By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it was Microsoft or Nintendo being hacked would it be as bad?

suddenly the advantages of having to re-enter my details on the Wii become clear

Around the Network
Gilgamesh said:

If Anonymous was hacking Microsoft or Nintendo would they of been able to do just as much damage to them or was it just easy to hack Sony?

MS doesn't let hackers into its computers: it makes them happy and busy enough with Windows users ones.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

d21lewis said:

I don't know about Microsoft but Nintendo doesn't store shit!  I hate having to re-enter all of my info when I buy from the Virtual Console.  The Wii doesn't even remember my NAME!

Whaaat

I linked my console to my Club Nintendo account, added my CC number, and never had to re-enter anything before a purchase.

Am I in danger? D:

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

Gilgamesh said:

If Anonymous was hacking Microsoft or Nintendo would they of been able to do just as much damage to them or was it just easy to hack Sony?

Nintendo don't store your credit cards when you buy or even require you to have any details to play online.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Gnac said:
d21lewis said:

I don't know about Microsoft but Nintendo doesn't store shit!  I hate having to re-enter all of my info when I buy from the Virtual Console.  The Wii doesn't even remember my NAME!

Whaaat

I linked my console to my Club Nintendo account, added my CC number, and never had to re-enter anything before a purchase.

You can do that, but you don't need to and I doubt most people link their accounts.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network
Gnac said:
d21lewis said:

Whaaat

Am I in danger? D:

Man.  I know it's probably safer just using my CC on the Wii but if I'd know that, I'd have made a Club Nintendo account years ago!  Also, you're in danger.  We traced the phone call.  The killer is in your house.  Get out of the house!

Anonymous have no need to hack the Xbox 360 and Wii because they are casting revenge on Sony's PS3 due to George Hotz being sued by them.

Gilgamesh said:

From a "can they do it?" perspective, I have no idea as far as Nintendo goes, however it would have been far more difficult to similarly hack xbox live.

From an accountability perspective, if it happened to Nintendo, it would have been a much smaller issues. It would have been an even larger issue had it been MS that was hacked.

Mr Khan said:
Seece said:

No, Sony arnt being attacked so much for the fact they were hacked, but more so the fact they made some pretty stupid decisions in the security area of things.

Does make me wonder how secure Nintendo's network is though, given you would have thought Sony would be ahead of Ninty in all respects when it comes to online. Can you even store a CC on a Wii account though? or is it all points?

All points, and you have to manually re-enter your card number for each purchase. It's too low-tech to hack, and the points aren't redeemable or transferable and are 100% bound to the Wii itself and linked to no existing internet account. Likewise all of Wii's online gaming is peer-to-peer connected, and thus it would be very hard to hack the network itself beyond screwing up specific localized games, and even then only temporary.

Worst they could do is knock out the shop channel as a discrete service, or knock out WiiConnect24 (though i don't know why anyone would bother)

Nintendo's system is too archaic to make hacking worthwhile

XDDDD I find it hilarious that Nintendo is too archeic for anyone to really want to hack it.  Maybe nintendo knew about this all along?!? lol

I am a nintendo fan, not a nintendo fanboy

Zappykins said:

Well, it shouldn't be too bad, but I can't imagine either one being down for more than a day or two.

MS takes Xbox Live down on rare occasional for a bit for upgrades and maintenance.  But I don't understand why Sony doesn't just refresh and go to a backup from a day or two earlier.  A set of accounts that big should be backed up remotely daily, or at worst once a week. (I.e. Gilgamesh purchased Flower on 5-1-2011 or an add on for God of War 3.)

(I do remember part of Sony’s corporate network catching on fire, literally, about a decade ago – they were back up within a few days at most.)

So some people may have to prove purchase and possibly redownload some games they bought in the last week, but it shouldn’t be too bad.

It occurs to me that the security breach has been going on a long time. And they aren’t able to determine how far back it goes.  That’s a bigger problem than just a hack – but a long term data mining problem.  Possibly some internal sabotage?

Those the only reasons I can think of for why it’s down for so long. 

If account is hacked and hackers have your password and CC numbers and all information from you, going to backup does absolutely nothing (unless you changed password just before hackers got it). Even if Sony network would have been hacked 1 hour earlier. Hackers still have your password and CC number and everything else so they can still use them. The only way is to change password and CC number. If hackers have your password then you always have to change it.