By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN vs XBL which is better?

PSN vs XBL which is better?

PSN 187 40.22%

XBL 206 44.30%

SAME 34 7.31%

obama saved or created 465 million jobs 36 7.74%

Total:463
smroadkill15 said:

(a list of stuff)

the most common thing in the list is voice chat, and knowing almost everything what your friends are doing. including their profile.  DLC is a given. that is pretty much what you're paying for.

It should be free...

so what do you get for not paying? 

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:

This list is not nearly as in depth as some others, but there is a whole lot of reasons why xbl is better. I'm comparing Free version of PSN. There are some big things that make XBL better like party chat and faster downloads, but it's the little things that go unnoticed that make a difference

True Skill matchmaking: Matches you with players that are around the same skill level.

psn has this

Cross game chat: Chat with anyone any time.

yes, but psn has voice chat with people in the same game as you, which is what matters, it also has something like 30 person cross game txt chat, with any keyboard support.

Voice messages: Send voice messages.

Party Chat: 8 people in a party playing, watching, or doing whatever you want.

this is pretty much the exact same thing as cross game chat, ur counting it twice, also psn has party chat for people in the same game (depending on the game)

Background downloads: Download items while playing games or doing whatever.

same with psn

Faster and better connection: Downloads are fast, finding games are faster, faster updates and less lag.

not true, this has to do with your internet connection, so unless you have two different internets in your house they are the same. infact ps3 has a faster ethernet port speed, it 1 GBps connection, and xbox only has 100 MBps ethernet

Player profile: player bio, gamerzone, etc. You can see more in depth of what games people are playing  with details like what game type, map, etc.

psn has this too, you go to ur friends list and click on profile, you can even see their trophies and compare them to yours, you can see what the are doing, what they are watching/playing, what map they are playing and which gametype.

Playing with friends: You can have more than one person log into XBL on one Xbox, while you can only have one at a time on PSN. 

you can do this with psn, look no further than resistance 2

User friendly:  A lot easier to navigate then PSN especially for casual gamers. The dashboard is a lot better implemented onto XBL to make it fell like it's all one thing.

i know this is opinion, but are you kidding, it doesnt get much simpler than this:

you can see anything you want all on the same screen, with no adds poping up. on xbox everything is hidden you have to go through several pages to find what you want, then have to go down a few levels sometimes too. you also can barely see your theme on xbox, on ps3 you see everything, its all right there in front of you. please try to tell me with a straight face that you would at all even the slighest bit get confused with the xmb.

Demos: A lot more demos. Every Arcade game and Indie game has a demo along with most full retailer games have demos.

i wouldnt say a lot more, but really psn gets demos for all the major games, xbox just gets them for the major games and also the crappy ones noone cares about.

Arcade games: More and better arcade games on XBL. Almost or all arcade games have leaderboards to compare against friends. 

completely subjective. psn has tons of exclusives, echochrome, stardust, wipeout, gravity crashers, motorstorm 3d,etc

DLC: XBL has more DLC support and usually gets DLC first via COD and Fallout.

ok so now call of duty and one fallout map counts as usually gets dlc first/more support. well what about batman, deadspace, medal of honor, and many more, also the other 99% of games where they come out at the same time.

Re-downloads: You can re-download anything as many times as you want if you delete it. Can’t do the same on PSN.

i get to download my psp/ps3 games as many times as i want, and then up to 5 times install it to other systems, all for free. that means if i buy something like dlc on my p3, 4 of my friends can get it for free

Apps: Twitter, Last FM, and ESPN.

ps3 has twitter and facebook apps, as well as access to the full websites, of everysite.  

Deal of the week: Weekly deals and there are awesome deals during holidays like Christmas or most recently April 1ST

psn has weekly deals too, and then when you include psn plus (which is $10 cheaper than live) you get an exoberant amount of discounts and free stuff

Kinect Video: Live video chat with anyone.

ps eye, you can live chat with anyone, also have video confernces with multiple people

Yearly updates: XBL has had HUGE yearly dashboard updates to improve XBL and make huge drastic changes. PSN does have more frequent updates, but not nearly as big. 

so now one big update is better than a several smaller ones, and the occassional huge one. hmm

Videos: There is MSNBC, Major Minute, Kinect Show, isentuamessage, talking with tina, IGN strategizer, and other videos you can watch on XBL from the dashboard.

psn gets things like that to through either the psn store or web browser. and are you really counting msnbc as a pro?

