By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's Questionable moves, 3DS difficulties

Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Jumpin said:

I don't think there's really any threat from cell phone applications to real games; it's like saying that people will give up eating proper meals bought at restaraunts and the grocery store, because they can by a candy for 1 cent at the gas station.

Sure there is a place for candy, but they're never going to take the place of a full meal.

Not entirely though, but I imagin a lot of people actually have switched to gaming on an iphone or w/e rather than DS because it suits their needs more. Silly analogy ...

No, not really...

What he's trying to say is for us gamers (which, let's be fair, was the point of this article. What casual gamer's gonna read an article like this anyway?), it's alright to occasionally 'snack' on games like Angry Birds. It's fine if you're just going on a bus journey for a few minutes, after all...

But after a while, we realise that Angry Birds just don't cut it. What if we want to sit down for a few hours and play a massie RPG, or a competitive online shooter etc. ? Iphone/ Mobile gaming can't do that at the moment, and may not for many years to come. In that way, Console gaming acts as the full meal. 

So whilst the games are just quick-fire and not substantial, Nintendo have nothing to worry about. It just can't grow further the way it is IMO

I don't care who you think the article is aimed at, that's irrelevent.

The point of the article talks about apple as competition ....

Fine, but the point remains the same

IF the 360 only had garage devs and the Iphone had all the Halos and CODs etc., which one would you buy?

Moblie gaming can't take off until it has the games. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are only here because they made good games. Sega and Atari died because they couldn't. That's all there is to it at the end of the day

What a stupid comparison ... one is a home console, the other is a portable ... stop trying to make it fit.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Jumpin said:

I don't think there's really any threat from cell phone applications to real games; it's like saying that people will give up eating proper meals bought at restaraunts and the grocery store, because they can by a candy for 1 cent at the gas station.

Sure there is a place for candy, but they're never going to take the place of a full meal.

Not entirely though, but I imagin a lot of people actually have switched to gaming on an iphone or w/e rather than DS because it suits their needs more. Silly analogy ...

No, not really...

What he's trying to say is for us gamers (which, let's be fair, was the point of this article. What casual gamer's gonna read an article like this anyway?), it's alright to occasionally 'snack' on games like Angry Birds. It's fine if you're just going on a bus journey for a few minutes, after all...

But after a while, we realise that Angry Birds just don't cut it. What if we want to sit down for a few hours and play a massie RPG, or a competitive online shooter etc. ? Iphone/ Mobile gaming can't do that at the moment, and may not for many years to come. In that way, Console gaming acts as the full meal. 

So whilst the games are just quick-fire and not substantial, Nintendo have nothing to worry about. It just can't grow further the way it is IMO

I don't care who you think the article is aimed at, that's irrelevent.

The point of the article talks about apple as competition ....

IF the 360 only had garage devs and the Iphone had all the Halos and CODs etc., which one would you buy?

Moblie gaming can't take off until it has the games. Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft are only here because they made good games. Sega and Atari died because they couldn't. That's all there is to it at the end of the day

What a stupid comparison ... one is a home console, the other is a portable ... stop trying to make it fit.

No, my point is in general, the reason the IPhone isn't a viable gaming platform is because it doesn'thave any good games and has reached saturation. No major 3rd party dev (Sega, Activision etc.) are going to invest heavily in that sort of market. Until they do, mobile gaming can't, and won't, take off...

The games there are fine, for a short spell, but when I want something comprehensive I turn to m DS, Wii, 360 or 3DS. Playing on my mobile never even crosses my mind...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

robzo100 said:
Jumpin said:

Actually I think you just made a really relevant point, even though you may be wrong.  Americans defintely DO like their fast food joints better than grocery or resturant cooking.

You need to understand how things were in the past.  Before home consoles got big nobody thought people would give up the luxury of the arcade environment/experience for a system that you just slouch down in your couch to play without any of that arcade environment allure (lights, music, noises, happy excited crowds, etc.).

But you know what got the home consoles to sell?... Portability.  Videogame entertainment right in your own home.  You lose all the glamour (resturants/groceries) but the portability is what short sighted users want.  The same thing will soon be happening with the new round of portables (smart phones and handhelds) Vs the old round of portables (home consoles).

