By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The gaming media is unprofessional and inconsistent and I'm sick of it.

Mr Khan said:
radiantshadow92 said:
DKHustlin said:

if you are sick of it, then stop reading gaming media like someone else said. i stopped reading gaming reviews, news, and previews altogether. the only thing i do is read forums, but i usually only read topics like this, not impression on games topics. i dont know, i usually get my info for games from the publishers websites and boxes and stuff, its really all you could do if youre sick of the media.

my main gripes with gaming media is everything is uaully the same, and heavily slanted toward hardcore HD games

What the hell are you talking about? Some of the highest rated games this generation aren't in HD.

And that can only be accounted as miraculous, given how little exposure or coverage the high-rated non-HD games get

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2011/game-publisher-rankings-for-2010-releases/

I don't care what anyone says. That "Nintendo gets rated lower" is bullshit.

Around the Network

Yeah I'm really sick of gaming journalists and the media too. I remember back in the day when browsing the internet would cost you 20 cent a minute, it was a dial up connection and web pages would take up to 5 minutes to load and  people relied on  gaming magazines for game reviews and scores. When a game got a 90 plus score back then it really was a 90 plus game. In todays day and age people give half assed reviews and downgrade a score for stupid reasons like development times and because there unoriginal or give ok games high scores because they have big followings GTA4 anyone??

I think the whole set up needs to be restructured because its not working the way it should.

You have a lot of good points, OP. I stopped taking most of what I read seriously. The only written pieces I spend any kind of time with now when it comes to games are sheer technical views and demonstrations and depictions of gameplay from a pure developers perspective without fanboy goggles and comparisons for the sake of lenghtening one's e-penis.

Also to give an example of the state of mind some gaming journalists are in these days. A few weeks back a writer for this site commented in a thread that compared Killzone 2 against Crysis 2. Now little had been shown on the PC version of Crysis 2 and he didn't play KZ3 or Crysis 2 PC yet either but according to him Crysis 2 PC shitted all over Killzone 3. Is he right? Most likely yes but as a gaming journalist shouldn't he have at least kept an open mind about it until he seen more of both games .

If he was asked to review KZ3 would he have gone into the review with a state of mind like that. KZ3 its a good game but Crysis 2 shits all over it. I mean he said he leaves all that out when hes working but people are hugh liers. What he says and what he does could be too differant things.

Gaming media overall needs to grow up.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:
Mr Khan said:
radiantshadow92 said:
DKHustlin said:

if you are sick of it, then stop reading gaming media like someone else said. i stopped reading gaming reviews, news, and previews altogether. the only thing i do is read forums, but i usually only read topics like this, not impression on games topics. i dont know, i usually get my info for games from the publishers websites and boxes and stuff, its really all you could do if youre sick of the media.

my main gripes with gaming media is everything is uaully the same, and heavily slanted toward hardcore HD games

What the hell are you talking about? Some of the highest rated games this generation aren't in HD.

And that can only be accounted as miraculous, given how little exposure or coverage the high-rated non-HD games get

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2011/game-publisher-rankings-for-2010-releases/

Nintendo isn't the only developer or publisher on the Wii.  Nintendo has never had much of a problem getting their AAA games the recognition they deserve.  It is the games on the Wii from other companies that get the short end of the stick when it comes to media attention.

These days, if you are not a male, about 15 to 25, with a preference for online shooters, then you are being under-served by the current state of video game journalism.  (A bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.)  Even if you do fit in that group, you have to search long and hard to find the good, somewhat unbiased outlets for news and reviews.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Xen said:
Red4ADevil said:
Doobie_wop said:
badgenome said:

Watch Classic Game Room HD on YouTube. Problem solved.

He is so good. I check his page every day for new videos.

I think I'll leave this here just in case anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompany?feature=chclk

Hate to interrupt, but I want to say this; He can make a review of bananas so entertaining.

He reviewed the FOAM in the SEGA CD boxes and it RULED. I've been watching him since 2007-2008, I wish the other guy (David) would come back.

There we go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BEaTnbu4G8

I found Classic Game Room in 2008 and never looked back Mark is Awesome.

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

hikaruchan said:
Xen said:
Red4ADevil said:
Doobie_wop said:
badgenome said:

Watch Classic Game Room HD on YouTube. Problem solved.

He is so good. I check his page every day for new videos.

I think I'll leave this here just in case anyone's interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/InecomCompany?feature=chclk

Hate to interrupt, but I want to say this; He can make a review of bananas so entertaining.

He reviewed the FOAM in the SEGA CD boxes and it RULED. I've been watching him since 2007-2008, I wish the other guy (David) would come back.

There we go... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BEaTnbu4G8

I found Classic Game Room in 2008 and never looked back Mark is Awesome.

classic game Room imo is the best reviewer. Unfortunately he does review games a little late. (he just reviewed god of war collection that came out more than a year ago). Dont really know if he gets review copies of games either.

theRepublic said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Mr Khan said:
radiantshadow92 said:
DKHustlin said:

Nintendo isn't the only developer or publisher on the Wii.  Nintendo has never had much of a problem getting their AAA games the recognition they deserve.  It is the games on the Wii from other companies that get the short end of the stick when it comes to media attention.

These days, if you are not a male, about 15 to 25, with a preference for online shooters, then you are being under-served by the current state of video game journalism.  (A bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.)  Even if you do fit in that group, you have to search long and hard to find the good, somewhat unbiased outlets for news and reviews.

This holds true for games on HD consoles as well. 

radiantshadow92 said:
theRepublic said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Mr Khan said:
radiantshadow92 said:
DKHustlin said:

This holds true for games on HD consoles as well. 

Not really. Lower-key HD games like Darksiders and Naughty Bear got attention that would make Monster Hunter Tri green with envy.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.