By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Worried People Aren’t Buying 3DS’ Magic

3ds will probably own this holiday after Zelda, Star Fox and hopefully Mario and Mario kart are out.

Around the Network
viewtiful_jon said:

Im one who doesnt care about the 3D, the short time I had with the 3DS on Pilotwings was me looking at a double image of part of the screen and the rest looked normal and 3D. That is not how I want to play my games. Probally wouldnt of got one anyway due to the realization that my current handheld is almost never used.

Services like PSN and Wiiware have took over on the same style games I used to love playing on my handhelds so now I really dont see to much of a need.

You were holding it wrong.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

It sounds like the guy who wrote that "I'm not buying this 3D thing" thread was right.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

M.U.G.E.N said:
binary solo said:

I don't know if this is a sign of truly changing times in the handheld market, but reports are saying that the Xperia Play supply is not keeping up with demand.

We don't track mobile phone sales here, so who knows what that really means. Some of the problem is due to the Earthquake and manufacturing rate being down. But regardless it seems Sony underestimated the underlying demand for the Xperia Play. Time will tell whether the first real console/phone hybrid is going to take market share from consoles or phones. It's certainly the only handheld gaming device I'm remotely interested in, because it would mainly be a phone for me, on which I can play some games with a bit more depth than doodle jump (though I'll also be able to play doodle jump too).

Are there DS owners who aren't Nintendo fanatics who see a lot more value in moving to phone that games (not limited only to the Play) than getting another DS.

Did you read this somewhere? would be awesome if you can give a link

Actually I mis-remembered. The article I read only specifically referred to the Xperia Arc as not being able to meet demand. It only says the Play has "been well received" which could mean a lot of things but doesn't mean having demand exceed supply. http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/11388/Sony_Ericsson_hit_by_further_shortages.aspx

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

lightbleeder said:

First mistake: naming it 3DS. We've been through DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL... People think 3DS is just another DS, so they guess it's not necessary to buy it since they already own it, especially when the new one costs $250. Nintendo should've called it something different.

Second mistake: pricing it at $250, it's just too much specially when you could buy a 32GB iPod Touch for  few dollars more and buy a lot of casual games almost for free.

Third mistake: not having a Mario title at launch. Maybe a Mario Kart or something like that.

The concept of a dedicated gaming handheld is not that much attractive anymore, but that doesn't mean it cannot sell well. Just create a great music and movie/TV service for the handheld and a lot of people is going to buy the system.

Sir, you're spot on, especially on the first one.

Around the Network

So, if I buy 3DS now,  which games may I pick up? PilotWings Resort?? I am not spending 40 euros on that.

Nintendogs Cats??? Come on, I am old enough for that...

Street Fighter IV?? Maybe, but I have already played to it too many time on xbox360. That game was launched some time ago on the HD twins.

And no, I don't care about the other games availables because they are not good enough to justify spending 250 euros on a new hardware.

Not even the next Ocarina of Time 3D would make me buy that console. It's the best game I've ever played in my entire lige but I already have it for the Nintendo 64. I 've started and finished that awesome game at least ten different times, but I am not buying the same software twice.

Nintendo, you know what you have to do if you want to move hardware, we are not silly anymore.

Signed,

Nintendo fan

padib said:

I don't know these members, but by their posts would you really consider them Nintendo fans?

4lc0h0l said:

Man i hope that 3DS fails, i hate 3D, hate it on every single game i had on ps3, wipeout HD, motorstorm, killzone 3... they all suck, i played with the 3DS, was cool for a minute, then felt the same way as all 3D, just nothings more than a useless feature... i hope this teaches them a lesson. Dont support useless tech and your fanbase will be there for u...., give your fanbase GAMES!

They emphasized so much the 3D concept on their machine that now its firing back, because people see it as a nintendo DS with 3D..., because a lot of people get like me just find it gimmicky and is not something i am willing to spend my money on...

I mean, if this guy really cared about "GAMES!", wouldn't he just turn the 3D slider down and enjoy said "GAMES!", or at least wait till e3 to judge what's coming? (I mean, like a real fan would) A real fan would never want any of Nintendo's consoles to fail, why would they? 

Another case:

Phoeniks.Wright said:

There wouldn't be as many Nintendo is doomed threads if they hadn't screwed over their own customers this badly.

Most probably blaming Nintendo here for the lack of solid 3rd party games on the Wii current gen (I can't think of much other way they screwed their own customers honestly), for this, a great link I got yesterday from RolStoppable shows that what this poster didn't like about Nintendo this gen may not have been Nintendo's fault in the end.

http://pietriots.com/2010/12/17/the-3rd-party-wall-of-shame/

A serious Nintendo fan would investigate before jumping the gun like this. And if ever he's referring to the 3DS, by God if you don't like the price, don't buy it!

And for axt113, well just his comment on "Miyamoto should step down" is enough to show he's not a Nintendo fan, cause a Nintendo fan by definition likes Nintendo content, and we all know Miyamoto is responsible for a significant portion of it in one form or another. If he did step down, it would be a pity for any honest Nintendo fan...
So really, as much as it would've been interesting, I don't think what you're saying is true. And that should help show that most Nintendo fans on this site are honest, so far from what I've seen. Maybe a little zealous, but honest. I wouldn't like to be proven wrong with examples in the future (when NGP comes). That goes for all of us.
... and for the guys I just bashed :( please show me I'm wrong somehow. I kinda feel bad to say what I said, though I hold to my points, so do show me I'm wrong if I am.

Well, since you asked nicely, sure thing :).

There's a few things I'll address here, so I'll do it bit by bit:

-The lack of good 3rd party support, I do not blame Nintendo at all, because why would I? It's not as if they can control what 3rd, so independant from Nintendo, parties do. I have seen that wall already, and lay the blame only at their feet.

