By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:

Also, in a polite way, can someone, please explain to me...

WHY IS THE WII DOOMED???

dunno (the word, not the mod), usually nintendo fans say that, might as well ask them :P

Awesome post MUGEN-San (wanted to call you sama here but we have reserved that for just Kojima rite?)

Anyway no-one in this thread. Last year the people calling Wii doomed were hardly much in numbers and weren't very reliable posters (and okey-dokey was joking when he kept saying "Wii is finished" last year). Oh and I am using the actual definition of doom here as saying Wii has poor sales does not equal doomed, relative to past Wii sales its a opinion that can be argued to carry much weight.

They aren't saying "Wii is d00med" anymore, because you can get banned for it (ask Chibi)

But, there is a lot of things like:

"360-Nice

PS3-Good

Wii-Erm...despreately needs a price-cut IMO"

May not be so prolific in this thread, but in other, similar threads, it's been a very clear pattern...

It is getting annoying to read this every 5 posts in every thread I enter.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
Capcom
145 28,213 7,196,714

we knoweth no more
360 doing well considering most of us saw it falling away a good while back

Above & Beyond

I just want to remind everyone that Bieber is Canadian!  (But it's prolly deserved pay back for ruining vampires with the US's Twilight.)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

darthdevidem01 said:
Conegamer said:
darthdevidem01 said:
M.U.G.E.N said:
Conegamer said:

Also, in a polite way, can someone, please explain to me...

WHY IS THE WII DOOMED???

dunno (the word, not the mod), usually nintendo fans say that, might as well ask them :P

Awesome post MUGEN-San (wanted to call you sama here but we have reserved that for just Kojima rite?)

Anyway no-one in this thread. Last year the people calling Wii doomed were hardly much in numbers and weren't very reliable posters (and okey-dokey was joking when he kept saying "Wii is finished" last year). Oh and I am using the actual definition of doom here as saying Wii has poor sales does not equal doomed, relative to past Wii sales its a opinion that can be argued to carry much weight.

They aren't saying "Wii is d00med" anymore, because you can get banned for it (ask Chibi)

But, there is a lot of things like:

"360-Nice

PS3-Good

Wii-Erm...despreately needs a price-cut IMO"

May not be so prolific in this thread, but in other, similar threads, it's been a very clear pattern...

But how does any of that lead to mean Wii is doomed.

People are only saying that as Wii is down YOY by A LOT, so a price cut should stabilise things.

From a financial and investment perspective only - Nintendo and the WIi are doomed.  If the 3DS isn't a DS like success, Nintendo is in serious trouble.  -35% with no replacement in sight means the entire senior management team should get sacked.  The comparison is even more ridiculous in you compare 2008 and 2009.  Pachter was right that Wii HD should have been released last year.  Nintendo should have an investor riot on their hands. 

tombi123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
Carl2291 said:

Can we shut the fuck up with the statistical tie nonsense? ¬_¬

Let them carry on

I've complained to dunno

If it lasts 1 more week (next weeks WW Up thread) the word will be banned and/or the mention of it will be made limited through moderation action.

The truth will be moderated? wtf.

Just to clarify, since some things are being jumped to, and I don't know if someone else has addressed this.

The best way to put this is that I've been watching the statistical tie stuff lately. I know that certain... overenthused fans will take any victory they can get, but even I've said myself that yes, these numbers, given at release, are statistical ties. (To define, a statistical tie is when the difference between 2 or more items is less than the margin of error. A tie of this nature is ALWAYS possible unless there is absolutely no error.) At present, what I have been doing is watching things only. I have no reason, nor intent, on moderating people for simply stating that it's a tie or that X is ahead of Y. What has been a problem is the way that it doesn't become a civil debate about things, people bitch and moan about the other side of the coin- those calling it a tie complain about the ones declaring a winner, and vice versa. THIS is what I would propose acting on- under the currently existing rule of flaming users.

As a mod, it is not my job to solely create rules, this I know. Someone making an innocent statement with no possible intent to troll, will not see moderation. Furthermore, you may've noticed my mention of the words 'PROPOSE acting on.' I'm aware that, as is the nature of humans, that some others on the mod team may see these disputes differently, and in the case of taking action on it, I would first get it cleared with other mods and admins.

