By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your Thoughts: PSP outselling 3DS in Japan!

Your Thoughts: PSP outselling 3DS in Japan!

GODDAMN! PSP is destroying! 136 51.71%

3DS will be on top again soon in Japan! 54 20.53%

Who cares?PSP is dead! 73 27.76%

Total:263

PSP is getting more games over there than almost everything combined (an exaggeration but still.......)

Once software support shifts to 3DS and eventually NGP, there will be a huge PSP decline. If the handheld still manages to sell for a bit after that, color me impressed.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Around the Network

Thats what happens when you charge that much $ and your big added upgrade (That many may not want, or like) 3Dgraphics not a added way to play. Im sure theres serveral reasons for it and I dont think it will be a normal occurrence once the games gets rolling.

3DS really need a mario or pokemon series, have everybody forgotten nintendo hardware only sell better with first-party games like mario and pokemon...

DS was so popular when it launch is because of its new way touch-screen games playing, that's why from kids to elderly all buying it, cause it is really a fun game device for every age, same thing goes to Wii...

in japan this 3D stuff are not as fresh as the touch-screen like before, that's why not all age going for it anymore, but i still believe when mario or pokemon title comes out will give it a big boost again...

^^^thats not really fair, most system successors are not big gameplay changes. Master system - Genesis, Nes - SNES, GB-GBc, GBC-GBA, etc, they didnt add anything different to the gameplay really, but all did ok

PSP 1/2 the price, tons of games.

3DS 2x the price handful of games.

That is all.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

Around the Network

In Japan, portable sales are generally linked to the weekly releases. There was a big initial rush when the 3DS debuted and now that the rush is over, consumers are more likely to be swayed by new software releases than just the prospect of buying a new handheld.

Sales will fluctuate based on new releases and currently, there really isn't anything major being released for the 3DS.

Until developers shift their major IPs over to the 3DS and taper off DS support, other than the prospect of having the latest handheld, there really isn't a compelling reason to jump on a new platform until the games a consumer wants to play are only available on that latest platform.

By the same token, when soft support tapers off further on the PSP as development shifts to the NGP, watch sales taper off accordingly.

It's not exactly complicated the way this works.

To the best of my knowledge, wasn't it the most successful launch of all time? 

And don't forget, the DS only sold like 10 mil for it's first couple years. It only went banzai when the price dropped and the DS Lite came out

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

And don't forget, the DS only sold like 10 mil for it's first couple years. It only went banzai when the price dropped and the DS Lite came out

With the added 2DMario and games catalog it was building. Though to be honest im nervous they will mess up the 2D Mario by making a few levels or parts of them need to be using the 3D to 100% it, or just find some secrets.

Games4Fun said:
Conegamer said:

With the added 2DMario and games catalog it was building. Though to be honest im nervous they will mess up the 2D Mario by making a few levels or parts of them need to be using the 3D to 100% it, or just find some secrets.

Precisely, it was building. What can the 3DS build from, to exactly? It's been out for far too short a time to build up a catalogue, after all...

As for the MArio game, we know too little. Though, knowing Nintendo and MArio, I have full faith they won't mess it up

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

3DS will boost its sales, once Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Pokemon, Monster Hunter, New Super Mario Bros are released. 3DS has been aout for a month without new releases, let's wait alittle bit to check what happens.