By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Nintendo hardware announcement inbound?

I've read that on my phone feed, that's what I thought too, but I think it's unlikely that they'll announce it this year, maybe the next but it just wouldn't make sense at the moment as Wii is selling reasonably well. It's not out of the question either though.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

Around the Network

Nintendo's not going to release a new home console the same year they launch a new portable.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Cheebee said:

Nintendo's not going to release a new home console the same year they launch a new portable.

And not next year either, I'm so annoyed with all this "new hardware" talk...

I'm sure it will happen!

Can't wait!

Early 2012 or late 2012... Take your pic.

Around the Network

Imagine if companies ignored it because they wanted to keep focus on the other two.  The Sony and MS and MS would launch in a few years to big hype...could go more than one way...

But of course, this is probably just speculation. lol

kitler53 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Don't see the point. The Wii is only doing bad compared to its past sales, otherwise its sales and software is enough to make sure it is a viable system for at least 2 more years.

you're looking at it all wrong though, this is a business decision not a gamer decision.  in the business world you are either growing or declining and people only invest in growing markets.

take a look at this quote, "What we like about now is we've put most of our capital behind the 360 and PS3 for the next couple of years and that's where we think the action's going to be."   this right here is the mentality that nintendo has to be afraid of.

i honestly think nintendo is in a rough spot, if their next gen console is simular in specs to the ps360 then why would anyone want to get it instead of a ps360 with a library that eclipses that of the wii2.  but if the specs are really different (and that could be either raw processing power or the player interface) i really doubt they can convice publishers to choose nintendo over the ps360/npg or the 3DS/psp or apple/android. 

from the game publishing side we've entered a world where being really different is not a good thing.

But declining from a position of a bigger growth than anyone ever is still bad enough to get a new console? I guess if they are at the mercy of the shareholders it might be

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
kitler53 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Don't see the point. The Wii is only doing bad compared to its past sales, otherwise its sales and software is enough to make sure it is a viable system for at least 2 more years.

you're looking at it all wrong though, this is a business decision not a gamer decision.  in the business world you are either growing or declining and people only invest in growing markets.

take a look at this quote, "What we like about now is we've put most of our capital behind the 360 and PS3 for the next couple of years and that's where we think the action's going to be."   this right here is the mentality that nintendo has to be afraid of.

i honestly think nintendo is in a rough spot, if their next gen console is simular in specs to the ps360 then why would anyone want to get it instead of a ps360 with a library that eclipses that of the wii2.  but if the specs are really different (and that could be either raw processing power or the player interface) i really doubt they can convice publishers to choose nintendo over the ps360/npg or the 3DS/psp or apple/android. 

from the game publishing side we've entered a world where being really different is not a good thing.

But declining from a position of a bigger growth than anyone ever is still bad enough to get a new console? I guess if they are at the mercy of the shareholders it might be

Yeah, that doesn't seem too far off.  Nintendo doesn't have the greatest track record recently when they try to compete in direct areas with the other two, in particular Sony.  They're the only company that ever beat them at anything lol.  Ninty's strategy will be very interesting.

i hope not 2012 seems like a better choice.

kitler53 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

Actually I believe Nintendo is in a very powerful position.  They've profited off of the Wii so much already that they can practically single handedly dictate when the next console gen will begin.  No doubt that publishers will be focused on the HD systems as the article states, but the Wii is so far ahead that its declining sales will hardly be a problem for it this year for sure.  Remember Nintendo is still profiting incredibly well, and all their big titles (Wii Fit Plus, Sports Resort, Mario Kart and NSMB) are consistently in the top 30 on the charts.  Add to that an inevitable price drop (Wii isn't even $149 yet, much less... gulp... $99) and Zelda this year (probably even more games at E3) and the Wii will likely have another incredible holiday in 2011.

Point being, I doubt E3 11 will offer much more than the mere mention of a new console being in the works; no specs, game videos, or reveal of their new "hook" for the system that it will likely have.  Even if they just go the NES to SNES route for their next console, >PS3 tech will be very affordable by 2012, and I believe that's the earliest we'll hear or see anything substantial about the Wii's successor.