No one ever thinks of home consoles as being portable, but at one time that was their allure.  Portable because it was always with you, compared to the older tech at the time (arcades).

Then I can take your points and add this.... Zoom back to the success of Atari...  What happened in the early 80s?  The videogame crash... Why did it happen?  Because there were tons of crap games being dumped on the Atari 2600.  This can be compared to where the app game market resides right now (granted that some are improving in quality).  There are so many apps that it may be hard for an uniformed person to pick the correct games they might like.  The only thing that saves it is that these aren't dedicated gaming devices.  You can still make phone calls (that is what you are supposed to do with it in the first place), text, surf internet, etc.  The only thing that saves the game apps from a crash is because they are on a device that isn't dedicated soley for gaming.  If you had this model on a pure gaming device then I am sure it would follow in the footsteps of Atari.

Seece said:
Jumpin said:

Your imagination is one thing, but do you have any data to back it up? The DS has outsold all other gaming consoles to ever be launched. The mobile phone market is not effecting DS, in the same way that the flash game market is not effecting console games.

You didn't take my analogy fully into consideration either. When people buy a mobile phone, what is the main reason they are buying it? When people go to the gas station, what is the main reason they are going there? How about people going to a restaraunt or a grocery store? How about people buying a dedicated gaming console?

People who go to the gas station might get a snack just because it is convenient to do so; and the same thing for people who buy games on phones. If people want a meal, they go to a restaraunt, not the gas station; the same way that if gamers want a full and original gaming experience, they go to a gaming console, not a mobile phone.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Conegamer said:

No, my point is in general, the reason the IPhone isn't a viable gaming platform is because it doesn'thave any good games and has reached saturation. No major 3rd party dev (Sega, Activision etc.) are going to invest heavily in that sort of market. Until they do, mobile gaming can't, and won't, take off...

The games there are fine, for a short spell, but when I want something comprehensive I turn to m DS, Wii, 360 or 3DS. Playing on my mobile never even crosses my mind...

No, it's still a stupiad comparison. Come up with a decent one if you want to try and convince me.

Your reasoning is stupid as well, Iphone gaming seems to be thriving, and offering people (even DS owners) the perfect way to game for them. I know of a girl that had a DS for gaming on long journeys, but stopped using it once she got an iphone.

it's not debateable that DS games are better quality, they are. But some people (actually a lot) just don't care, they're looking for a quick portable gaming fix for on the train to work, and since games are soaring on iphone ect, that's proof.

Around the Network
Seece said:
Conegamer said:
Seece said:
Conegamer said:

No, it's still a stupiad comparison. Come up with a decent one if you want to try and convince me.

Your reasoning is stupid as well, Iphone gaming seems to be thriving, and offering people (even some DS owners) the perfect way to game for them. I know of a girl that had a DS for gaming on long journeys, but stopped using it once she got an iphone.

it's not debateable that DS games are better quality, they are. But some people (actually a lot) just don't care, they're looking for a quick portable gaming fix for on the train to work, and since games are soaring on iphone ect, that's proof.

Then those are the consumers that Nintendo shouldn't be too concerned about losing.  So what if they left Nintendo for app gaming?  If they are only looking for a quick fix then so be it.  If they want to play with well designed games and Nintendo IPs then they have to get a Nintendo system.  If the consumer can't understand that Nintendo offers new ways of playing through their hardware then so be it.  Let me know how your friend's battery life is after playing a game, surfing the net, listening to music, and then OH MY GOD!!! an actual phone call?  Is that what that device is for?  To talk?  I never knew....

The app market looks to me like the video game industry did right before the 80s crash.  Has a few good games and then a bunch of crap games.  Nintendo will never follow this path because they know what happened in the past.  Like I said before in a post in this thread.  The only thing that saves app gaming from crashing is because they are on devices that aren't dedicated gaming devices.  If you had app market just for a dedicated gaming machine it would be Atari all over again.

greenmedic88 said:

The size/quality issue is fast becoming a non-issue for the iOS and Android markets.

There will always be free and $.99 cent apps for the simple fact that users continue to purchase and download them. But the belief that these are the only options available couldn't be further from reality.

