By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The new system rumors are too fanboyish to be believable

The rumors of the next Nintendo system sound too much like a graphics whore fanboy wet dream to be believed, Nintendo abandoning the Wiimote for a tradictional controller with a screen?  Going with Blu-ray?  More powerful than the PS3 and 360?

Seriously, it sounds way too much  like a bunch of graphic whore fanboys got together and just spouted out their craziest ideas.

Around the Network

It's not hard to be more powerful that the PS3 or 360 at the point. They only have half a gig of DDR2 ram at this point and that is seriously what's holding them back. 360 has a tri-core processor clocked @ 3.2GHz I believe and as for PS3, I can't remember what the clock speed of the Cell processor is. But the technology in those boxes is years old. Way out of date. It will not be difficult to outperform 360 and PS3, especially if Project Cafe is going to be using the AMD Fusion C/GPU chipset.

EDIT: PS3 has a 3.2 GHz processor as well. As for 360, it's CPU is PowerPC based. The same tech that powered GameCube and Xbox.

Specs on AMD Fusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_fusion

How does it being more powerful than PS3 make it fanboy rumours? And what's wrong with blu-ray? I hope you don't tink it belongs to Sony.

But yeah, the ditching Wiimote for DA and going 'hardcore' rumours sound like bull**** to me.

I'm sure motion controls will come with this console and they're not going hardcore, they're just trying to get third party support. They'll still cater to everyone, not just self-procalimed 'hardcores'.

Snesboy said:

It's not hard to be more powerful that the PS3 or 360 at the point. They only have half a gig of DDR2 ram at this point and that is seriously what's holding them back. 360 has a tri-core processor clocked @ 3.2GHz I believe and as for PS3, I can't remember what the clock speed of the Cell processor is. But the technology in those boxes is years old. Way out of date. It will not be difficult to outperform 360 and PS3, especially if Project Cafe is going to be using the AMD Fusion C/GPU chipset.

EDIT: PS3 has a 3.2 GHz processor as well. As for 360, it's CPU is PowerPC based. The same tech that powered GameCube and Xbox.

Sure its not too hard, but is it affordable for them to do it?  Nintendo will be shooting for the $250 to 350 range onthe consumer end, probably closer to $250, so the idea that they will jam everything in there just because they can is unlikely.  Especially after seeing how high cost and power requirements are hindering the 3DS rollout, I expect Nintendo to be a bit more conservative with the ir next system

Play4Fun said:

How does it being more powerful than PS3 make it fanboy rumours? And what's wrong with blu-ray? I hope you don't tink it belongs to Sony.

But yeah, the ditching Wiimote for DA and going 'hardcore' rumours sound like bull**** to me.

I'm sure motion controls will come with this console and they're not going hardcore, they're just trying to get third party support. They'll still cater to everyone, not just self-procalimed 'hardcores'.

Lets see, two gens, GCN and Wii, they shunned DVD, that tells me that Blu-Ray is unlikely

And read my post above about why more powerful is a bit too fanboyish, it comes down to cost and power requirements

Around the Network
axt113 said:
Play4Fun said:

Lets see, two gens, GCN and Wii, they shunned DVD, that tells me that Blu-Ray is unlikely

And read my post above about why more powerful is a bit too fanboyish, it comes down to cost and power requirements

They could still use blu ray for storage, unless they have something better or good enough. No one is expecting it to play blu ray movies since we know Nintendo doesn't care about those things. The storage would be for games.

Wii uses DVDs, it just can't play DVD movies. Not using DVD cost them with the GC.

Yeah, being more powerful tahn PS3 is not expensive so your point doesn't count. Nintendo isn't going to copy and paste its strategy from this gen and hope for success.

Play4Fun said:
axt113 said:
Play4Fun said:

They could still use blu ray for storage, unless they have something better or good enough. No one is expecting it to play blu ray movies since we know Nintendo doesn't care about those things.

Wii uses DVDs, it just can't play DVD movies. Not using DVD cost them with the GC.

Yeah, being more powerful tahn PS3 is not expensive so your point doesn't count. Nintendo isn't going to copy and paste its strategy from this gen and hope for success.

What's the point of having the cost of a blu-ray player then?  Like I said its unlikely, more likely is some other proprietary format to hinder piracy.

Actually having the PS3 power in a small form factor will be more expensive,, remember the size of Nintendo consoles are smaller than the competition, the next console might even be smaller than the Wii.

They won't copy and paste exactly, but don't think they won't try and use as much of the strategy again as they can, the Wii was their most successful console ever, only an idiot would throw that strategy away.

axt113 said:
Snesboy said:

Sure its not too hard, but is it affordable for them to do it?  Nintendo will be shooting for the $250 to 350 range onthe consumer end, probably closer to $250, so the idea that they will jam everything in there just because they can is unlikely.  Especially after seeing how high cost and power requirements are hindering the 3DS rollout, I expect Nintendo to be a bit more conservative with the ir next system

if microsoft and sony can currently sell their consoles for a profit at $300. I don't see why nintendo can't make a similary powerful system for $250-$350.

They will want to make sure the system is at least as powerful as the 360/ps3 because the only reason xbox and ps3 are selling as well as they are in relation to the leading console is because of the countless number of amazing multiplatform games the wii couldn't get due to its hardware limitations.

Uhh you do know that Xbox and Ps3 are very weak against PC right? Those graphic cards on those consoles are miles old against a graphics card available on the market right now. Ypu can get a really good graphics card to outperform the HD twins for cheap.

3DS Friend Code:   4596-9822-6909

axt113 said:
Play4Fun said:
axt113 said:
Play4Fun said:

They could still use blu ray for storage, unless they have something better or good enough. No one is expecting it to play blu ray movies since we know Nintendo doesn't care about those things.

What's the point of having the cost of a blu-ray player then?  Like I said its unlikely, more likely is some other proprietary format to hinder piracy.

Actually having the PS3 power in a small form factor will be more expensive, remember the size of Nintendo consoles are smaller than the competition.

They won't copy and paste exactly, but don't think they won't try and use as much of the strategy again as they can, the Wii was their most successful console ever, only an idiot would throw that strategy away.

T_T

The storage is for the games, so they don't have a GameCube all over again.

What, you're expecting every Ninty console to be as small as Wii from henceforth? Too bad. And PS3 is 2005 tech, it can be put in a smaller box. Ever heard of PS3 Slim?

Nintendo will try to grow and have gamers of all demographics consider buying their console. They need third parties next gen because they cannot carry the console like they did with Wii due to first party games taking longer to develop leaving alot of droughts without third parties and some other reasons and I can't bother typing down.