By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Where Would Gaming Be If PS3 Failed?*

it would be exactly where it is today minus A LOT of quality, imagination, creativity, and Move.

Around the Network
silicon said:
NotStan said:
[...]

The way I approached the question in the OP was to hypothesize the circumstances that would bring about the PS3 failing.

You're right, that's what did happen. However, if the PS3 failed, there must be a reason, since it didn't fail despite the slow start and high price, and that reason might have other implication then just PS3 failing.

I proposed that the PS3 could only die if the market shifted away from the types of games typicall found on HD consoles. If that's true then other things must be true as well. For example, the X360 would never have sold as much as the PS3 and X360 did combined, subtracting the sales of gamers that bought both. Since if the PS3 failed to sell it means that there aren't people in the market willing to buy a HD console. In my opinion the difference between the X360 and PS3 is not that great.

It is also possible that gamers are not loyal to brands. In this case the console that was released first and cheapest would be the greatest selling. This would have its own reprucussions. Game and console prices would drop. Unique IPs might do better. Nintendo might have better 3rd party support. Etc.But I don't think there is a lot of support for this argument.

Why would X360 sell more and the PS3 sell less?

Well I think what sold the PS3 the most is the fact that it had a considerable amount of IPs under it's belt from the previous gens - PS1 and PS2, Ratchet and Clank, Gran Turismo etc, and most of the studios behind the games that were considered among the most iconic of IPs for the Playstation brand. The "hardcore" gaming would have chugged along as it would have if X360 failed, either way you spin it, if either of the two failed the hardcore gaming would still be present, the difference would ofcourse be the variety in library and maybe an IP or two due to the external funding - MS funded ME1 - probably similar cases among Sony.

I think the reason as to why PS3 did NOT fail;

A new type of developing format - BluRay, when the library was not as mature as it is now, BluRay was one of the main selling points as it was the best on the market with auto updating, meaning that it was one of -if not the best investment at the time.

Severe amount of IPs and developers under the belt such as Insomaniac, Naughty Dog etc.

The selling point of PS3 as not only a gaming console but as a "media centre for entertainment"

Brand loyalty played a severe role in this I think, in Japan in particular.

MS unreliability of console early on in it's cycle, if mine broke I'd demand a refund and purchase an alternative on the market - PS3.

Good support by Sony, despite the losses they've pulled it through and now operating at a profit.

Either way, X360 appealed to the hardcore gamer as much as PS3, in terms of gaming industry and the "hardcore" segment it wouldn't have made a slight difference if either of the consoles failed - it only would have had an impact if Move and Kinect were available at launch, then maybe if either failed we'd all be playing a load of crap petting games and Yahtzee for the family.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

If PS3 failedpeople : Even more people would be paying for Xbox live. Bluray would be having an even tougher time being accepted and  that HD disk add on from the 360 wouldn't be around being used as a paper weight. No HDMI cable on the 360 and probably no 360 "Slim".  Other then pushing hardware revisions on itself and the 360 gaming would be pretty much the same. The only other influence I can think of is the Live and PSN competion for games and features.

Go Team Venture! I still don't get the Wii, PS Move,  and Kinect.

Baalzamon said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
Baalzamon said:
*Sound Of Rain said:
zgamer5 said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

Thanks for letting my thread influence you...but with all the respect I can give I don't understand your thread...PS3 didn't fail but it is last and failed to be as big as what Sony hoped for.

wow you answered yourself.

How? If PS3 failed...what would have happened...? If thats what this thread is about then it makes no since LOL...PS3 didn't influence anything in this Gen...so it would be exactly the same.

And you have direct proof that the Wii was actually an influence to games this generation?  Assuming that Kinect and Move came out because the Wii is not direct proof...there is not a single iota of direct proof out there that shows the Wii has affected gaming forever any more than the PS3 has.

Edit: Also, you should fix the original post a little...the Move was not around before Nintendo was around, Nintendo was around before the Playstation brand even existed lol.

...I don't see Microsoft or Nintendo trying to make a redesign of the Wii or 360 with BR. I do see however, Move and Kinect coming from Sony and Microsoft to try and get some Casual consumers.

That's not direct proof at all...its an assumption...while it very well could be true that it happened because of Wii, we have absolutely no clue.  I don't understand why you had to come into this thread and just troll it, I think its an interesting topic.

An opinion is an opinion...yes, nobody can prove it but you understand what I mean. I don't think I am trolling the topic I think you are trolling my post LOL. In my thread the Wii made since because it is the Gen leader and 1st to have TRUE motion controls and again IMO, Move and Kinect wouldn't have had been taken so seriously or marketed as strongly if Wii had failed if they came out at all.

