By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Wii is not dead or dying.

Overlapping support is a simple matter of cost/profit per unit. Both the NES and SNES were successful enough to warrant low cost redesigns that stayed on the market well into the next generation.

It may not get the best support once Project Cafe is available, but Nintendo will keep it as a low cost legacy system, possibly for as low as $99.

And yes, it is dying a natural death based upon a 5 year development cycle. Only die hard Nintendo fans would be in denial over this.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:

The SNES was also sold well after the N64 came out. And the handhelds were all supported when the next came along, because they were all hits.

True, but SNES had a stronger and more rounded out library than N64. It also had some pretty good support years into N64s launch. Japan also played a big role. SNES sold 17 million units in Japan, N64 only sold like 5 million.

Wii is definitely on a decline. Price cuts will help sales, but 3rd party software is getting abysmal. Wii may not be dead, but it sure does feel like its dying.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

The SNES was also sold well after the N64 came out. And the handhelds were all supported when the next came along, because they were all hits.

True, but SNES had a stronger and more rounded out library than N64. It also had some pretty good support years into N64s launch. Japan also played a big role. SNES sold 17 million units in Japan, N64 only sold like 5 million.

Wii is definitely on a decline. Price cuts will help sales, but 3rd party software is getting abysmal. Wii may not be dead, but it sure does feel like its dying.

Decline doesn't mean dying. And 3rd parties have made themselves abysmal even when the system was selling loads, so that doesn't prove anything either way.

And it seem those declaring it's dying are those that didn't like the system anyway, so you're just spouting wishful thinking, not reality.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

oniyide said:

@ the OP i agree but history shows that Nintendo has never supported 2 consoles at once. The only time i can think of is the original NES/SNES and the NES barely got support when SNES was around (loved the redesign though). However they could always pull a Sony and still support the console long after the newer model comes out and that would make sense (there are still PS2 games released) I for one hope this is the case, but looking at NINTY's history im not really optimistic.

In all fairness, the NES got some of its best games after the SNES had come out, like Kirby's Adventure and Dragon Quest IV.  The same thing happened with the SNES, except third parties were doing most of the supporting.  And it looks like the same thing is going to happen to the Wii, with games like Xenoblade, Last Story, Kirby Wii and Dragon Quest X.

People are just casting gloom and doom for Nintendo because its notr the 'hardcore' system supported by third parties.  But as history has shown us, they can make some of the biggest profits in gaming with just their own properties.  When you can sell 20 million copies of Mario, Pokemon and random fitness games, you are in no way doomed.

Its up to third parties if they want to actually get in on the profits this gen.  But if they do like last gen and just ignore Nitnendo's next system for the first two years, it'll cause Nintendo to just focus inward again and third parties will get upstaged by 'WiiFit2' and 'Mario Universe'.

Also, I would like to emphasize for all the people spouting gloom and doom for Nintendo.  People like you have been doing this for every new Nintendo system.  From the GameCube to the DS to the Wii.  Aren't you tired of being wrong yet?  I would keep my mouth shut after I was wrong so many times.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

kowenicki said:

it isnt dead but it is most certainly dying... I cant see how you can say otherwise.

if its sales are falling... and lets be frank they are falling quite dramatically.... then it is dying.

The "dead" console sold 2010 millions more than its competitiors.

In 2011 it is almost equal. And that without big games! What do you think will happen when the next big nintendo games and the price cut arrives. By the end of this year the Wii will be the highest selling console again.

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Puggsly said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Decline doesn't mean dying. And 3rd parties have made themselves abysmal even when the system was selling loads, so that doesn't prove anything either way.

And it seem those declaring it's dying are those that didn't like the system anyway, so you're just spouting wishful thinking, not reality.

Sigh, why do people keep making these threads to try to defend the defenseless.  The wii's glory days are well behind it, its dying, your emotions dont dicate that but Wii sales do.  The Wii will garner no more support from 3rd parties say a couple to throw random party game and fitness nonsense, any legit developer has moved on from the Wii, you need to too.

Train wreck said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Puggsly said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Sigh, why do people keep making these threads to try to defend the defenseless.  The wii's glory days are well behind it, its dying, your emotions dont dicate that but Wii sales do.  The Wii will garner no more support from 3rd parties say a couple to throw random party game and fitness nonsense, any legit developer has moved on from the Wii, you need to too.

Did you even read the OP? I can tell you didn't, as you are writing things I did not write the opposite of.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Train wreck said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Mr Puggsly said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

Did you even read the OP? I can tell you didn't, as you are writing things I did not write the opposite of.

Im just going by your title saying that the Wii is not dead or dying which it clearly is.  Depressed sales numbers, abandoning 3rd party support, limited first party support...all sounds like a system that is alive and kicking all right..

Dead? No.

Dying? Debatable.

It's gone from an expectation of 20 Million to 18 Million for the last FY to 13 Million this FY. It's in free fall. Nintendo are releasing next to nothing for it in the near future and the only real "huge" 3rd party title on the horizon is Dragon Quest X.

The recent quarter is the lowest it's ever had, and to compare it to the previous generation leader... It's lower than the PS2 has ever gone in a Quarter and it doesn't have the support from 3rd parties that the PS2 had after next-gen consoles were released.

IMO, it's dying.

It's dying Lord. The next console will get announced and the Wii will continue to get less support and decline in sales. If this were told in terms of a line graph, there wouldn't be any spikes out of the ordinary and the Wii will gradually die out. You seem to be looking at this in a way that the Wii is only dying if it is going out with a gun shot, when it's really just going to wither away like cancer. It's dying all the same. I don't anticipate any more than possibly one more major project from Nintendo to get announced for the Wii, and I would also be surprised if any more than a handful of original 3rd party projects get announced either, and that's being generous. 

It's understandable though, because this next console needs larger teams to make games in an appropriate amount of time, so I can only imagine how many have had to move on at this point.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.