By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Long Before a 3DS Redesign?

How Long Before a 3DS Redesign?

2012 115 43.56%

2013 113 42.80%

2014 25 9.47%

Later than 2014 7 2.65%

Never 4 1.52%

Total:264

Around the Network
DeadEye said:

They could also add a second motion sensor so the 3D effect could move with the system so you don't lose the sweet spot (I saw this done with an app on the iPhone/iPad, something i anyway).

I think you speak about the game that simulate 3D view by changing the display by tilting the device (there are a game that did the same on the DS as Viper1 says). But in anycase the game the game is 3D the way 3DS display the 3DS. For 3DS even still image have dept, for the app you speak of on the iphone, the depth comes from moving the device.

For the idea to have the barrier adjust to the viewer, i don't think they will implement it becauce this add moving part: this will lead to more risk of breakdown of the device as also more battery consuption.

But we must first concentrate ourselves on the way to entertain people, for video games to live. Else, it's a world where sales representative will win, which has as effect to kill creativity. I want to say to the creators all around the world:"Courage, Dare!". Shigeru Miyamoto.

Easily 2012, one thing Nintendo has learnt from Apple its to iterate hardware every year where possible, they have a great chance to improve the battery life and release a new version next year and im sure they will take it, i also expect future versions to include better 3D screens if the technology improves in anyway. Not to mention an XL version. 

They may take a year out if they are releasing a Wii2.

probably around the same time sony release the ngp 2000

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

2013, probably 1st half of the year

Around the Network

I would guess in about 3.5 to 4 years. 

I do feel that if the tech was available to make any improvements could be made on the system, it would have been utilized in the original design. This isn't like the situation with the dark screen on the original GBA, or the ugly fat box used on the original DS. The improvements that can be made on the system are tech related, and the tech won't exist for some time yet.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Xenostar said:

Easily 2012, one thing Nintendo has learnt from Apple its to iterate hardware every year where possible, they have a great chance to improve the battery life and release a new version next year and im sure they will take it, i also expect future versions to include better 3D screens if the technology improves in anyway. Not to mention an XL version. 

New 3D tech would require a new generation of systems, as the games would have to be redone to fit that new tech.

The 3D tech in the 3DS is not something that can't be improved upon; standard screens essentially have 100% of the pixels aiming light forward. The 3DS uses special technology on its 800 pixel wide screen where essentially every even pixel directs light to the right eye, and nothing to the left eye; and every odd pixel directs light to the left eye without directing any to the right eye. Effectively, each eye views a different screen showing a scene from a slightly different perspective. It is also why this tech will only work on small screens, and will become somewhat difficult the larger the screen. For example, the iPad would struggle with this tech, and a TV certainly wouldn't be able to use it.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Xenostar said:

New 3D tech would require a new generation of systems, as the games would have to be redone to fit that new tech.

The 3D tech in the 3DS is not something that can't be improved upon; standard screens essentially have 100% of the pixels aiming light forward. The 3DS uses special technology on its 800 pixel wide screen where essentially every even pixel directs light to the right eye, and nothing to the left eye; and every odd pixel directs light to the left eye without directing any to the right eye. It is also why this tech will only work on small screens, and will become somewhat difficult the larger the screen. For example, the iPad would struggle with this tech, and a TV certainly wouldn't be able to use it.

I still think we will see a new hardware model somtime in 2012, could be improved battery, differnt case for a none telescopic stylus that doest fold down when you push to hard, new wireless option maybe wireless n or 3g, different button config so the power button is not located under the thumb, higher res cameras, increased internal memory for download games, and by improved 3d tech i just ment an improved parralax barrier something small like that.

Theres a whole host of small improvements they could make before the end of 2012, battery life being the big one and id be amazed if they werent at least trying aiming to get new revisions to market every year with the whacking profits there making on the hardware they have no reason not to try and sell you more than one. 

It would also not surprise me if the next revision of hardware is the only way to get a white one. 

2013 slightly larger and thiner, bigger battery, bigger screens...

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

What they need now is more colour to choose from.

I want a bamboo one, that looks like a block of wood when not in use.