Final Fantasy III on iOS was just released. Square Enix has an entire back catalog of games on iOS at a fraction of the price they sell for on dedicated handheld platforms with more to come. They look better than other portable versions too.

I'm beginning to suspect that everyone who thinks all the games available on smartphone platforms are low quality throwaway titles don't actually own one and have minimal if any experience using one as they have little to no knowledge of either what's available or what's being developed by publishers ranging from one-man garage developers to the Square Enix, Activision and Electronic Arts of the soft publishing world. Just in the past year alone, the smartphone games market has changed drastically in terms of resources being invested by the majors.

Granted, personal preference in gaming platforms is just that; personal preference. But don't try to fool yourself into thinking they aren't being treated as soft development platforms by the major publishers for past and future projects.

i just wanted to highlight those few sections so i could completely agree with you.

i still expect that i'll get either a 3DS or NGP at some point but the iphone has taken over a majority of my portable gaming use.  people are way too quick to dismis apple.

sethnintendo said:
Seece said:
Conegamer said:

Your reasoning is stupid as well, Iphone gaming seems to be thriving, and offering people (even some DS owners) the perfect way to game for them. I know of a girl that had a DS for gaming on long journeys, but stopped using it once she got an iphone.

Then those are the consumers that Nintendo shouldn't be too concerned about losing.  So what if they left Nintendo for app gaming?  If they are only looking for a quick fix then so be it.  If they want to play with well designed games and Nintendo IPs then they have to get a Nintendo system.  If the consumer can't understand that Nintendo offers new ways of playing through their hardware then so be it.  Let me know how your friend's battery life is after playing a game, surfing the net, listening to music, and then OH MY GOD!!! an actual phone call?  Is that what that device is for?  To talk?  I never knew....

The app market looks to me like the video game industry did right before the 80s crash.  Has a few good games and then a bunch of crap games.  Nintendo will never follow this path because they know what happened in the past.  Like I said before in a post in this thread.  The only thing that saves app gaming from crashing is because they are on devices that aren't dedicated gaming devices.  If you had app market just for a dedicated gaming machine it would be Atari all over again.

I don't even know what point you're trying to make anymore, apart from talking about the 80's crash as if you know anything about it LOL you wernt even born in the 80's :-S

As always, hot air.

^ I was born in 82 and I grew up on the Atari 2600 before the NES.  Sure I was too young at the time to remember any of it, but I did start my gaming experience on the machine that lead to the crash.

I was talking about the app market being saturated with not so great games (there are only a few good games).  That is the same thing that happened to Atari which lead to the crash.  I said the only reason why the app gaming market won't crash is because it is available for devices with other uses (phone, internet, etc).  If the app gaming market was just on a dedicated gaming device (no other uses except gaming) then it would follow in the same steps as Atari.

sethnintendo said:

Then I can take your points and add this.... Zoom back to the success of Atari...  What happened in the early 80s?  The videogame crash... Why did it happen?  Because there were tons of crap games being dumped on the Atari 2600.  This can be compared to where the app game market resides right now (granted that some are improving in quality).  There are so many apps that it may be hard for an uniformed person to pick the correct games they might like.  The only thing that saves it is that these aren't dedicated gaming devices.  You can still make phone calls (that is what you are supposed to do with it in the first place), text, surf internet, etc.  The only thing that saves the game apps from a crash is because they are on a device that isn't dedicated soley for gaming.  If you had this model on a pure gaming device then I am sure it would follow in the footsteps of Atari.

Good point.  I think back then, however, people actually wanted quality games, and so these quick amatuer games really made people upset and lose faith.

But it's not the same today.  Everybody is going crazy for general computing devices.  Everything is a freakin smart phone from Apple's perspective (Mac air, ipad/pod/touch), and of course everyone is following in their footsteps.  People actually WANT half assed apps these days.  It's sad but true.

Applications (of ALL sorts) used to have their own dedicated devices on which they worked best, but clearly those days are dissapearing.  People just want apps that work okay, or well enough.  So they want a general computing device (smartphone usually) to have all their half assed apps on.

The same crap games that made up the 80's crash are coming again.  But people are not dissatisfied this time.  That is where the state of gaming is going.