By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will the PS3 drop below $200?

When will the PS3 drop below $200?

This year 48 20.96%

2012 72 31.44%

2013 50 21.83%

2014 22 9.61%

2015 onwards 12 5.24%

It will never reach $199 24 10.48%

Total:228
Demonslayersoultaker said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Come on you were gonna do this bet with me!

OT:

2011...2012 latest

Oh alright. It depends. What's the bet actually gonna be about then?

I say PS3 gets to $199 by end of 2012 at the latest

You feel its in 2014?

The terms will be just 2 weeks dibs on the losers avatar.

Certainly a long time to wait...

How about you win if the PS3 drops below $200 before March 31st 2013, and I win if it's after that time?

And make it 3 weeks of avatar control. I'm not into weak bets (especially if I'll be at University at that time, need something to laugh at when you ineviatibly FAIL! MWAHAHAHAHA!)

So be it, Jedi.

Ok the bet is set then! 

I win if PS3 drops below $200 before March 31st 2013, you win if its after that.

We'll make it 4 weeks avatar control ...make it 2 years avatar control if you want, I doubt I'm loosing this bet. 

I'd laugh if it droped on april 1st

No-one drops prices on April Fools day, except SEGA (and now they are out of the hardware race). *trollfacewithyellowteeth.jpg*

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

This year. PS3 $199 and $250 skus available. $250 one will be bundled with GT 5. 

During August time. And they will profit from this. 

I say either this year or in 2012. I personally think 2012 so sony can get maximum profit

If they don't put back any hardware features that they took out in order to drop the price in the first place then I think the base model (160Gig sku today) will be below $200 in 2012 at the latest. But I also think they could drop the 160Gig to $199 this year and it would probably still be profitable by about $1 per PS3.

But I'd like to see them put up a sku with 4*USB, Wireless N and PSP emulation. And I'd like them to sell a PSP emulator through PSN. At the right price I'd buy it for sure. Though I wouldn't expect them to do that until NGP was out.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I would be shocked if we don't see a $199 SKU before 2013. This year the price will go down to $249.

And I tell ya, as soon PS3 hits $199, it will be no longer than 3 months until it finally outsells Xbox 360 worldwide, if it didn't already outsell the 360.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Around the Network

$25-50 this year, the rest next year, so probably $199 by the end of 2012.

I don't see the straightaway $100 price cut, unless they've gone apeshit. Got PSP2 to launch, and that tends to push divisions into the red anyway, without the loss of profit on other hardware.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:

OT:

2011...2012 latest

You feel its in 2014?

How about you win if the PS3 drops below $200 before March 31st 2013, and I win if it's after that time?

And make it 3 weeks of avatar control. I'm not into weak bets (especially if I'll be at University at that time, need something to laugh at when you ineviatibly FAIL! MWAHAHAHAHA!)

So be it, Jedi.

Ok the bet is set then! 

I win if PS3 drops below $200 before March 31st 2013, you win if its after that.

We'll make it 4 weeks avatar control ...make it 2 years avatar control if you want, I doubt I'm loosing this bet. 

Fine, it is done. 4 weeks it is.

YOU'RE GOING DOWN DARTH!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

pezus said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:

OT:

2011...2012 latest

You feel its in 2014?

So be it, Jedi.

Ok the bet is set then! 

Lol, guaranteed win I say.

Don't say that...

Anyway, enough about this bet now, let's just focus on the actual thread now then eh?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Will drop below 200 by the end of next year. I predict it will drop $50 and add Move controllers this year though...

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

I think they will price cut to 199 by 2012, but I don't think they should.  Price cut shouldn't be your strategy throughout a whole generation.  They're on equal footing now with Microsoft even being 100 dollars more so I don't see any need to continue.

I DO think they have to price cut the Move Bundle though.  That's 400 Dollars for any newcomer who wants to get on board with Sony for the Motion Wars.  Their controller costs way too much.  That's one negative aspect they share with the Wii controllers.  Motion themed multiplayer games are so fun and only require one console, but four controllers.  Why can't somebody price cut the controllers for once?