By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The gaming media is unprofessional and inconsistent and I'm sick of it.

and another thing, i find it weird people are complaining about things not getting coverage, when they themselves say they dont visit websites.  That does not make a lick of sense, of course you think some games arent getting coverage, your not visiting the websites.  I visit IGN because they have good info on entertainment. Not just video games. The reviews are kind of meh sometimes. 1up has good editorials ( i think they're funny) and good reviews. GI gets info even before the websites do, which is impressive in this age. EGM for "rest of the crap" is worth the price of admission. and Yatzhee's zero punctuation is hilarious (i know Wii fans dont think so, but whatever)

Around the Network
brundlefly said:
Mad55 said:

idk what yall are talking about i usually find that when i read some article informing me about something happening in the gaming world its usually well done. There sure have been alot of complainers on this site lately. i usually read gameinformer and ign reviews and i find that they are well written and formatted. I also look at vgchartz feed alot and most of the time im cool with what their doing i just think alot of people want to complain because the world aint perfect lol. alot of these writers graduate college for jourlnalism and such and it shows to me but eh alot of you would complain about oxygen if it didnt keep you alive.

IGN's reviews and articles are always filled with typos and seem to a bias against PS3. There's also the extreme inconsistencies that the OP brought up (KZ3 losing points for lack of story whereas MW2 they said it doesn't matter because nobody buys it for the story) and their entire rating system in general. Their reviews will praise a game and it'll end up with an 8 (when the review is just glowing) or vice versa, or the final score being higher than all the different parts (presentation, graphics, etc). It's just a really unprofessional site in general.

i never really feel that way about their reviews except for shooters. and killzone got a great score regardless it doesnt need a 90 to validate itself as awesome. And i dont buy that ps3 bias stuff at all.

milkyjoe said:

I'd agree for the most part, I basically only visit two other dedicated gaming sites to this one because they've been less likely to let me down with sensationalist nonsense, factual inaccuracies or general bias influencing tone than the other major websites, although they both slip from time to time (one more than the other). Furthermore, neither of those websites has too much trouble with the maniacal fanboys that you get on N4G and the like.

I'd also say that the problem is the audience. I'm getting closer to 30 now and my tastes have developed over the years so I don't want to read something designed for teenagers in mind, but the trouble is there isn't really anywhere that's developed along with me. It's all still aimed at the latest wave of annoying kids who like to troll for the lulz. I think if more websites acknowledged that there are gamers who have been around for a while and are tired of all that crap and catered a bit more to those kind of tastes, then gaming journalism would improve drastically.

That's one of things that finally got me posting on here, there's a decent enough cross section of ages that such nonsense doesn't happen, and when it does it's quickly eradicated.

I'd recommend checking www.gamesindustry.biz

It's Eurogamers sister site, but aimed at industry professionals or students wanting to get into the industry. Generally the articles are less fanboyish and the comments offer a greater insight into the industry as many are working in the industry anyway. It's fairly UK bias mind so you may find some stories on UK government policy and the impact on local development.

Edit- Also, it doesn't do reviews, only news, events and sometimes critical consensus of certain high profile games.

Mad55 said:
brundlefly said:
Mad55 said:

idk what yall are talking about i usually find that when i read some article informing me about something happening in the gaming world its usually well done. There sure have been alot of complainers on this site lately. i usually read gameinformer and ign reviews and i find that they are well written and formatted. I also look at vgchartz feed alot and most of the time im cool with what their doing i just think alot of people want to complain because the world aint perfect lol. alot of these writers graduate college for jourlnalism and such and it shows to me but eh alot of you would complain about oxygen if it didnt keep you alive.

IGN's reviews and articles are always filled with typos and seem to a bias against PS3. There's also the extreme inconsistencies that the OP brought up (KZ3 losing points for lack of story whereas MW2 they said it doesn't matter because nobody buys it for the story) and their entire rating system in general. Their reviews will praise a game and it'll end up with an 8 (when the review is just glowing) or vice versa, or the final score being higher than all the different parts (presentation, graphics, etc). It's just a really unprofessional site in general.

i never really feel that way about their reviews except for shooters. and killzone got a great score regardless it doesnt need a 90 to validate itself as awesome. And i dont buy that ps3 bias stuff at all.

I can't remember which review it was that really demonstrated exactly how inconsistent the number at the end is, but it was a review just loving everything about it and very minor, nitpicking, complaints and it got like an 8.5. Now I know what's coming next about an 8.5 being a great score, which it is, but the way the gaming review standards are set up, that's only like pretty good. I know people who will avoid games less than a 9 (who are idiots by the way) but it's just a product of the system. I totally agree though about not needing over a 9 to be awesome because for one, I loved the Force Unleashed for instance, but a lot of the sheep that follow reviews would just avoid an 8 or 8.5. As for the bias, I'm not a fanboy even though I only have a PS3/Wii but I just generally tend to notice things slanted more towards the 360's favour (again going off of memory so I can't think of specific examples...I guess like when something runs better on 360, Bayonetta for instance, it gains extra points over the PS3 version, when something like FFXIII is the exact same even though they say there's problems). 

On a related note, might as well post this here:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1148788p1.html

brundlefly said:
Mad55 said:
brundlefly said:
Mad55 said:

I can't remember which review it was that really demonstrated exactly how inconsistent the number at the end is, but it was a review just loving everything about it and very minor, nitpicking, complaints and it got like an 8.5. Now I know what's coming next about an 8.5 being a great score, which it is, but the way the gaming review standards are set up, that's only like pretty good. I know people who will avoid games less than a 9 (who are idiots by the way) but it's just a product of the system. I totally agree though about not needing over a 9 to be awesome because for one, I loved the Force Unleashed for instance, but a lot of the sheep that follow reviews would just avoid an 8 or 8.5. As for the bias, I'm not a fanboy even though I only have a PS3/Wii but I just generally tend to notice things slanted more towards the 360's favour (again going off of memory so I can't think of specific examples...I guess like when something runs better on 360, Bayonetta for instance, it gains extra points over the PS3 version, when something like FFXIII is the exact same even though they say there's problems). 

On a related note, might as well post this here:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/114/1148788p1.html

good point.

Around the Network

Nobody/Nothing can ever be truly ever be truly unbiased or without prejudice IMHO.

OTOH yeah those writers should be reprimanded for putting in so many of their personal opinions and trying to shove it down our throats like that.

Don86 said:

Nobody/Nothing can ever be truly ever be truly unbiased or without prejudice IMHO.

OTOH yeah those writers should be reprimanded for putting in so many of their personal opinions and trying to shove it down our throats like that.

Scientific process?

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...