By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How Long Before a 3DS Redesign?

How Long Before a 3DS Redesign?

2012 115 43.56%

2013 113 42.80%

2014 25 9.47%

Later than 2014 7 2.65%

Never 4 1.52%

Total:264
Alby_da_Wolf said:

Let's see, what should have it needed from the start?

• LONGER BATTERY LIFE (and possibly shorter recharging time)
  • LARGER SCREEN (1" more could already be good)
  • NO REGION LOCK (it's a portable, Ninty, one of those things that people want to use everywhere, buying SW for it wherever they are, capisce?)
  • Maybe not immediately, but drop to $199 ASAP, and in EU drop to 199€ even sooner
  • So yes, a redesign could be welcome. Is Xmas 2011 too soon?   

these are only things i'm game for

longer battery life, has not died on me yet, but can NEVER go wrong with a long battery life.  well unless its like a nuclear battery and it melts down or something

larger screen, again can not go wrong with this, though i want a larger screen ONLY.  not a larger system. 

region lock, not sure if anyone has ever removed a region lock from a system so just going to ignore this.  besides not sure if woudl play a non english game anyway.  so don't relaly care too much on this, though am against region lock to begin with.

can never go wrong being cheaper.

One thing to add to this, i wish the top screen was more like the ds lite, in that the surrounding area NOT the screen was not a screen like material that leaves finger prints.    oh and also if it can weight less is always a bonus.

Around the Network
    kitler53 said:

there wasn't really anything wrong with the DS lite but we still got a DSi, DSi XL.

The problems with the DS Lite were the user interface, couldn't update the firmware, didn't have the cameras, no online store, small internal memory, no SD card slot.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

I wish Nintendo would´ve released a 3DS XL along with the standard version, my hands would´ve appreciated it a lot.

Also, the amount of time it takes for the battery to recharge is annoying.

Viper1 said:
    kitler53 said:

there wasn't really anything wrong with the DS lite but we still got a DSi, DSi XL.

The problems with the DS Lite were the user interface, couldn't update the firmware, didn't have the cameras, no online store, small internal memory, no SD card slot.

and the problem with the 3DS is <insert features 1 through 6 of things you don't realise you want now but will want the second they become availible>

i mean really, none of those are must haves for gaming.

does the 3DS support in game chat?  maybe we'll need blue tooth or something like that.

How about that ambient light patent nintendo just claimed?  that could be a cool new feature.

How about 3G or 4G?  Right now i think it only does wi-fi.

and believe you me -- glassesless 3D screens are going to be much better tech in 2-3 years from now.  Upgrade!

battery life?   ... too obvious. xD

Is it possible that the 3.7V battery used in the 3DS would have evolved to better performance in 1 to 1.5 years?  I don't know the first thing about the improvement of battery life efficiency over the years, but I was thinking that Nintendo could just start including a better battery in said time without doing a full redesign, kinda like the way they just slipped in the superior back-lit screens in the later models of the GBA SP.  These better batteries would then be available for current 3DS owners to purchase and install themselves.

If it's not possible however, and these batteries will always offer the same performance for the current 3DS model, then we'll have to wait for a full-on redesign of the system before battery life would improve, or go with something like Nyko offers, which unfortunately adds weight and girth to the unit.

If anyone can elaborate on this that'd be great...

Around the Network
    irstupid said:
    Alby_da_Wolf said:

Let's see, what should have it needed from the start?

• LONGER BATTERY LIFE (and possibly shorter recharging time)
  • LARGER SCREEN (1" more could already be good)
  • NO REGION LOCK (it's a portable, Ninty, one of those things that people want to use everywhere, buying SW for it wherever they are, capisce?)
  • Maybe not immediately, but drop to $199 ASAP, and in EU drop to 199€ even sooner
  • So yes, a redesign could be welcome. Is Xmas 2011 too soon?   

these are only things i'm game for

longer battery life, has not died on me yet, but can NEVER go wrong with a long battery life.  well unless its like a nuclear battery and it melts down or something

larger screen, again can not go wrong with this, though i want a larger screen ONLY.  not a larger system. 

region lock, not sure if anyone has ever removed a region lock from a system so just going to ignore this.  besides not sure if woudl play a non english game anyway.  so don't relaly care too much on this, though am against region lock to begin with.

can never go wrong being cheaper.