Game with Fame and Developers: You get the chance to play agianst famous folk and you can play with the developers. 

psn has that to, just a few month ago, i was playing with naughy dogs

Netflix: I know PSN has Netflix, but it runs better on XBL along with parties you can watch with friends. You can also see what movies your friends are watching.

well other than wathing a movie with your friend netflix is better on psn, superior surround sound support as well as 1080 streaming

Game installs: Game installs are optional, but you have the choice to install every single game you own to make them run faster and smoother.

first off this has nothing to do with live, and many of you other points are very borderline having nothing to do with live, but especially this one. but psn has game installs too, and most ps3 exclusives dont need one becasue they run perfectly with no loading screens

Population: More users on XBL. You have a better chance of playing against different people on XBL. 

not true at all, xbl gold has around 10 million subscibers. psn has over 60 million (though i dont know how many are active ps3 accounts), but its about the same player count. last time i checked BLOPs it had over 600,000 playing and that was a couple weeks ago.

XBL rewards: If you join the rewards program you can get free MS points and have chances to win pretty big prizes. 

psn has this too

wow it seems psn has almost exactly the same stuff live has and for free

Xbox LIVE is the best hands down! Anyone else saying otherwise is just a fanboy. I've owned a PS3 before and the online service is nowhere near as good as LIVE.

You pay for LIVE for a reason.

CoLdFuSioN167 said:

Xbox LIVE is the best hands down! Anyone else saying otherwise is just a fanboy. I've owned a PS3 before and the online service is nowhere near as good as LIVE.

You pay for LIVE for a reason.

So you're forced to pay to have fun, otherwise if you don't its just a box right?

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
osamanobama said:
smroadkill15 said:

This list is not nearly as in depth as some others, but there is a whole lot of reasons why xbl is better. I'm comparing Free version of PSN. There are some big things that make XBL better like party chat and faster downloads, but it's the little things that go unnoticed that make a difference

True Skill matchmaking: Matches you with players that are around the same skill level.

psn has this

Cross game chat: Chat with anyone any time.

yes, but psn has voice chat with people in the same game as you, which is what matters, it also has something like 30 person cross game txt chat, with any keyboard support.

Voice messages: Send voice messages.

Party Chat: 8 people in a party playing, watching, or doing whatever you want.

this is pretty much the exact same thing as cross game chat, ur counting it twice, also psn has party chat for people in the same game (depending on the game)

Background downloads: Download items while playing games or doing whatever.

same with psn

Faster and better connection: Downloads are fast, finding games are faster, faster updates and less lag.

not true, this has to do with your internet connection, so unless you have two different internets in your house they are the same. infact ps3 has a faster ethernet port speed, it 1 GBps connection, and xbox only has 100 MBps ethernet

Player profile: player bio, gamerzone, etc. You can see more in depth of what games people are playing  with details like what game type, map, etc.

psn has this too, you go to ur friends list and click on profile, you can even see their trophies and compare them to yours, you can see what the are doing, what they are watching/playing, what map they are playing and which gametype.

Playing with friends: You can have more than one person log into XBL on one Xbox, while you can only have one at a time on PSN. 

you can do this with psn, look no further than resistance 2

User friendly:  A lot easier to navigate then PSN especially for casual gamers. The dashboard is a lot better implemented onto XBL to make it fell like it's all one thing.

i know this is opinion, but are you kidding, it doesnt get much simpler than this:

you can see anything you want all on the same screen, with no adds poping up. on xbox everything is hidden you have to go through several pages to find what you want, then have to go down a few levels sometimes too. you also can barely see your theme on xbox, on ps3 you see everything, its all right there in front of you. please try to tell me with a straight face that you would at all even the slighest bit get confused with the xmb.

