By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Where Would Gaming Be If PS3 Failed?*

There would be alot less innovative and good games since most would just be milked to death and anything that failed to sell huge would be cancelled, and with the lack of competion live price would be jacked up as well as DLC rip offs, basically like it is now but with more rip offs and less good games 

Around the Network
Chrizum said:

Inspired by this thread: if the PS3 failed, where would gaming be now?

Nintendo claims that they were first with motion controls but I don't believe that one bit, as it was Sony who was making the Move before Nintendo even existed. Who knows though?

Anyway if PS3 failed would the Wii and 360 still be around? Would gaming stay the way it was during previous gens or would something else unique be made in its place?

Development of a motion enabled controller began in 2001, coinciding with development of the Wii console. In that year, Nintendo licensed a number of motion-sensing patents from Gyration Inc., a company that produces wireless motion-sensing computer mice.[2] Nintendo then commissioned Gyration Inc. to create a one-handed controller for it,[2] which eventually developed the "Gyropod", a more traditional gamepad which allowed its right half to break away for motion-control.[2] At this point, Gyration Inc. brought in a separate design firm Bridge Design to help pitch its concept to Nintendo.[3] Under requirement to "roughly preserve the existing Game Cube [sic] button layout", it experimented with different forms "through sketches, models and interviewing various hardcore gamers".[3] By "late 2004, early 2005", however, Nintendo had come up with the Wii Remote's less traditional "wand shape", and the design of the Nunchuk attachment.[4] Nintendo had also decided upon using a motion sensor, infrared pointer, and the layout of the buttons,[4] and by the end of 2005 the controller was ready for mass production.[4]

During development of the Wii Remote, video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto brought in mobile phones and controllers for automotive navigation systems for inspiration, eventually producing a prototype that resembled a cell phone.[4] Another design featured both an analog stick and a touchscreen, but Nintendo rejected the idea of a touchscreen on the controller, "since the portable console and living-room console would have been exactly the same".[4]

Sources also indicate that the Wii Remote was originally in development as a controller for the Nintendo GameCube, rather than the Wii. Video game developer Factor 5 stated that during development of launch title Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader, it had an early prototype of a motion-sensing controller.[5] Video game journalist Matt Casamassina, from gaming website IGN, stated that he believed that Nintendo had planned to release the Wii Remote for the GameCube, noting that "Nintendo said that it hoped that GCN could enjoy a longer life cycle with the addition of top-secret peripherals that would forever enhance the gameplay experience."[6] He suggested that Nintendo may have wanted to release the Wii Remote with a new system, instead of onto the GameCube, as "[the] Revolution addresses one of the GameCube's biggest drawbacks, which is that it was/is perceived as a toy."[6]

http://gizmodo.com/#!294642/unearthed-nintendo-2001-prototype-motion sensing-one handed-controller-by-gyration

http://gizmodo.com/#!295276/wii mote-prototype-designer-speaks-out-shares-sketchbook

The only way Sony began before Nintendo with motion controls, and in the case Nintendo never before Wii experiment with motion controls, is that the development of move was from 1995-2000.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

About in the same exact position it is now. Just being honest.

Minus a lot of great exclusives of course, at least until Sony came right back in with another console. They're never leaving the hardware business.

NYANKS said:
Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
tolu619 said:
Beuli2 said:

What do you mean? Absolutely nothing would have changed, except that the current PS3 users would have bough a Xbox 360 instead.

and the wii would be in 2nd place

Are we assuming the PS3 failing is isolated or not?  Because if PS3's failure was caused by something, I don't think the 360 would necessarily be doing so awesome.  As for the Wii in second.... O_o

Only the PS3 had a shot of beating Wii this gen, and it was a very small one.

Well the general rule when it comes to alternative history is that you tweak as little as possible.  So yeah, you should assume the PS3 failure is isolated, caused either by the 360 gaining a few key exclusives, or one of Sony's execs axing it shortly after release due to all the money it was costing them, some sort of lawsuit.

As for why you tweak as little as possible... it's because otherwise you are just going to come up with any scenario you feel like.

For example... if the PS3 failed, we would all be dead, because it could be caused by a nuclear war destroying the world.

No, it'd be what some people have said here.  If PS3 failed with legitimate backing by Sony, it could logically bode ill for the business model of mostly harcore games and support supported by Sony AND MS.  So, MS may very well be getting owned too.  I mean, how do they differ really?  The main difference is charging for online, which you can probably bet will be coming to the Playstation at some point. 

Your changing literally the opinion of... what 30-60 million people?