-You seem to hint that a Nintendo fan should like everything Nintendo does, but that would only be true if what they did now was the same as what they did before, leading me to..

-Nintendo has in its history took 2 different directions: a successful NES/SNES one, and a not successful one with N64/GC. With the Wii, they began with the successful direction, which I, and other people here I believe, are fans of,so I rooted for them then. Then, in 2008-09, they started going back to the unsuccessful direction, which I dislike a lot. So I stop rooting for them, and they will lose me as a fan. The thing with the 3DS and project cafe is that they are taking the 2nd direction, and why some of this hate is written by supposed Nintendo fans.

@LordTheNightKnight and axt113, yeah, doom was probably too harsh a word here.

M.U.G.E.N said:

"There is," Iwata points out, "no easy road to making people understand the attraction of glassless 3D images and making Nintendo 3DS widespread."

Source

Wonder if this is an issue of lost in translation or out of context in some way....

No man, Nintendo is going after the core audience!  The masses are supposed to not have a clue to how to use technology, which makes it so core!  Replace waggle with WTF? and you are core!  BOOYAH!

... or so the theory goes.

padib said:

Thanks bud, I appreciate your answer.

I can very much see where you're coming from, and to answer your second point, in truth, I don't like everything Nintendo does and am very much a proponent of critical thinking. That's why I don't get discouraged talking to diverging opinions as much as some others you may have encountered in the past. I think what you guys are doing is important, I just think the way it's done is very hard to follow and relate to. I'm doing my best to understand some of the points of view some of the members are bringing to the table, but the sentiments of resentment towards Nintendo in this season lead to such sharp negativism that it's hard to get a clear picture of their concern.

Tell you what, try this as an expirement of change in your regular pattern of life (as I believe this market is of great interest to you). Try seing Nintendo as a Company, a real company, with real people who make honest and real mistakes. Then, look at them as a Company that is trying, as much as it can, to remain ther leader in a business it pioneered above and beyond any precursor they met. I company that jumps out in glory in terms of its personality and the personality of the content it produces as compared to its competitors (though they do have their beauties as well). Then, remember that the leadership at Nintendo is in change, and that Satoru Iwata as a business man is a totally different beast than was mister Yamauchi. From these thoughts, you'll understand that some of the patterns of the past, may and (in my view most probably will) melt as ice to water when the time comes. If I'm wrong, I'll admit it, but in the mean time, really, it's much too early to tell. Give them time. If Iwata was able to revive Nintendo, can't you trust him again, even when wielding a weapon of the past?

My regards to all, happy playing, happy posting.

The reasons why there's such resentment is to me understandable. I'll tell you my case, since I don't know the other's, but I pre-ordered my Wii so I could have it day 1, because I saw the potential in the Wii, especially with sword fighting games. How great would those be?! And look at the result. We got RedSteel 1 at launch. WSR and RS 2 in 2008. And we might get a gimped Zelda in 2011. That's 4 games in 5 years, 2 okay ones, one where it's a small part of the game, and Zelda might end up gimped. 5 years of accumulated resentment, which is directed at Nintendo and 3rd parties alike.

So hope you understand that some comments might end up muddled by this rage.

And as for your last bit, again, as much as I would like to believe that is true, and I REALLY would, I can't. I'd have to make a whole thread about it though, but quickly here, from reading interviews with Nintendo execs and devs, I understood that they ACTIVELY do not want to make a mass market console, ie the successful option, and neither mass market games, like 2D mario, which I happen to love.

padib said:

Phoeniks.Wright said:

The reasons why there's such resentment is to me understandable. I'll tell you my case, since I don't know the other's, but I pre-ordered my Wii so I could have it day 1, because I saw the potential in the Wii, especially with sword fighting games. How great would those be?! And look at the result. We got RedSteel 1 at launch. WSR and RS 2 in 2008. And we might get a gimped Zelda in 2011. That's 4 games in 5 years, 2 okay ones, one where it's a small part of the game, and Zelda might end up gimped. 5 years of accumulated resentment, which is directed at Nintendo and 3rd parties alike.

So hope you understand that some comments might end up muddled by this rage.

And as for your last bit, again, as much as I would like to believe that is true, and I REALLY would, I can't. I'd have to make a whole thread about it though, but quickly here, from reading interviews with Nintendo execs and devs, I understood that they ACTIVELY do not want to make a mass market console, ie the successful option, and neither mass market games, like 2D mario, which I happen to love.

Fair enough. I know where you're coming from as I was there too, but for me it was with the Gamecube (I went multi-console this gen). The thing we really need to grasp here is that it's really not Nintendo's fault. I won't argue on Nintendo's 1st-party motion control offerings, as I was happy with Metroid Prime and content with Twilight Princess. We also need to keep in mind they had both motion control and casual markets to fulfill at once, on 2 platforms. That's alot for one company to satisfy alone.

Remember that wall of shame you told me you looked at. Realize that the real issue are the 3rd parties. By the looks of it they're killing Nintendo, not even Sony nor Microsoft are doing that.

Don't you think that with true 3rd party support, you would've seen much more tight motion-control gaming on the wii? A "real" Prince of Persia with motion controls? A real Ninja Gaiden with motion-controls. A real megaman Zero, Castlevania. You name it, the possibilities don't stop.

For the last part, it might be a good idea to start the thread. I've been reading pretty much every news article on this site and I've never seen it said. Mind you I only rarely go on the other sites. From what I understand, and this might brighten your day, is that Nintendo is going for a dual strategy, both supporting wii-like casual content and next-gen tight-control "serious" content. Then again, maybe we could exchange on that in the new thread.

Yeah, a new thread will be a better idea to continue this discussion, so just another 50 posts to go until I can do it!