Demos: A lot more demos. Every Arcade game and Indie game has a demo along with most full retailer games have demos.

i wouldnt say a lot more, but really psn gets demos for all the major games, xbox just gets them for the major games and also the crappy ones noone cares about.

Arcade games: More and better arcade games on XBL. Almost or all arcade games have leaderboards to compare against friends. 

completely subjective. psn has tons of exclusives, echochrome, stardust, wipeout, gravity crashers, motorstorm 3d,etc

DLC: XBL has more DLC support and usually gets DLC first via COD and Fallout.

ok so now call of duty and one fallout map counts as usually gets dlc first/more support. well what about batman, deadspace, medal of honor, and many more, also the other 99% of games where they come out at the same time.

Re-downloads: You can re-download anything as many times as you want if you delete it. Can’t do the same on PSN.

i get to download my psp/ps3 games as many times as i want, and then up to 5 times install it to other systems, all for free. that means if i buy something like dlc on my p3, 4 of my friends can get it for free

Apps: Twitter, Last FM, and ESPN.

ps3 has twitter and facebook apps, as well as access to the full websites, of everysite.  

Deal of the week: Weekly deals and there are awesome deals during holidays like Christmas or most recently April 1ST

psn has weekly deals too, and then when you include psn plus (which is $10 cheaper than live) you get an exoberant amount of discounts and free stuff

Kinect Video: Live video chat with anyone.

ps eye, you can live chat with anyone, also have video confernces with multiple people

Yearly updates: XBL has had HUGE yearly dashboard updates to improve XBL and make huge drastic changes. PSN does have more frequent updates, but not nearly as big. 

so now one big update is better than a several smaller ones, and the occassional huge one. hmm

Videos: There is MSNBC, Major Minute, Kinect Show, isentuamessage, talking with tina, IGN strategizer, and other videos you can watch on XBL from the dashboard.

psn gets things like that to through either the psn store or web browser. and are you really counting msnbc as a pro?

Game with Fame and Developers: You get the chance to play agianst famous folk and you can play with the developers. 

psn has that to, just a few month ago, i was playing with naughy dogs

Netflix: I know PSN has Netflix, but it runs better on XBL along with parties you can watch with friends. You can also see what movies your friends are watching.

well other than wathing a movie with your friend netflix is better on psn, superior surround sound support as well as 1080 streaming

Game installs: Game installs are optional, but you have the choice to install every single game you own to make them run faster and smoother.

first off this has nothing to do with live, and many of you other points are very borderline having nothing to do with live, but especially this one. but psn has game installs too, and most ps3 exclusives dont need one becasue they run perfectly with no loading screens

Population: More users on XBL. You have a better chance of playing against different people on XBL. 

not true at all, xbl gold has around 10 million subscibers. psn has over 60 million (though i dont know how many are active ps3 accounts), but its about the same player count. last time i checked BLOPs it had over 600,000 playing and that was a couple weeks ago.

XBL rewards: If you join the rewards program you can get free MS points and have chances to win pretty big prizes. 

psn has this too

wow it seems psn has almost exactly the same stuff live has and for free

Not really, a lot of those features are half assed or only done so they can tick a checkbox.  For a lot of people if they were on Live and went to PSN they'd be like "why can't I do this shit?" whereas people getting into Live are like "hey, that's pretty nice."

It's pretty stupid of you to say x-game chat and voicemail outside of games are useless, my gf uses it all the time to talk to clanmates, friends, and people she just played.  Since everyone gets a mic, everyone can talk.  You might say that's a bad thing, but I'd rather have everyone be able to talk and mute the annoying ones rather than nobody talking because not everyone has a mic.

The 1Gbs vs 100 Mps is stupid, you aren't going to go faster than the WAN connection anyway, but it's another useless checkmark in your console comparison, kind of like the nonfunctional web browser that works in theory but is a pain to use.

About the game demos for all Live games, I like being able to try any game before I buy it.  "Crappy games nobody cares about" is subjective, so get off your high horse.  Multiple logins is nice, almost all of the Live games support it whereas you can only point to 1 game that really allows it and somehow it makes it all equal.  It isn't, the devs have to write it in whereas MS built the OS and network from the ground up to accomodate it from the early Xbox 1 days.  Come back when the majority of multiplayer titles support the feature, then they can compare.

