By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - PSN vs XBL which is better?

PSN vs XBL which is better?

PSN 187 40.22%

XBL 206 44.30%

SAME 34 7.31%

obama saved or created 465 million jobs 36 7.74%

Total:463

i want to know which you guys think is better?

both services are great and allow you to do a multitude of stuff, but....

i think psn is better (i know, you guys are shocked) mainly becasue its FREE, even if it cost up to $20 i would think its better, if it cost between $21-$40 i would think they are the same. if it cost more than $40 then i would say xbl is better.

heres why:

people pay $60 for what?

xbl has hardly any dedicated server games (playstation has way more)

xbl has small multiplayer counts, i think the most so far is 24. (psn has 30, 32, 60, and i believe 256)

xbl has no internet browser.

xbl is very closed network (cant get games with features like LBP and Portal)

xbl started the paid DLC

psn has netflix, vudoo, mlb.tv, nhl network, hulu, and even espn3 through the browser (all of these at no extra charge)

psn also allows you to use any mic you want whether its blue tooth, usb, or radio frequencies.

the only thing xbl has the psn doesnt (though the free Steam does) is cross game chat.

Microsoft basically is charging you $60 per year to access you own internet connection, since the overwelming majority of their games use P2P (which is making one person with paid for interntet service the host, and using their own connection to set up the game, so microsoft is not involved at all).

psn dedicated server games that i can think of off the top of my head are:

Resistance FOM, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Warhawk, Socom Confrontation, Socom 4, MAG, and Demon's Souls.

and to my knowledge most if not all dedicated server games for ps3 are 1st/2nd party, which mean Sony has a better reason to charge for online becasue they actually have a cost to maintain the servers.

if xbox does have any dedicated server games, they are (most llikely) not 1st party which still means its no cost to microsoft, the cost goes to which every company has the servers. 

theres a reason paid for windows live failed. PC people knew that werent paying for anything, they were getting scammed.

so share you opinions please

*credit damefan and all his widsom for this thread idea*

Around the Network

Just a quick question.  What does xbl have to do with games not having more than 24 player count,  isn't that up to the developer?

Ricoswuave38 said:

Just a quick question.  What does xbl have to do with games not having more than 24 player count,  isn't that up to the developer?

i dont know exactly, i assume it has to do with lack of dedicated servers

it's a matter of opinion...

but I do enjoy PSN better(especailly after getting PS plus)

osamanobama said:
Ricoswuave38 said:

It's a developer responsibility to have dedicated servers in their game and their responsibility to keep them running. Has nothing to do with the services nor sony/microsoft.

"Defeating a sandwich, only makes it tastier." - Virginia

Around the Network

@OP your post could have sounded a less bit anti Xbox, your about to have the rain come down on you. IMHO i gotta give it to PSN, for the simple fact they dont charge you to use a portion of a game you bought. Cross game chat??? why the hell do i want to speak to someone who is not playing the game i am?? If i wanna talk to my friend that badly thats what phones are for. ive used both and the XBL interface is a little bit better. I ask all my friends what makes it worth it and they all say because their friends have it. 

osamanobama said:
Ricoswuave38 said:

But aren't the most played multiplayer games on non dedicated servers, and have 24 or less player count?  I mean i am just assuming here.

Rational thread...bravo

oniyide said:

@OP your post could have sounded a less bit anti Xbox, your about to have the rain come down on you. IMHO i gotta give it to PSN, for the simple fact they dont charge you to use a portion of a game you bought. Cross game chat??? why the hell do i want to speak to someone who is not playing the game i am?? If i wanna talk to my friend that badly thats what phones are for. ive used both and the XBL interface is a little bit better. I ask all my friends what makes it worth it and they all say because their friends have it. 

i love xbl, like i said in the op depending on the price of psn i think it is better, the same or even worse.

i think they are close to the same, but price is the main factor

Chroniczaaa said:
osamanobama said:
Ricoswuave38 said:

It's a developer responsibility to have dedicated servers in their game and their responsibility to keep them running. Has nothing to do with the services nor sony/microsoft.

Its not. If the publisher doesn't agree to dedicated servers then it doesn't help. For eg. Demon's Souls has Sony servers for Japan, and some other server for US and EU(I am not sure who owns the servers though).