By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If it was Microsoft or Nintendo being hacked would it be as bad?

Gnac said:
d21lewis said:

I don't know about Microsoft but Nintendo doesn't store shit!  I hate having to re-enter all of my info when I buy from the Virtual Console.  The Wii doesn't even remember my NAME!

Whaaat

I linked my console to my Club Nintendo account, added my CC number, and never had to re-enter anything before a purchase.

Am I in danger? D:

How did you do that actually? I'm looking at Club Nintendo UK now and I see no way to store your credit card and no mention of it in their legal pages.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

I think Microsoft are more experienced in the cloud and one of the reasons Sony were vulnerable is because they were playing catch up and possibly cutting corners in order to keep pace. They did have a blistering pace of change whilst the old dog Microsoft took the slower bi annual update approach. This is one of my concerns with the near constant development of things like Chrome, Firefox but I think in these areas it probably is less of an issue, but I can gurantee things will slip out that may not of done had the cycle been a bit more leisurely.

It is interesting about the comment about Linux because it is in many pieces of hardware and often nobody knows what version is running and so it is unlikely to be patched. This is a problem for routers and other types of appliance and can lead to vulnerabilities into what is otherwise a hard nut to crack.

These leaves you in the hands of the manufacturers to patch both the underlying OS and the software running on it.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

I don't know. I'm just happy it didn't happen to Microsoft. The shitstorm and hate would be on another level, totally.

If your talking about credit card numbers then Nintendo would not be harmed at all as they do not store that info on their online thing

You always have to put in the card number every time you want to buy things which is good

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Nintendo online system is not one huge service. It's several different small systems that work independetly. That's why you can not do a Nintendo update, but still play all the games you own online. Unless the game needs the new update for it to work. There are also no Nintendo accounts so if they hack the online they still are not hacking the accounts.

So in theory when you hack a Nintendo game your just hacking that game, and not the system. That's the beauty of friend codes! LOL!

Just because someone is saying something different. Doesn't mean their point of view is right!

Member Of The Wii Squad: Warriors of Light!

One of the 4 Yonkou of Youtube aka Wii Warlords. Other Members include ThaBlackBaron, Shokio, and Cardy.

Around the Network
Demotruk said:
Gnac said:
d21lewis said:

I don't know about Microsoft but Nintendo doesn't store shit!  I hate having to re-enter all of my info when I buy from the Virtual Console.  The Wii doesn't even remember my NAME!

Whaaat

I linked my console to my Club Nintendo account, added my CC number, and never had to re-enter anything before a purchase.

Am I in danger? D:

How did you do that actually? I'm looking at Club Nintendo UK now and I see no way to store your credit card and no mention of it in their legal pages.

Agh!

Roma said:

If your talking about credit card numbers then Nintendo would not be harmed at all as they do not store that info on their online thing

You always have to put in the card number every time you want to buy things which is good

It would appear that my memory is crap on this. I bought my most recent titles using points cards, so that's my excuse.

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

wasnt the wii and 360 hacked a few years ago?

Check out my video game music blog:

http://games-and-guitars.synergize.co/

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB

He who hesitates is lost

What would be the point of hacking Nintendo's service?  Theres no details kept (didn't know you could link and save cc card info that way, handy but if I don't know it I'm sure 99% of Wii users don't either) and it'd be akin to bragging about beating an old lady.

MS?  No idea.   I'd assume harder because Sony seems pretty arrogant to me and arrogance leads to sloppiness (which we've seen lots of this gen).   MS is much more internet savvy and very, very accustomed to hackers (windows) and I doubt they'll take anything for granted.    They probably have a very bored elite team of anti-hackers waiting for Anonymous (or anyone) to even try.  Or not.    We'll probably never know unless someone actually pulls it off.

dsister said:

I'm sure MS doesn't run an unupdated linux server with no firewall 

ya, microsoft runs windows server 2011 with a firewall... which means its probably easy to hack as its a windows firewall. only thing saving it is there are so few people running windows servers few have experience hacking them.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Who cares, Sony brings in more drama. And we all know how secure MS is, look at their OS.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)