This exact process has been done before- with the excessive use of d0med and doomed to describe everything- without reasoning, this was actively trolling said doomed item. I spoke with some others, and it was deemed that it had exceeded the level of being a joke, and thus, the action taken toward it. I would be giving the disputes about another week before starting to look at the people arguing with others about the classification of it; some things do die off on their own. And if it dies off without intervention, all the better. Though, just looking at what I've seen in this thread briefly, I do think I would be getting ready to formulate how to word things for a proposal next week. But until this is approved, it is NOT set in stone, and is, at present, not enforcable, unless someone clearly goes over the top in an attack, in which case they are subject to moderation for flaming.

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

Around the Network

I dont know what everyone is talking about Wii Is nott Doomed or dead or anything! yes its down yoy but its bessides that its a statistical tie with the chance it coming out first after adjusments, & its still selling more then any other console this year, & will most likely be the top selling console this year aswell & will be the winner of this gen. 

on another note 360 is still beasting it in america 

& ps3 great numbers aswell i'm guessing it will become first after adjustments (no wars) :D 

trasharmdsister12 said:
yo_john117 said:

Why you guys have to get your panties up in a bunch over such nonsense?

Have you ever had your panties in a bunch? It feels pretty good. That's why we use this extremely common nonsense to do so. Since these weekly numbers are common, it happens more often and we get more time to walk around in bunched panties. 

Sadly I don't even own panties so I've never been able to bunch them up

naruball said:
richardhutnik said:
Mordred11 said:

KZ3 will most likely put PS3 at #1.

Who is left that doesn't own a PS3 is going to buy one to play the FPS KZ3?  I am NOT saying KZ3 won't sell well, but actually  boost console sales?

I personally think it won't give ps3 a boost, but that's what I thought about Halo: Reach too and I was clearly wrong.

We will see some boost in NA, that is undeniable, its a good game, however we need to see how marketing works on, anyway this won't be any closer to what Halo Reach did last setember.

The situation for PS3 in the US is quite a problem for Sony. In fact, it dosen't matter if WW they sell more PS3 than XBox, in both situation the markup with hardware salles are small, the real money is with American consumers and software.

This is true when you analyse how people spend their money with Xbox Live content: games-on-demand, add-ons, movies, series, avatar itens.. and so on.

Dark_Feanor said:
naruball said:
richardhutnik said:
Mordred11 said:

Who is left that doesn't own a PS3 is going to buy one to play the FPS KZ3?  I am NOT saying KZ3 won't sell well, but actually  boost console sales?

I personally think it won't give ps3 a boost, but that's what I thought about Halo: Reach too and I was clearly wrong.

We will see some boost in NA, that is undeniable, its a good game, however we need to see how marketing works on, anyway this won't be any closer to what Halo Reach did last setember.

The situation for PS3 in the US is quite a problem for Sony. In fact, it dosen't matter if WW they sell more PS3 than XBox, in both situation the markup with hardware salles are small, the real money is with American consumers and software.

This is true when you analyse how people spend their money with Xbox Live content: games-on-demand, add-ons, movies, series, avatar itens.. and so on.

Why is this so? Do you see non-Americans living in caves and buying consoles just to decorate the living space? In many cases software sales are larger in Europe, Japan or other regions.

Mark-up prices are also probably larger in developing regions - older consoles might sell at higher prices despite far lower manufacturing costs.

Fufinu said:
Dark_Feanor said:
naruball said:
richardhutnik said:
Mordred11 said:

Why is this so? Do you see non-Americans living in caves and buying consoles just to decorate the living space? In many cases software sales are larger in Europe, Japan or other regions.

Mark-up prices are also probably larger in developing regions - older consoles might sell at higher prices despite far lower manufacturing costs.

You're quite right.  In many markets outside the US the markup on consoles is actually higher rather than lower.  In the US competitive drivers keep prices lower, with many deals from the largest retailers such as Walmart.  In a lot of emerging markets consoles are aimed at the minority who have money and will pay more.

I do agree with his point that the US is a key market for videogames and Sony is in some trouble there, but his view on markups is incorrect for many regions.

The US is important as a key single market and as a global influence on gaming trends, but it's perfectly possible to make as much money outside the US as it is in the US it just requires more localization and a broader presence in many territories.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...