By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it was Microsoft or Nintendo being hacked would it be as bad?

If Anonymous was hacking Microsoft or Nintendo would they of been able to do just as much damage to them or was it just easy to hack Sony?

Around the Network

nintendo no, cause the online isn't used as much. Microsoft worse cause you have to pay for online.

If you're asking who's more competent... I can't say, microsofts has ton of experience, but also screw up a lot with windows  (I love windows 7). Nintendo's not really dealt with this. But you don't know til it actually happens.

oh, they have already been hacked, but they kept quiet and bought the data back secretly

of course i have made that up, but according to some on this forum it must be true because they haven't denied it.

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

I dont think we could really come to a conclusive answer. How will we know what kind of security MS has in place unless they have some sort of hacking scandal? So all we would really have to go off of is past performance. as far as I know live has not been breeched in a similar way yet.

Believe me, if nintendo get hacked, the hackers would get cough the same day, nintendo have the most massive fan base, and many of then are crazy

Around the Network

No, Sony arnt being attacked so much for the fact they were hacked, but more so the fact they made some pretty stupid decisions in the security area of things.

Does make me wonder how secure Nintendo's network is though, given you would have thought Sony would be ahead of Ninty in all respects when it comes to online. Can you even store a CC on a Wii account though? or is it all points?

Well, it shouldn't be too bad, but I can't imagine either one being down for more than a day or two.

MS takes Xbox Live down on rare occasional for a bit for upgrades and maintenance.  But I don't understand why Sony doesn't just refresh and go to a backup from a day or two earlier.  A set of accounts that big should be backed up remotely daily, or at worst once a week. (I.e. Gilgamesh purchased Flower on 5-1-2011 or an add on for God of War 3.)

(I do remember part of Sony’s corporate network catching on fire, literally, about a decade ago – they were back up within a few days at most.)

So some people may have to prove purchase and possibly redownload some games they bought in the last week, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

It occurs to me that the security breach has been going on a long time. And they aren’t able to determine how far back it goes.  That’s a bigger problem than just a hack – but a long term data mining problem.  Possibly some internal sabotage?

Those the only reasons I can think of for why it’s down for so long. 

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

I don't know about Microsoft but Nintendo doesn't store shit!  I hate having to re-enter all of my info when I buy from the Virtual Console.  The Wii doesn't even remember my NAME!

Seece said:

No, Sony arnt being attacked so much for the fact they were hacked, but more so the fact they made some pretty stupid decisions in the security area of things.

Does make me wonder how secure Nintendo's network is though, given you would have thought Sony would be ahead of Ninty in all respects when it comes to online. Can you even store a CC on a Wii account though? or is it all points?

All points, and you have to manually re-enter your card number for each purchase. It's too low-tech to hack, and the points aren't redeemable or transferable and are 100% bound to the Wii itself and linked to no existing internet account. Likewise all of Wii's online gaming is peer-to-peer connected, and thus it would be very hard to hack the network itself beyond screwing up specific localized games, and even then only temporary.

Worst they could do is knock out the shop channel as a discrete service, or knock out WiiConnect24 (though i don't know why anyone would bother)

Nintendo's system is too archaic to make hacking worthwhile

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'm sure MS doesn't run an unupdated linux server with no firewall 

Sig thanks to Saber! :D