By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The new system rumors are too fanboyish to be believable

HappySqurriel said:
axt113 said:
HappySqurriel said:
axt113 said:

Yes the GCN was powerful, but when it came down to the Wii, they were not able to stay in the graphics arms race while still offering an affordable system, so there is a good chance they will end up not delivering a high power system this time

It isn't that they "couldn't" provide a more powerful system, it was that they choose not to ...

Hypothetically speaking, Nintendo could have easily paired up a PowerPC 970MP @ 2.0 GHz with a Radeon X600/X800 and sold it for $300 without taking a large loss; and the system would have potentially been very small and energy efficient as well.

Why they didn't do this is something only Nintendo knows, but I suspect it was because they were uncertain of the success of the Wii and didn't want to expend the hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D and licencing fees to make it happen.

$300 wouldn't have been as market friendly as they were looking for, and they probably couldn't have done it while having a pack in game at the $300 price point.

The unknown success of the Wii was a potential possibility for their decisions, but that still involves releasing the system at a market friendly price to make its chance of success greater

Why?

The per-unit price of packed in software is almost nothing, with how well the Wii sold initially I highly doubt $50 would have been a deal-breaker, and the hardware I'm suggesting is very similar to what Apple used in their Mac Mini which was small, energy efficient, (reasonably) inexpensive, and sold at Apple's insanely high margins.

Yes, but we get back to what Nintendo percieved as market friendly at the time, they didn't see $300 or $350 as an acceptable price (and after seeing the slow start of the 3DS, its very likely they will be hesitant to make the next home console too expensive), so for them to pack in a lot of power and risk exceeding that market price was not something they wanted then, and will likely not be something they want in the future.

Sure the pack in game was negligible cost, but as we saw in Japan, they decided to sell it seperately, indicting, they valued it at $50 in the US bundle

Around the Network
SaviorX said:

In terms of the "rumored software" coming for the Wii2/N6 I think it is an influx of journalists merely trying to influence development teams to begin work on these projects, or at least bring it to their attention.

It is kind of like how IGN vehemently supported the notion that a Kid Icarus Wii was on the Wii. In that case they were half right; a KI game was being made but on the 3DS.

No company will confirm if they are working on such games, but who knows how much influence these rumors have. Journalists talking en masse was part of the reason Wii support was marred and abandoned in the first place.

Right. They figured they were able to sink the Wii with their malicious libel, they could derail Nintendo completely with a nice console that'll put them in the corner, in the normal console world, and nice and out of the way.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

HappySqurriel said:
axt113 said:
HappySqurriel said:
axt113 said:

sold at Apple's insanely high margins.

Citation needed.

Is this thread too fanboyish to be believable?

Tease.

Wii 2 going with Blu-ray does sound incredibly stupid.

I mean, Nintendo ALWAYS ends up making their own proprietary format for games because they don't want to pay royalties on it.  They usually buy a failed disc or something similar.

The rest i could see.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:

I mean, Nintendo ALWAYS ends up making their own proprietary format for games because they don't want to pay royalties on it.  They usually buy a failed disc or something similar.

The rest i could see.

when have they used a failed disc, ever? 

GCN used a mini DVD bassed disc and Wii used a DVD bassed disc and before that they used carts, a Blu-ray bassed disc format doesn't seem unlikely at all. No one as far as I know has said it would play Blu-ray movies so they are not going to be paying sony anything by using their own formating on a disc that uses the same manufacturing process and a disc drive that uses a Blu diode nether of which Sony owns a stake in as far as I know and it would fit into their past trend of using the current disc tech (to lower costs) with their own format so as to avoid licensing costs...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Kasz216 said:

The rest i could see.

GCN used a mini DVD bassed disc and Wii used a DVD bassed disc and before that they used carts, a Blu-ray bassed disc format doesn't seem unlikely at all. No one as far as I know has said it would play Blu-ray movies so they are not going to be paying sony anything by using their own formating on a disc that uses the same manufacturing process and a disc drive that uses a Blu diode nether of which Sony owns a stake in as far as I know and it would fit into their past trend of using the current disc tech (to lower costs) with their own format so as to avoid licensing costs...

I thought they bought the GCN mini DVD tech off someone.  While the Wii DVD disc was in fact the GCN technology put on a disc.

zarx said:
Kasz216 said:

The rest i could see.

GCN used a mini DVD bassed disc and Wii used a DVD bassed disc and before that they used carts, a Blu-ray bassed disc format doesn't seem unlikely at all. No one as far as I know has said it would play Blu-ray movies 

People have been saying 'Blu Ray', not 'a Blu Ray based disc format'. People ARE saying that the Wii2 will be capable of playing Blu Ray movies, and that Nintendo will be forced to pay royalties, some fraction of which will go to Sony. You are correct that the latter is quite plausible (I personally think a HD-DVD format is also quite likely). 

axt113 said:

The rumors of the next Nintendo system sound too much like a graphics whore fanboy wet dream to be believed, Nintendo abandoning the Wiimote for a tradictional controller with a screen?  Going with Blu-ray?  More powerful than the PS3 and 360?

Seriously, it sounds way too much  like a bunch of graphic whore fanboys got together and just spouted out their craziest ideas.

For your first point, even the rumors are trying to confirm the next Nintendo system would still have motion support.  Just with a more traditional controller.

For your second point, Nintendo is going to have to go with Blu-Ray or a whole new format (like the GC) next gen.  Third Parties will ignore them if all their games are just 4.7 gigs or less.

For your third point, most reports put the next Nintendo system at 'close to or a little more powerful than XBOX360'.  So basically...a PS3.  Though I highly doubt it would have the same design.

Also, for your overall point, you may not believe this, but last gen the 'fanboyism' was even worse.

Six upcoming games you should look into:

Although I don't see them using blu-ray, and those controllers  are a bit unbelievable, I don't see why the rest can't be true.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~