By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Your Thoughts: PSP outselling 3DS in Japan!

Your Thoughts: PSP outselling 3DS in Japan!

GODDAMN! PSP is destroying! 136 51.71%

3DS will be on top again soon in Japan! 54 20.53%

Who cares?PSP is dead! 73 27.76%

Total:263
Naum said:

That's easy, it's called FFIV.

man i wanna see what numbers PSP is doing when FF Type-0 is releasing o.O

Around the Network
kitler53 said:

i'm torn between  happy that sony is doing so well (as i am of course a fanboy) and sad about what this may mean for the future of 3D entertainment (of which i'm also a fanboy).

Wierd, me too :).

@OP: (haven't read past kitler's port yet:P) Not shortages i guess at those minbers but might be. Price and earthquake? No games? 

oniyide said:

^^^thats not true, their was Game Gear and Lynx, they just couldnt move the units that Game Boy was doing. PSP is the only one to release and not get its ass TOTALLY kicked. most successful non-Ninty portable made

It's true really. The only reason why the PSP is considered "not successful" is because it's only compared with the sales performance of the DS line, which will likely end up as the best selling console/handheld of all time.

Considering SCE went from 0% marketshare to over 30% in a single generation over a period of more than 5 years (meaning it wasn't prematurely axed), it did pretty well if the expectation wasn't that the PSP should have been the handheld market leader.

According the SCE's 2/25/11 press release, "Since launching in 2005, the PSP system has sold more than 23 million* units in North America and 67.8 million worldwide"

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/110228_e.html

No other non-Nintendo handheld has come anywhere remotely even close to those numbers. Game Gear at 11m is the next best seller.

But make no mistake; the PSP is a dying platform on its last legs and it will be interesting to see how long SCE keeps it in production after the debut of the NGP. It likely depends entirely upon the margins they're making on each unit at $129 and whether they can sell them even cheaper and still remain profitable.

hasnt the 3ds been pretty dry in japan for software for the past month? idk ill wait but good job psp nice jump was this because of ff4?

If this is still happening when the likes of Zelda and RE (and Mario Kart perhaps?) are released later in the year, then that would be a cause for concern. It needed a better day 1 launch lineup, because as successful as Nintendogs was on the DS, I don't think it is the type of game that could enjoy sequel after sequel with the same success in the same way that a Mario or Zelda would.

So basically, until the big franchises turn up, it's just silly e-peen waving.

VGChartz

Around the Network
retroking1981 said:

the begining of the end of nintendo.

3ds could end up not doing very well. i suffered the same problems of headaches etc which are being widely reported in the press. its all a bit virtual boy imo.

i think wii2 will suffer a similar fate and by 2020 we could all be playing mario on xbox and pokemon on apple

No you didn't! All those reports are lies!! (according to most users of these forums). The other day I mentioned that I got headaches using the 3ds and was massively attacked by the ninty fans who ended up telling me that there is something wrong with my eyes and the whole thing is a myth.

OT: I'm pretty sure that the 3ds will do fine. It doesn't cost much (unlike the ps3/psp) so Nintendo can easily cut the price and see the sales skyrocket (not that it's not doing great already).

Having said that, I think the 3ds is a bad move from Nintendo. Part of the reason the ds was so succesful was it's low price. Parents could quite easily afford it for their children, but now it's seems too expensive for a gift (IMHO). Plus although the 3d could be turned off, the parents would be reluctant to buy something that could cause their kids headaches.

I think people have been saying that it's due to some shortages or something that the 3DS isn't selling more, but nevertheless, it shows that there is still a market for the PSP giving the right games. I plan to buy the FF IV: collecion when it comes out so hang in there PSP, you still got fans.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Japanese and their RPG's.....

wait until FF/DQ/Tales of/Pokemon/Mario/Animal Crossing/Zelda, come out for 3DS

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

probably down to limited availability. also no software

ZOMFG, D0m3d!!!  =8-O 

OK, more seriously

PSP. Quite affordable, huge SW library, very good line-up of titles launched or to be launched this year

3DS. Its SW library will grow, but it's still small, HW is not very affordable, and finally, bad karma: crime doesn't pay, neither do Nintendogs   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!