By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Where Would Gaming Be If PS3 Failed?*

silicon said:

Welll if PS3 died it would mean that there wasn't a market for hardcore gaming... meaing games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and Killzone failed to attract an audience. If these games failed to attract an audience then all similar games would also fail to attract an audience. This would mean that X360 would have done a lot worse then it did and may be close to failing itself. The gaming industry would shift, and gamers like myself would have less intersting games to play.

I don't get it how would the entire market for core games collapse? Killzone fans would have probably migrated to Halo/Whatever the Wii has, Gran Turismo fans would have eventually migrated to Forza, and Heavy Rain would probably be a 360 game (or not exist at all). The PS brand would be dead by now, but hey it has been diminishing since the PSP. The 360 already captured most of the hardcore audiance, and like I said fans would have migrated over. There would be a hole in the industry but I doubt the entire market for core gamers would collapse.

Around the Network

same as prior gens that had only 2 consoles.  games would have been put on either wii or 360 or the phone market or pc.

where would sony's own game be?  who knows, would they drop out fo gaming?  doubtful, so most likely be put on either as well, depending on which they thought served that game best, same as any other 3rd party developer

NotStan said:
silicon said:
NotStan said:
silicon said:

Welll if PS3 died it would mean that there wasn't a market for hardcore gaming... meaing games like Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Gran Turismo and Killzone failed to attract an audience. If these games failed to attract an audience then all similar games would also fail to attract an audience. This would mean that X360 would have done a lot worse then it did and may be close to failing itself. The gaming industry would shift, and gamers like myself would have less intersting games to play.

I don't know, games on X360 that can be classed as "hardcore" have done reasonably well, Halo 3 is the top selling game, second only to MW2 and it's expansion, ODST pulled something like 5.6M, which is reasonable considering all it added was 5-6 hour campaign. I don't think it shaped hardcore market but it did provide some interesting and innovative alternatives that can provide new and fresh experiences. Gears is also a good example as both gears have sold 6m apiece, with the 3rd looking to outperform the previous iterations, also majority of the multiplat games sold better on X360 before, but now PS3 is catching up and selling them on par or even higher in some cases - multiplat games of established games such as resident evil etc.

Regardless of the definition of "hardcore" the games on both X360 and PS3 are fairly similar. If the PS3 couldnt attract customers then it would make sense that neither would the X360.

But X360 came out first so wouldn't it be the other way around? :S, we could agree on them being co-dependent of each other, without the competition I don't think that we'll be where we are, but the infact the impact of either would not have been that dramatic. I think in most cases X360 and PS3 were riding off the previous generations breakthroughs, Xbox and PS2.

It would depend on why the PS3 failed.

I assumed that in order for the PS3 to fail it would mean that the demand in the market shifted away from systems that had game line-ups like the PS3. Other then branding and a few minor features, X360 and PS3 are really quite similar in terms of their game line-up.

Even if X360  came out first in a market that PS3 fails, the X360 would also do poorly.

darthdevidem01 said:
NYANKS said:
Squilliam said:

The games would all be better accordingly to all the people who believe that exclusivity makes for better games, so die die die PS3!!!

Wait so wouldn't the Wii have the best library ever regardless........dear God.

Reported!

@Kasz

The N64 failed? No it didn't. And to be perfectly honest I still believe the PS1 games library destroyed N64's so that sales gap isn't surprising for me.

Our ideas of "failed" seem to be clearly different. I see failed as selling less than 5 Million. 

That's not so much failure as it is "immediatly leaving the buisness."

Plug in and Play consoles probably have sales over 5 million... or will by the end of their generation.

NYANKS said:
darthdevidem01 said:
NYANKS said:
Squilliam said:

The games would all be better accordingly to all the people who believe that exclusivity makes for better games, so die die die PS3!!!

Reported!

@Kasz

The N64 failed? No it didn't. And to be perfectly honest I still believe the PS1 games library destroyed N64's so that sales gap isn't surprising for me.

Our ideas of "failed" seem to be clearly different. I see failed as selling less than 5 Million. 

The PS1 library dominated the N64's.  It just so happens that some of the most famous and recognizable games ever were on N64, so it barely seems like it lost.  But numbers don't lie, it was decimated.  But not a failure, only lost by comparison.  I mean, PS1 had some notables lol.  FF7, MGS, Symphony, Crash, Tomb Raider....

P.S. One of my guilty favorites was L.A.P.D. Future Cop. Best multiplayer EVER.

Yeah, that's how I saw it.

PS1 had FAR more games... but the N64 had those few iconic games that defined 3D games (Mario 64, Zelda 64) and those few games you'd play with your friends even in the PS2 era.  (Golden Eye, Mario Kart 64.)

Around the Network

online gaming would cost $100 and people would be fine with it.

bluray, would have dissapeared, and people wouldnt feel the need for an HD format.

graphics would be worse.

the wii would be the only one with built in wifi.

no netfix streaming (xbox wouldnt have felt the need to add this feature with out competition)

xbox would have a lot of exclusives

Exactly where we are now, but the 360 would have around 80mil sales, Wii 100mil, and teh Internetz would be boring

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:

Exactly where we are now, but the 360 would have around 80mil sales, Wii 100mil, and teh Internetz would be boring

Nah. As is being said, if PS3 was gone 360 wouldn't necessairly be doing too hot either. 

Kasz216 said:
NYANKS said:
darthdevidem01 said:
NYANKS said:
Squilliam said:

Reported!

@Kasz

The PS1 library dominated the N64's.  It just so happens that some of the most famous and recognizable games ever were on N64, so it barely seems like it lost.  But numbers don't lie, it was decimated.  But not a failure, only lost by comparison.  I mean, PS1 had some notables lol.  FF7, MGS, Symphony, Crash, Tomb Raider....

P.S. One of my guilty favorites was L.A.P.D. Future Cop. Best multiplayer EVER.

Yeah, that's how I saw it.

PS1 had FAR more games... but the N64 had those few iconic games that defined 3D games (Mario 64, Zelda 64) and those few games you'd play with your friends even in the PS2 era.  (Golden Eye, Mario Kart 64.)

Of course, the PS1 had some of these iconic games also.  MGS would be right behind Mario and Zelda in anyone's best franchise list.  An not because it's not as good, it just appeals to a smaller base.  Techinically, MGS might be the best franchise ever, as there are zero missteps lol.  Also, FF7 definitely defined SOMETHING, or people wouldn't still speak of it so fondly. 

I think it kind of shows that a few epic games can't carry you.  I think a few huge games PLUS something like, oh, say, a new control system, is enough though.

NYANKS said:
Conegamer said:

Nah. As is being said, if PS3 was gone 360 wouldn't necessairly be doing too hot either. 

I suppose we'll never know

But it could easily go either way...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.