By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - When will the PS3 drop below $200?

When will the PS3 drop below $200?

This year 48 20.96%

2012 72 31.44%

2013 50 21.83%

2014 22 9.61%

2015 onwards 12 5.24%

It will never reach $199 24 10.48%

Total:228

Sony may not drop the price this year *gasp* why should they? They're selling as many consoles as they have ever sold in the history of the PS3. Why lose money for the sake of the fanboy epeen?

Tease.

Around the Network

Frankly, I don't see the need for a hardware price drop from SCE until YoY sales reflect clear losses in demand at current prices and or revised design/manufacturing processes allow the hardware to be produced at lower prices.

That said, a $50 price drop isn't out of the question for 2012. Of course, SCE may just go again with the "increased value" bundling by throwing in a game, movie, controller, whatever at current prices instead.

Under $200 won't happen until there is a complete hardware redesign of the PS3 that is likely to look and feel like a $200 PS3. Or maybe it will just look like little domed Wii.

This year, it's pretty obvious.

2012 likely

I don't think that it will happen so quickly. I can see a $50 price cut this year or next, but a $100?

Around the Network
Silver-Tiger said:

I would be shocked if we don't see a $199 SKU before 2013. This year the price will go down to $249.

And I tell ya, as soon PS3 hits $199, it will be no longer than 3 months until it finally outsells Xbox 360 worldwide, if it didn't already outsell the 360.

This.  A $249 SKU is inevitable this year, announced either at E3 or TGS.  It'll be 2 years since the last cut and they will have undoubtedly have cut down the production costs by the end of this year to still make a small profit off of the PS3 at that price.  And a $199 should be here by the end of fiscal 2013.  By then they should have production costs down enough to either break even or make a small profit on each sold.

Though, I have full faith that a $249 entry price for the PS3 for the last quarter of this year will definitely be the final push the PS3 needs to claim the number 2 spot this gen.

If PS3 keeps selling strong then we wont see it for quite some time.

Heck look @ the gap and how much it sells weekly @ $299 price point.

I'm a little concerned that people actually think it's feasible for Sony to do it this year. That would mean that Sony would be selling two systems (PS3 and NGP) at a lose at the same time. It would be a boot to the balls to Sony's profitability in regards to the playstation brand.

darthdevidem01 said:
TT Makaveli said:

yeah definatly in 2012...this year to 249$ and neyt to 199%...and after that like in 2014 or 2015...a 199$ PS3 is okay for more years...

$99 PS3 in 2017 will be the completion of the great 10 year plan!

muwhahahahaa!

And then it'll drop to $49 in 2438 as well, completing it's many year plan!

They'll fly off the shelves at that price! 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Squilliam said:

Sony may not drop the price this year *gasp* why should they? They're selling as many consoles as they have ever sold in the history of the PS3. Why lose money for the sake of the fanboy epeen?

Damn good point

Let's hope not, for the sake of my bet

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.