Also, you are just trolling my post because you know as well as I do that Wii has had a bigger effect on gaming than PS3 has had. If anything PS3 has had an effect on gaming of what NOT to do when releasing a new system. Now they should know to not put out a $600 system at launch. 

Sony was doing the Move before Nintendo existed?

Around the Network
*Sound Of Rain said:

An opinion is an opinion...yes, nobody can prove it but you understand what I mean. I don't think I am trolling the topic I think you are trolling my post LOL. In my thread the Wii made since because it is the Gen leader and 1st to have TRUE motion controls and again IMO, Move and Kinect wouldn't have had been taken so seriously or marketed as strongly if Wii had failed if they came out at all.

Also, you are just trolling my post because you know as well as I do that Wii has had a bigger effect on gaming than PS3 has had. If anything PS3 has had an effect on gaming of what NOT to do when releasing a new system. Now they should know to not put out a $600 system at launch. 

Oh, I know what you mean, and know it is very likely Wii has had a major effect on gaming, and I am actually very very proud of that.  I just didn't think it was necessary to immediately come in here and essentially rip the original post...I've seen a couple of good ideas saying Blu-Ray was made popular, a couple of IP's wouldn't exist, etc.  Obviously, the effects aren't even close to as large as the Wii has likely had.  And yes, showing that you shouldn't launch at $600 is even an effect on gaming, but we will see if Sony learned from their own lesson when they launch the PS4 :P

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

No Uncharted 2, no GOW 3, No Last Guardian, no LBP, no Killzone 2, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
NYANKS said:
tolu619 said:
Beuli2 said:

What do you mean? Absolutely nothing would have changed, except that the current PS3 users would have bough a Xbox 360 instead.

and the wii would be in 2nd place

Are we assuming the PS3 failing is isolated or not?  Because if PS3's failure was caused by something, I don't think the 360 would necessarily be doing so awesome.  As for the Wii in second.... O_o

Only the PS3 had a shot of beating Wii this gen, and it was a very small one.

Well the general rule when it comes to alternative history is that you tweak as little as possible.  So yeah, you should assume the PS3 failure is isolated, caused either by the 360 gaining a few key exclusives, or one of Sony's execs axing it shortly after release due to all the money it was costing them, some sort of lawsuit.

As for why you tweak as little as possible... it's because otherwise you are just going to come up with any scenario you feel like.

For example... if the PS3 failed, we would all be dead, because it could be caused by a nuclear war destroying the world.

Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
tolu619 said:
Beuli2 said:

What do you mean? Absolutely nothing would have changed, except that the current PS3 users would have bough a Xbox 360 instead.

and the wii would be in 2nd place

Are we assuming the PS3 failing is isolated or not?  Because if PS3's failure was caused by something, I don't think the 360 would necessarily be doing so awesome.  As for the Wii in second.... O_o

Only the PS3 had a shot of beating Wii this gen, and it was a very small one.

Well the general rule when it comes to alternative history is that you tweak as little as possible.  So yeah, you should assume the PS3 failure is isolated, caused either by the 360 gaining a few key exclusives, or one of Sony's execs axing it shortly after release due to all the money it was costing them, some sort of lawsuit.

As for why you tweak as little as possible... it's because otherwise you are just going to come up with any scenario you feel like.

For example... if the PS3 failed, we would all be dead, because it could be caused by a nuclear war destroying the world.

No, it'd be what some people have said here.  If PS3 failed with legitimate backing by Sony, it could logically bode ill for the business model of mostly harcore games and support supported by Sony AND MS.  So, MS may very well be getting owned too.  I mean, how do they differ really?  The main difference is charging for online, which you can probably bet will be coming to the Playstation at some point. 

If PS3 had failed then it would pretty much guarantee no graphical or power improvements for next gen, just a bunch of lame gimmicky motion control stuff and casual stuff. There would probably be a  significant lack of good new IP's next gen too and more quick cash-in party games and whatnot. 

Honestly if the PS3/360 had failed and Wii went on to control 75% of the market like the PS2 did I think the gaming industry would be screwed next gen. Sure the Wii is a fun console and everyone from a young kid to your grandmother likes it but I think there would be a TON of pissed off gamers if all we were to get next gen is casual stuff like the Wii and Kinect/Move. I'd be done with gaming of next gen was all motion control/casual stuff. 

Also on a much sadder note there would probably be no PS4 if the PS3 had failed like everyone in 2006/07 was saying it would.

P.S. that's a shot at casual gaming and Kinect/Move/Wiimote...not a shot at Nintendo.