By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The gaming media is unprofessional and inconsistent and I'm sick of it.

brundlefly said:

Pretty much agree with the entire thread. I'm sick of the rampant fanboyism, the bias, and just general lack of professionalism. I'm so sick of IGN and their inconsistencies, I've been lurking here for a bit but am probably going to start posting now because it seems like a pretty legit forum and there doesn't appear to be the fanboy wars you see in EVERY comment section at IGN.  

Welcome, and i agree. Its the best forum i have been on. Except for the sales threads lol

Around the Network
brundlefly said:

Pretty much agree with the entire thread. I'm sick of the rampant fanboyism, the bias, and just general lack of professionalism. I'm so sick of IGN and their inconsistencies, I've been lurking here for a bit but am probably going to start posting now because it seems like a pretty legit forum and there doesn't appear to be the fanboy wars you see in EVERY comment section at IGN.  

Welcome, and i agree. Its the best forum i have been on. Except for the sales threads lol

They merely reflect the demographic they serve. The more sophisticated and civilised the audience the better the quality of journalism. Simple really.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

idk what yall are talking about i usually find that when i read some article informing me about something happening in the gaming world its usually well done. There sure have been alot of complainers on this site lately. i usually read gameinformer and ign reviews and i find that they are well written and formatted. I also look at vgchartz feed alot and most of the time im cool with what their doing i just think alot of people want to complain because the world aint perfect lol. alot of these writers graduate college for jourlnalism and such and it shows to me but eh alot of you would complain about oxygen if it didnt keep you alive.

kowenicki said:
RolStoppable said:

The gaming media is consistently unprofessional, so the basic premise of the original post is flawed.

Bang on, but I re-iterate...

I  blame the audience... it is simply too immature to deserve or warrant a decent product from the press.

Not much different from any other form of press. Ever read comments on CNN? lots of idiots on there too. It doesn't stop them from reporting professionally.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Around the Network
Mad55 said:

idk what yall are talking about i usually find that when i read some article informing me about something happening in the gaming world its usually well done. There sure have been alot of complainers on this site lately. i usually read gameinformer and ign reviews and i find that they are well written and formatted. I also look at vgchartz feed alot and most of the time im cool with what their doing i just think alot of people want to complain because the world aint perfect lol. alot of these writers graduate college for jourlnalism and such and it shows to me but eh alot of you would complain about oxygen if it didnt keep you alive.

IGN's reviews and articles are always filled with typos and seem to a bias against PS3. There's also the extreme inconsistencies that the OP brought up (KZ3 losing points for lack of story whereas MW2 they said it doesn't matter because nobody buys it for the story) and their entire rating system in general. Their reviews will praise a game and it'll end up with an 8 (when the review is just glowing) or vice versa, or the final score being higher than all the different parts (presentation, graphics, etc). It's just a really unprofessional site in general.

brundlefly said:
Mad55 said:

IGN's reviews and articles are always filled with typos and seem to a bias against PS3. There's also the extreme inconsistencies that the OP brought up (KZ3 losing points for lack of story whereas MW2 they said it doesn't matter because nobody buys it for the story) and their entire rating system in general. Their reviews will praise a game and it'll end up with an 8 (when the review is just glowing) or vice versa, or the final score being higher than all the different parts (presentation, graphics, etc). It's just a really unprofessional site in general.

That is the sort of stuff that gets on my nerve, which is why I generally don't read much for reviews.  They seem to have good sub-categories for what to review, and then it seems like with some games, just pull shit out of their asses for the overall score.  The story for Killzone 3 should matter JUST as much as the story for Modern Warfare 2.  I don't care whether people only buy it for online or only buy it for storyline.  An fps should be rated the exact same as other fps'.

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

I'd agree for the most part, I basically only visit two other dedicated gaming sites to this one because they've been less likely to let me down with sensationalist nonsense, factual inaccuracies or general bias influencing tone than the other major websites, although they both slip from time to time (one more than the other). Furthermore, neither of those websites has too much trouble with the maniacal fanboys that you get on N4G and the like.

I'd also say that the problem is the audience. I'm getting closer to 30 now and my tastes have developed over the years so I don't want to read something designed for teenagers in mind, but the trouble is there isn't really anywhere that's developed along with me. It's all still aimed at the latest wave of annoying kids who like to troll for the lulz. I think if more websites acknowledged that there are gamers who have been around for a while and are tired of all that crap and catered a bit more to those kind of tastes, then gaming journalism would improve drastically.

That's one of things that finally got me posting on here, there's a decent enough cross section of ages that such nonsense doesn't happen, and when it does it's quickly eradicated.

VGChartz

@therepublic  can you give me an example of these gamers they are not caputuring??? Becaue IMHO either you care enough about games to visit sites or you dont. if i could be blunt it seems some people are pissed cause their fav console/company is not getting the coverage they "deserve". I could see that, but then I would tell them to go pick up NintyPower, PSM, XboxMag, etc. Whatever your vice is.

Beuli2 said:

One of the things that most amused me back in 2009 is that NSMB Wii, which is, according to everyone, much much better than NSMB DS, got review much much lower (in general) than it. What's the consistence in this? A 9.5 in a handheld equals to a 7 in a console?

It's kind of... the same, you know? It's like they reused the assets they had from the DS game.

And IMO, the DS game was the better one.