One thing to add to this, i wish the top screen was more like the ds lite, in that the surrounding area NOT the screen was not a screen like material that leaves finger prints.    oh and also if it can weight less is always a bonus.

About region lock, think about the vast majority of people that don't speak English as their mother tongue: for many of them English is their second tongue they know more or less well, but probably in most cases enough to play most games. For those people, including me, a game in English can be a good option. I used to buy English version when Italian ones had awful localizations, and often also problems for patching them. I still prefer English version when English language is the original one and it creates part of the atmosphere, like with the peculiar English jargons used in Thief series and in Planescape:Torment. For portable users, being able to buy a game wherever they are without worrying about the region, but just whether they understand one of the languages available in the version they buy can be a big benefit. Add to this the fact that a game could not be available in some regions, in that case, for the fans, even just subtitles in English could be better than not playing a game at all.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
    A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
    TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

kitler53 said:
    Viper1 said:
    kitler53 said:

and the problem with the 3DS is <insert features 1 through 6 of things you don't realise you want now but will want the second they become availible>

i mean really, none of those are must haves for gaming.

does the 3DS support in game chat?  maybe we'll need blue tooth or something like that.

How about that ambient light patent nintendo just claimed?  that could be a cool new feature.

How about 3G or 4G?  Right now i think it only does wi-fi.

and believe you me -- glassesless 3D screens are going to be much better tech in 2-3 years from now.  Upgrade!

battery life?   ... too obvious. xD

There is a very big firmware update coming at the end of next month.  Voice chat is suspected to be one of the big features of the firmware. Why in teh world would you need blue tooth for voice chat?  Do you have any idea what blue tooth even is?

Nintendo has no interest in adding 3G or 4G to their systems.  They do not want their customers to be tied down to 3rd party service contracts.

The parallax barrier screen can't be changed out for a new type of screen.  You lose compatability with the programmed content already in circulation and vice versa.

The firmware updates can add a lot of the features people are wanting.  

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The system was released two weeks ago and people are already clamoring for a redesign. The problem with a lot of these desired new fetures is simply a portable console has a limited amount of space and so to improve one area of the system you must sacrifice another. I'm not saying there won't be another redesign, but it won't happen for another couple of years when the cost of better components have gone down to make a redesign cost effective.

Next year during summer, I think.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Viper1 said:

There is a very big firmware update coming at the end of next month.  Voice chat is suspected to be one of the big features of the firmware. Why in teh world would you need blue tooth for voice chat?  Do you have any idea what blue tooth even is?

Nintendo has no interest in adding 3G or 4G to their systems.  They do not want their customers to be tied down to 3rd party service contracts.

The parallax barrier screen can't be changed out for a new type of screen.  You lose compatability with the programmed content already in circulation and vice versa.

The firmware updates can add a lot of the features people are wanting.  

blue tooth is a wireless tech for communicating with devices -- of which headsets are the most common.  lol if you think you're going to get solid voice chat out of that mic in the 3DS.  nintendo abandoned wii speak in favor of the wii head set for a reason...

but you completely missed the point.  no one looked at the original DS and said ... well damn, if only it had camera's.  that "need" came later after other company's and nintendo made you decide you needed it.  i might not have the imagination to know what's comming but believe you me ... in the next 6ish years of the 3DS lifecycle new things will come that you will suddenly think the 3DS needs.  revisions will come.

oh and i call BS on your parallax barrier screen argument.  game developers aren't programing their games directly to the screen output.  that's what firmware is for.