By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The gaming media is unprofessional and inconsistent and I'm sick of it.

Mr Khan said:
radiantshadow92 said:
theRepublic said:
radiantshadow92 said:
Mr Khan said:
radiantshadow92 said:
DKHustlin said:

if you are sick of it, then stop reading gaming media like someone else said. i stopped reading gaming reviews, news, and previews altogether. the only thing i do is read forums, but i usually only read topics like this, not impression on games topics. i dont know, i usually get my info for games from the publishers websites and boxes and stuff, its really all you could do if youre sick of the media.

my main gripes with gaming media is everything is uaully the same, and heavily slanted toward hardcore HD games

What the hell are you talking about? Some of the highest rated games this generation aren't in HD.

And that can only be accounted as miraculous, given how little exposure or coverage the high-rated non-HD games get

http://features.metacritic.com/features/2011/game-publisher-rankings-for-2010-releases/

I don't care what anyone says. That "Nintendo gets rated lower" is bullshit.

Nintendo isn't the only developer or publisher on the Wii.  Nintendo has never had much of a problem getting their AAA games the recognition they deserve.  It is the games on the Wii from other companies that get the short end of the stick when it comes to media attention.

These days, if you are not a male, about 15 to 25, with a preference for online shooters, then you are being under-served by the current state of video game journalism.  (A bit of an exaggeration, but you get the point.)  Even if you do fit in that group, you have to search long and hard to find the good, somewhat unbiased outlets for news and reviews.

This holds true for games on HD consoles as well. 

Not really. Lower-key HD games like Darksiders and Naughty Bear got attention that would make Monster Hunter Tri green with envy.

Monster Hunter Tri got really good reviews. No matter where you search that game, you see that it got good reviews. Naughty bear got attention for being the worst game this gen. And Darksiders got attention because it copied Zelda, an SD game on WII! Your just proving my point.

Around the Network
radiantshadow92 said:

Monster Hunter Tri got really good reviews. No matter where you search that game, you see that it got good reviews. Naughty bear got attention for being the worst game this gen. And Darksiders got attention because it copied Zelda, an SD game on WII! Your just proving my point.

Media attention != review scores. Darksiders got more attention, more publication, even if Tri got better review scores

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

@therepublic  i agree with whay you say, BUT arent the 14 -25 year olds the ones who visit these sites in the first place??? YOu cant blame them for catering to there own audience. Its not like the WiiSports only crowd and people who have barely passing interest in games are going to these sites

Mr. Khan not sure what sites you were visiting but Id say Monster Hunter Tri got just as much attention as a good chunk of Wii games.  Could you give me an example of these 3rd party Wii games that did not get media attention? Because I think some people just arent looking hard enough

@OP

Didn't you just make a thread the other day whining about gaming forums, now it is gaming media's turn I see.

Maybe you are growing out of gaming forums/media stuff?

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
oniyide said:

Mr. Khan not sure what sites you were visiting but Id say Monster Hunter Tri got just as much attention as a good chunk of Wii games.  Could you give me an example of these 3rd party Wii games that did not get media attention? Because I think some people just arent looking hard enough

WII THIRD PRATY GAEMZ GET NO ATTENTIONZ. EPIC MICKEY SABOTAGEDZ BY GAMING MEAEDIAZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!c!a!r!l!!!!!!!!2!2!9!1!!!!111111111

I think he might mean that.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

There job is professional advertisement.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

Games that get big advertisement on there site will generally score higher on reviews because not doing so will make the publisher take away the privilages they give them.

News we get are not done with any investigation or research, its just handed over to them by the publisher.  Sites that usually get exclusive interviews, announcments, previews are usually ones that will give what the publisher what they want.  High scores, plenty of space on there site, advertisement. 

No real serious issues are bought up in the gaming media, mistreated staff, overworked sucicidal factory workers who make these systems, minerals to make the systems are bought from voilent regimes in africa, over spending and higher budgets assuring only the bigger business's will be the main presence on the home and portable systems, the uprising of smaller developers through smaller budgets and means.

Because those things get in the way of important discussions like ""Who has the best graphics?"" or ""Casual gaming vs Hardcore gaming."" 

oniyide said:

@therepublic  i agree with whay you say, BUT arent the 14 -25 year olds the ones who visit these sites in the first place??? YOu cant blame them for catering to there own audience. Its not like the WiiSports only crowd and people who have barely passing interest in games are going to these sites

They could try branching out, and expanding their audience.  If you only cater to one audience, you will only have one audience.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
Switch - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (2014/2017)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

@darthdevidem  Epic Mickey would be a horrible example, that game had a cover on GI which is supposed to be biased against Ninty!

Game journalists reflect the qualities people here expect from game journalists.

Tease.