Also, somebody with Live and PSN needs to get on right away and compare player counts.  I really really doubt that for a game like BLOPs the player count even compares.  Besides, all the best players are on Live anyways.  Don't see any PS3s at MLG for shooters, do you?

Really, you get what you pay for.  If you don't think it's fair, don't buy it.  You aren't going to change the other million or so people who actually do enjoy it.

Around the Network
youarebadatgames said:
osamanobama said:
smroadkill15 said:

Not really, a lot of those features are half assed or only done so they can tick a checkbox.  For a lot of people if they were on Live and went to PSN they'd be like "why can't I do this shit?" whereas people getting into Live are like "hey, that's pretty nice."

sure, i could randomly say the same thing for live, doesnt mean its true

It's pretty stupid of you to say x-game chat and voicemail outside of games are useless, my gf uses it all the time to talk to clanmates, friends, and people she just played.  Since everyone gets a mic, everyone can talk.  You might say that's a bad thing, but I'd rather have everyone be able to talk and mute the annoying ones rather than nobody talking because not everyone has a mic.

i nevr said voicemeail was useless, and all i said was x game chat nt very important, in game is WAYYY more important, and i love that i can use any mic of my choosing. i would say about 25% of psn has mics and do mics still come with the slim xbox.

The 1Gbs vs 100 Mps is stupid, you aren't going to go faster than the WAN connection anyway, but it's another useless checkmark in your console comparison, kind of like the nonfunctional web browser that works in theory but is a pain to use.

my point was they are the same speed, and depending on ur internet speed ps3 can be potentially faster.

About the game demos for all Live games, I like being able to try any game before I buy it.  "Crappy games nobody cares about" is subjective, so get off your high horse.  Multiple logins is nice, almost all of the Live games support it whereas you can only point to 1 game that really allows it and somehow it makes it all equal.  It isn't, the devs have to write it in whereas MS built the OS and network from the ground up to accomodate it from the early Xbox 1 days.  Come back when the majority of multiplayer titles support the feature, then they can compare.

my point was most games on psn have demos and all the good ones do. but having demos for all games is still a plus for live

as for the bolded, link? if the devs feel like having their game use multiple accounts nothing is keeping them from doing it

Also, somebody with Live and PSN needs to get on right away and compare player counts.  I really really doubt that for a game like BLOPs the player count even compares.  Besides, all the best players are on Live anyways.  Don't see any PS3s at MLG for shooters, do you?

well even if during the time that i saw more than 600,000 on psn, there were all 10 milion live users on blops, i still dont think it would be significant becasue youre not going to have any difficulty finding a game with that amount. last time i was uncharted there was ~30,000 players, and i never had a hard time playing a game, i got in quickly and fill full games. and do you have a source for all the best players play on Live. because i think psn has all the best player, my source, my arse. also there is MLG for ps3

Really, you get what you pay for.  If you don't think it's fair, don't buy it.  You aren't going to change the other million or so people who actually do enjoy it.

as for last bolded statement

so you pay $60 to use msn chat? and ur own internet connection

Slimebeast said:

Xbox Live must be doing something right when there's over 10 million subscribers willing to pay $50 per year for it.

Actually its closer to 20 million I think.

yo_john117 said:
Slimebeast said:

Xbox Live must be doing something right when there's over 10 million subscribers willing to pay $50 60 per year for it.

thats including non gold, gold is around ~10 million

osamanobama said:
yo_john117 said:
Slimebeast said:

Xbox Live must be doing something right when there's over 10 million subscribers willing to pay $50 60 per year for it.

thats including non gold, gold is around ~10 million

It's was 30 millions xbl users and about 15 million active users in January. Link

zgamer5 said:

yes ps3 fans would vote for ps3 but their are many people who are ps3 fans but they also enjoy and play on both systems, so they woudnt be biased.

the results areant that surprising, as any one who says that psn is better then xbl is delusional, that is without taking into account the price.

YAY WE AGREE

absolutely its whether the price makes up for it, i personally think it does some may not

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752