bad PR about still to be made fixes.

Or they bring back PSN when it's all tested out and very secure. No online for another 2/3 weeks looks real bad in the IT world. When you show yourself as an high-end hardware company, you want to project competence in everthing.

I don't envy them. This thing could cost them a entire quarter profit.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Around the Network
Wagram said:
psrock said:

What a crappy company. If you think about Sony, all they do is make their fans wait. Wait for PS3, wait for games, wait for updates, wait , wait , wait for more. 

Making us wait for a free service that we don't pay for. Them sons a bitches.......

Horay.  The Penny Arcade comic is finally topical.

It's far less embarassing for Sony to have PSN continue to be offline than for it to go back up and have it hacked again. They aren't going to put it back online until they have fantastic security.

Rath said:

It's far less embarassing for Sony to have PSN continue to be offline than for it to go back up and have it hacked again. They aren't going to put it back online until they have fantastic security.

I wonder if they even know everything that was hacked yet.  They had to take a website down that had the names and addresses of people who entered a contest from 2001.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703859304576308260949123474.html

I'd say that makes it more likely it's someone that's just trying to fuck with Sony over the Geohotz thing.  If they start posting EVERYONE'S Info online....

Not good.

I have finally lost faith in Sony. The only reason I won't leave tham is because they have the best games imo, but I will seriously rethink getting a 360 in case this ever occurs again.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network

As long as I can get a credit for DCUO then I'm all good.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

xshade92 said:

Shit happens.... I wish everyone(on the internet) would just stop bitching, I mean seriously, SONY is doing everything as fast as possible(while being thorough), what reason would they have to do otherwise? Saying they aren't doing it fast enough is like saying "MY CONCRETE ISN"T SETTING FAST ENOUGH DAMMIT" it will be ready when its ready...

P.S I miss my killzone fix :/

LOGIC AT LAST!

Have people forgot that the FBI and Homeland Security, as well as 2 third party security firms are investigating this whole mess?  I'm sure Sony is going to have to wait for them to finish the investigation and give the go ahead to launch the new and improved PSN.  I mean they have already announced they are finished with it, it's just going through final testing.  Yes, it may be another week or so, but so what?  It's just going to be that much more secure in the end.  And it's not like it's going to hurt the PS3's sales.  Last week's numbers prove this.

Those four entities you listed to my knowledge are not responsible for improvements in the system security. They are just responsible for finding the breaches, and trying to identify those who committed the act. When your home is burglarized it is not the responsibility of the police to put more locks on your doors. They might advise you to do so however. The same goes for the security firms they aren't there to build the system. They are there to help them find out what was stolen. To be honest it probably wasn't just that user information. Some of Sony's own shit was probably taken.

That said these guys aren't there to do the job Sony is paid to perform. The law enforcement community is interested in capturing criminals, and the security firms are paid to give them answers. Sony are the only ones responsible for how well the system performs. Given past performance I am sure there will be bone head blunders.

Speaking to the numbers. Those have been known to change weeks or months later. They are not factual they are just good estimates, and as such they can be wildly wrong.

Dodece said:

Those four entities you listed to my knowledge are not responsible for improvements in the system security. They are just responsible for finding the breaches, and trying to identify those who committed the act. When your home is burglarized it is not the responsibility of the police to put more locks on your doors. They might advise you to do so however. The same goes for the security firms they aren't there to build the system. They are there to help them find out what was stolen. To be honest it probably wasn't just that user information. Some of Sony's own shit was probably taken.

That said these guys aren't there to do the job Sony is paid to perform. The law enforcement community is interested in capturing criminals, and the security firms are paid to give them answers. Sony are the only ones responsible for how well the system performs. Given past performance I am sure there will be bone head blunders.

Speaking to the numbers. Those have been known to change weeks or months later. They are not factual they are just good estimates, and as such they can be wildly wrong.

Can you point to where I even implied that they were in charge of rebuilding the network?  Can't?  That's probably because I didn't.  However, I did say that Sony is probably going to have to wait until they finish their investigations before pressing forward with PSN.

As for the numbers, you are right about them changing.  And in Sony's case, it's usually up.