By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - XENOGEARS: My COMPREHENSIVE review (with no spoilers!)

Awesome review Xen. T'was a nice morning read before lectures start lol!

Can't wait to play it, what did you think of Xenosaga in comparison?

And this review just reminds me that you used to be one of the best news writers on the site, reclaim your role on staff!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Very nice review, may just have to play it now...

Have you played Xenoblade yet? For comparison?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

@noname: Holy shit, that is awesome. I will be checking all of them out, probably! Ingame images help.

@darth: thanks, though I don't think I'll be returning to the team after leaving... it just changed too much. Also, no thoughts on Xenosaga, haven't played it just yet...

@cone: I don't have a Wii, nor do I know Japanese... I'm working on both.

noname2200 said:
Xen said:

Funnily enough, the controls in the game are great and the various minigames in it never get boring and are better than in most RPG's - try out the arena gear battles, preferrably with a friend. And using peoples heads' as leverage also never gets old.

First off, add me to the list of "good review" people.  I would say that I disagree with you about both of these points though:  I found the controls somewhat frustrating, since the game occasionally tries to be a platformer (Tower of Babel: WHY?!!!), and I thought the arena battles were tedious.  Other than that, I can agree with most of what you said. 

Although if you're looking for a humorous (and more accurate than it should be) summary of the plot, look no further than A Rope of Robots.  The characters and plot are often ripe for parody, and it's a shame so few are willing to mine them...

On a related note, it was kind of a bummer that they apparently ran out of time and/or money.  Disc 1 was generally interesting, especially as it got towards the end.  Disc 2 was an aborted mess that tried to jam in as much plot in five hours as Disc 1 did in fifty, with predictable and lamentable results.

I think the reason for that is a lot of its budget was taken away and given to FF8

darthdevidem01 said:

I think the reason for that is a lot of its budget was taken away and given to FF8

I'd have to check the dates, but it's possible.  Most likely though the developers either didn't budget properly or their ambitions exceeded their ability.  This wouldn't be the first game that got cut short because the developers tried to do more than they reasonably could with their time/money.

Around the Network
Packie said:

very well written and informative review.

I was really interested in the game until "You play as Fei, an amnesiac martial artist...". the freakin' amnesia plot device strikes again. <_<

Yeah...but I always fealt like this is amnesia plot done well.  Xenogears is one of my favorite games but I think this is a great review.

adriane23 said:

Good job. You mention that it should've been a trilogy, but did you see the end credits that indicated this was episode 5?

yea alot of people think that xenosaga is parts 1-3

Excellent review if i might say. Never played the game but it makes me want to try it. One day one day :D

noname2200 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

I'd have to check the dates, but it's possible.  Most likely though the developers either didn't budget properly or their ambitions exceeded their ability.  This wouldn't be the first game that got cut short because the developers tried to do more than they reasonably could with their time/money.

It almost certainly happened, there was a very credible source for that rumor and kinda lets me know why Takahashi didn't make Xenosaga with square but with Namco (unless there was some other reason for that).

Greatest RPG ever created with a perfect battlesystem Turnbased combo system

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints