By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii is not dead or dying.

Train wreck said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Puggsly said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

The SNES was also sold well after the N64 came out. And the handhelds were all supported when the next came along, because they were all hits.

True, but SNES had a stronger and more rounded out library than N64. It also had some pretty good support years into N64s launch. Japan also played a big role. SNES sold 17 million units in Japan, N64 only sold like 5 million.

Wii is definitely on a decline. Price cuts will help sales, but 3rd party software is getting abysmal. Wii may not be dead, but it sure does feel like its dying.

Decline doesn't mean dying. And 3rd parties have made themselves abysmal even when the system was selling loads, so that doesn't prove anything either way.

And it seem those declaring it's dying are those that didn't like the system anyway, so you're just spouting wishful thinking, not reality.

Sigh, why do people keep making these threads to try to defend the defenseless.  The wii's glory days are well behind it, its dying, your emotions dont dicate that but Wii sales do.  The Wii will garner no more support from 3rd parties say a couple to throw random party game and fitness nonsense, any legit developer has moved on from the Wii, you need to too.

There's a difference between Nintendo dying and the Wii dying.  The problem is, most people don't seperate the two.  And while even Nintendo itself has emphasized they're looking to move ahead (making a new system alone is a big indicator of that), they also have stated they won't be dropping support for the Wii and think it has plenty of continued potential.  So no, the Wii isn't 'dead'.

Also, claiming the Wii is dead because it ''will garner no more support from 3rd parties" is a moot point.  The Wii has been virtually ignored by third parties since it came out and Nintendo itself has been the cause for its high sales with games like WiiSports, WiiFit, Mario Galaxy, Smash Bros and Pokemon.  In fact, some of the best looking third party games are coming out after the announcement of a new system (Last Story, Xenoblade, Conduit 2, Dragon Quest X).

miz1q2w3e said:

I think it's more about the game lineup and how it hasn't had many (any?) interesting games released for a pretty long time, nor does it have many (again, any?) coming out in the near future

Why is it that anytime a Nintendo system goes more than a month without a 'major release' that people claim the system is dying.  Yet the HD consoles can go months waiting for another title on the level of something like God of War III, Assassins Creed and etc, but people do nothing but defend their releases.  Heck, the major releases now is Mortal Kombat and Socom 4 and after that...everyone is just focusing on games that don't even have a release date like Mass Effect 3 or The Last Guardian.

Yet recently the Wii got tons of games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey and Sonic Colors.  I doubt you bought all four of those first day.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network
Nsanity said:

Doesnt look dead to me.

PS1 must also be alive and well then.

I mean, it's sold over 100 Million after all.

Kenryoku_Maxis said:
miz1q2w3e said:

I think it's more about the game lineup and how it hasn't had many (any?) interesting games released for a pretty long time, nor does it have many (again, any?) coming out in the near future

Why is it that anytime a Nintendo system goes more than a month without a 'major release' that people claim the system is dying.  Yet the HD consoles can go months waiting for another title on the level of something like God of War III, Assassins Creed and etc, but people do nothing but defend their releases.  Heck, the major releases now is Mortal Kombat and Socom 4 and after that...everyone is just focusing on games that don't even have a release date like Mass Effect 3 or The Last Guardian.

Yet recently the Wii got tons of games like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey and Sonic Colors.  I doubt you bought all four of those first day.

I was just commenting on why it might seem like Wii is dying for some people

...But to respond to your post, I guess I'm just more demanding when it comes to games. I always want more cuz I go through games so quickly - - - - - I don't know about other people's consoles though

Also, it's been WAY more than a month without a major release dude :/

@the last part, I bought all those games a long time ago, not day 1 cuz I don't preorder my games, more like week1-2

can someone tell me what games were released on SNES post N64?? im not trying to be snarky but i dont recall any major titles released for SNES when N64 was out or maybe om remembering wrong. i can think of maybe a few NES games that came out post SNES release but thats about it. When it comes to consoles Ninty has not always supported the older one when the new one is out. N64 and GC got pretty no support after the fact and even the SNES got only a little bit of games post N64 i think. I dont see this changing for WIi, especially considering that 3rd parties are not going ot be there and Ninty seems focused on 3DS, oh sure some might say Xenoblade, TLS and DQ but one has been in dev. forever and the other two have already been released in their home countries, so its not like they will be exactly new games. Im not a hater i hope im wrong and Ninty surprises us with a Mario Golf/Tennis game

miz1q2w3e said:
Kenryoku_Maxis said:
miz1q2w3e said:

I was just commenting on why it might seem like Wii is dying for some people

...But to respond to your post, I guess I'm just more demanding when it comes to games. I always want more cuz I go through games so quickly - - - - - I don't know about other people's consoles though

Also, it's been WAY more than a month without a major release dude :/

@the last part, I bought all those games a long time ago, not day 1 cuz I don't preorder my games, more like week1-2

All the games I mentioned came out in Oct-Dec 2010.  And I hardly think 5-6 months is a huge timeframe.  Especialyl since, as I said, the avg game player (IE: Not us who buys 4 games at a time) probably has yet to even buy them yet.  Games keep selling after the first month.  Only hardcore gamers like us buy them in the first few weeks.

oniyide said:

can someone tell me what games were released on SNES post N64??

Donkey Kong Country 3, Dragon Ball Z: Hyper Dimension (Japan only), Ken Griffey Jr. Winning Run, Kirby's Super Star, Lufia II, Maui Mallard, Sim City 2000, Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Japan Only), Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, Terranigma (Japan/Europe Only), Tetris Attack, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Seiken Densetsu 3.  All came out between April-December 1996 (N64 came out in June 1996).

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Around the Network

The Wii already has terrible games coming out this year. WIth a new console coming, the chances of getting better games will probably be low.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Nsanity said:

Doesnt look dead to me.

@kenryoku  i knew about DKC3 but mario RPG came out that late??? could have sworn it came out right before N64 launch. thanks for the info i hope Wii follows SNES pattern

It's much below the 360 and PS3 WW. Even in Americas. Though PS3 is undertracked in America it seems. Therefore I think it's dead. I don't expect a boost in 2012 either. Infact a bigger decrease 

Declining yes, dying not until next year, dead not until the year after that.