That's not tweaking as little as possible.

morenoingrato said:

This might sound stupid... but 360 could actually be on track to pass the Wii.

Yes, your right, it does sound stupid

Also not sure how it relates to the OP...

In all honesty, the PS3 has done fine, this speculation won't change that...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
tolu619 said:
Beuli2 said:

What do you mean? Absolutely nothing would have changed, except that the current PS3 users would have bough a Xbox 360 instead.

Are we assuming the PS3 failing is isolated or not?  Because if PS3's failure was caused by something, I don't think the 360 would necessarily be doing so awesome.  As for the Wii in second.... O_o

Well the general rule when it comes to alternative history is that you tweak as little as possible.  So yeah, you should assume the PS3 failure is isolated, caused either by the 360 gaining a few key exclusives, or one of Sony's execs axing it shortly after release due to all the money it was costing them, some sort of lawsuit.

As for why you tweak as little as possible... it's because otherwise you are just going to come up with any scenario you feel like.

For example... if the PS3 failed, we would all be dead, because it could be caused by a nuclear war destroying the world.

No, it'd be what some people have said here.  If PS3 failed with legitimate backing by Sony, it could logically bode ill for the business model of mostly harcore games and support supported by Sony AND MS.  So, MS may very well be getting owned too.  I mean, how do they differ really?  The main difference is charging for online, which you can probably bet will be coming to the Playstation at some point. 

But making the PS3 fail is equally illogical, at least to me.  I guess I can't make my brain accept sch a big change without cause lol.  My bad.

I'm really struggling to think of much that would be different, at least in a major sense. I mean yeah we'd obviously lose out on the best Sony first party games, but that goes without saying (although LBP might have been on another console)...

The biggest thing would probably be that Japanese third party support would be entirely focused behind the Wii, or it would have gone even further towards handheld gaming.

Outside of that, would Microsoft have bothered with their 360 redesign? Kinect would still be here, and I don't see Nintendo doing much different.

VGChartz

NotStan said:

I dont think much would have changed other than the small details such as extra features that PS3 brought - Wireless controllers, but I am sure 360 would have gotten to that stage eventually, I think that the only major factors that PS3 brought to the table were;

The alternative to X360, direct competition, brought about competition between companies - price cuts earlier than anticipated and all those little things that make the consoles stand out to the consumer.

Extensive exclusive games library.

Wireless controllers

AND BluRay , although it's not spread on the other consoles but it's a good method of storage and allows developers to do much, at least on PS3 which is the only one that uses the format,  I would have liked to see similar format on X360.

All in All, seeing as it was the last console released I don't think it had such a large influence in terms of hardware etc since those can't be altered.

I'm sure it's already been corrected but I just wanted to point out that the Xbox 360 Pro came with a wireless controller a year before the PS3 hit the market.  Nintendo had the Wavebird last generation, too.  Heck, wireless controllers date back to the mid-80's, at least.  I remember seeing Freedom Stick ("NO WIRES!")commercials for the NES, back when.

My personal take on things:  A lot of the features that we see on Xbox Live came as a result of competition from Sony.  I think game prices for the 360 would still be pretty high (about $400), no features like ESPN, full game installs (awesome feature, btw) and Last FM on the 360, and no new re-designs that feature Wi-Fi, HDMI, or better reliability.

The 360 would be going head to head with the Wii but I'm not sure they'd have tried to enter the motion control arena.  M$ probably would have been satisfied owning 100% of the HD market and left Nintendo to cater to the lower horsepowered motion control market. 

Competition is good for the industry.  It always has been.  Without worthy competition, maybe we'd still be playing games on cartridges and Nintendo wouldn't be as innovative as they've been forced to be.  Maybe game prices would be at $80 a pop.  Maybe graphics wouldn't be as impressive as they are, now.  There's a couple of things that are better for the whole industry just because the PS3 exists.  There's probably a few things that would be standard next gen that simply won't come to pass because the PS3 isn't a huge success.  Maybe "Folding Home/Life with Playstation" and "Playstation Home" would've become industry standards, next gen.  Who's to say.  We're not from the future......except for me.  I'm from the future.  Oh, and something pretty bad happens in 2013.  It's probably best if I don't tell you guys about it.  I will say this:  when Space Obama makes a decision, it may be in your best interests to listen to him.

NYANKS said:
Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
tolu619 said:
Beuli2 said:

But making the PS3 fail is equally illogical, at least to me.  I guess I can't make my brain accept sch a big change without cause lol.  My bad.

I already mentioned causes that were smaller.  Microsoft aquiring a few key titles, Sony discontinuing the PS3 from the beating they took from it.