By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The new system rumors are too fanboyish to be believable

The 360 is almost 6 years old-- it isn't some kind of god. 

Nintendo should be able to easily surpass the 360/PS3-- especially because it most likely won't even realease until mid-late 2012. 

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Around the Network
enrageorange said:
axt113 said:
Snesboy said:

It's not hard to be more powerful that the PS3 or 360 at the point. They only have half a gig of DDR2 ram at this point and that is seriously what's holding them back. 360 has a tri-core processor clocked @ 3.2GHz I believe and as for PS3, I can't remember what the clock speed of the Cell processor is. But the technology in those boxes is years old. Way out of date. It will not be difficult to outperform 360 and PS3, especially if Project Cafe is going to be using the AMD Fusion C/GPU chipset.

EDIT: PS3 has a 3.2 GHz processor as well. As for 360, it's CPU is PowerPC based. The same tech that powered GameCube and Xbox.

Specs on AMD Fusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_fusion

Sure its not too hard, but is it affordable for them to do it?  Nintendo will be shooting for the $250 to 350 range onthe consumer end, probably closer to $250, so the idea that they will jam everything in there just because they can is unlikely.  Especially after seeing how high cost and power requirements are hindering the 3DS rollout, I expect Nintendo to be a bit more conservative with the ir next system

if microsoft and sony can currently sell their consoles for a profit at $300. I don't see why nintendo can't make a similary powerful system for $250-$350.

They will want to make sure the system is at least as powerful as the 360/ps3 because the only reason xbox and ps3 are selling as well as they are in relation to the leading console is because of the countless number of amazing multiplatform games the wii couldn't get due to its hardware limitations.

Cause of two factors, economies of scale, and form factor, products like video game systems reduce in price as you make more, so early on its more expensive to make them, which is why prices drop.

form factor is another, Nitnendo will want to make its next system small, like the Wii, itsmore expeinsve to make a smaller system.

They might, but even Wii was not much more powerful than an original Xbox at best, some even argue its weaker overall, so they may want to make it more, but may end up deciding the costs are too high

Christian973 said:

Uhh you do know that Xbox and Ps3 are very weak against PC right? Those graphic cards on those consoles are miles old against a graphics card available on the market right now. Ypu can get a really good graphics card to outperform the HD twins for cheap.

This is exactly what I was thinking when reading every post up until yours. I think people are overestimating the power of the current gen HD twins. They are already outperformed and should be by the next Ninty console. If they aren't however, that would mean that Ninty is lazy when it comes to technology ever since Wii. Before that, people would never say that a Ninty console is always gonna be less powerful. Nintendo should adopt this "ten year plan" next gen. I wanna see if they can actually keep up.

Also its unlikely their next system will be bigger than Wii, if you notice they downscale rather than upscale the size of their home consoles, and Slim is still larger than Wii, so it won't be cheap to shove PS3 power into a Wii, or even smaller than Wii system.

As for Third parties coming to the system, if you believe that will happen, I have a bridge to sell you

axt113 said:
enrageorange said:
axt113 said:
Snesboy said:

It's not hard to be more powerful that the PS3 or 360 at the point. They only have half a gig of DDR2 ram at this point and that is seriously what's holding them back. 360 has a tri-core processor clocked @ 3.2GHz I believe and as for PS3, I can't remember what the clock speed of the Cell processor is. But the technology in those boxes is years old. Way out of date. It will not be difficult to outperform 360 and PS3, especially if Project Cafe is going to be using the AMD Fusion C/GPU chipset.

EDIT: PS3 has a 3.2 GHz processor as well. As for 360, it's CPU is PowerPC based. The same tech that powered GameCube and Xbox.

Specs on AMD Fusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amd_fusion

Sure its not too hard, but is it affordable for them to do it?  Nintendo will be shooting for the $250 to 350 range onthe consumer end, probably closer to $250, so the idea that they will jam everything in there just because they can is unlikely.  Especially after seeing how high cost and power requirements are hindering the 3DS rollout, I expect Nintendo to be a bit more conservative with the ir next system

if microsoft and sony can currently sell their consoles for a profit at $300. I don't see why nintendo can't make a similary powerful system for $250-$350.

They will want to make sure the system is at least as powerful as the 360/ps3 because the only reason xbox and ps3 are selling as well as they are in relation to the leading console is because of the countless number of amazing multiplatform games the wii couldn't get due to its hardware limitations.

Cause of two factors, economies of scale, and form factor, products like video game systems reduce in price as you make more, so early on its more expensive to make them, which is why prices drop.

form factor is another, Nitnendo will want to make its next system small, like the Wii, itsmore expeinsve to make a smaller system.

They might, but even Wii was not much more powerful than an original Xbox at best, some even argue its weaker overall, so they may want to make it more, but may end up deciding the costs are too high

Who ever said that they wanted it to be ultra small like the Wii/ Ps2 slim?

Around the Network
Linkasf said:

Notice something?

From a technical standpoint I see little from the rumours which is difficult to believe; after all, a system that has 10 times the processing power of the PS3 and XBox 360 should be possible to produce, so as long as no one is making unrealistic claims (32 times the processing power) it isn't unrealistic.

With that said, I think many of the supposed system ideas seem to lack any type of creative thought or vision that Nintendo systems tend to have.

axt113 said:
Linkasf said:

Notice something?

Yes, the Gamecube was a very small, inexpensive system, that had substantial processing power ...

Yes the GCN was powerful, but when it came down to the Wii, they were not able to stay in the graphics arms race while still offering an affordable system, so there is a good chance they will end up not delivering a high power system this time

This's the beauty of the Pre-E3 time. Enjoy it, maybe it's far more nehoyable than the event itself.