By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
evolution_1ne said:

this just makes no sense, when you've sold as much as the wii has, who gives a shit if it drops off in sales? it's boung to happen, it would be like complaining the ps2 isn't selling well NOW

Sometimes, people need a reason to spread their rage against Wii, and lower sales and big dropps are good reasons.

OT: Software need to be push now.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
postofficebuddy said:
kowenicki said:
snfr said:
kowenicki said:
trasharmdsister12 said:
kowenicki said:

oh bollocks ... yes.  sorry. fixed.

No need to apologize. Keep up the great work!

Interesting that only the 360 shows YOY growth and that is comes in TWO (yes two) regions....

Well, what did you expect? With Kinect and the slim it would be weird if it was down or just flat YOY. And the PS3 and the Wii didn't have anything that pushed sales over a longer time (Wii holiday bundles did boost sales really well, and Move and GT5 also did a good job, but that isn't really comparable to Kinect in terms of impact on sales).

thats not really my point....  I do not disagree with you.

But, I keep reading that the 360 success this year is down solely to the US numbers... false.  Its up everywhere except Japan... where it hardly even matters given the size of the numbers there.

I also keep reading how the PS3 is killing in the EMEAA... and yet its down, performing worse than in 2010.  The fall of the Wii is merely showing the PS3 in a better light.

In other words... its all relatrive and the Wii performance is skewing some peoples view on things.

You seem to be overlooking some major overarching facts. Sure PS3 is down YOY in EMEAA but it's not by a large amount. This week it's only down 10k YOY in EMEAA. And the numbers that it was posting last year were genuinely dominating. Take a look at the same week back in 2008.

ConsoleWeekly (change)Total
DS 198,863 ( 23%) 23,497,326
Wii 104,740 (-4%) 6,640,142
PSP 83,690 (-1%) 13,155,848
PS2 80,673 (0%) 53,347,774
PS3 58,540 (-2%) 4,102,084
X360 43,801 ( 2%) 5,412,720
Total570,307( 6%) 

I'm sure you don't need this to remind you how well the Wii was doing back then. You mocked how little difference 360's YOY decline is in Japan and yet if the current trend continues Japan's YOY declines could end up canceling out its YOY increases in EMEAA. And PS3's YOY declines in Japan are so small it'll probably be almost eliminated once the silver PS3 model comes out over there.

eh?

the 360  is down 7000 for the whole year so far in Japan and is up 35,000 in EMEAA so far...  so no, if that current trend continue then clearly the gap could ONLY widen....

Really? PS3 DOWN, 360 UP... PS3 > 360... the GAP decreasing.

It is pretty clear that after the holidays ended in Japan in early January that the 3 consoles are going to sell just about the same amount until something drastic happens.

Sales since January 16th

Console Wii PS3 X360
Total

Something drastic by the way isnt the release of a game.  This year will all be about marketing (price reductions and bundles included) and I dont expect the Wii to take over at the end of the year either.  So get used to in reality what is going to be a boring week over week the same until one of the console makers does something with marketing.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

darthdevidem01 said:

YOY Comparison:

Wii -- Down 124K compared to last year ------ Just horrendous

Xbox 360 -- UP 22K compared to last year ------ Awesome

PS3 -- Down 32K compared to last year -------- Eww

The Wii has now the same sales as PS3 and Xbox360. I think this is a really good performance despite the fact that the january is very quiet on Wii games.

In Europe we get the Kirby Epic Yarn in february. I know at least one human who will buy a Wii for this and the announced new kirby game) :)

z101 said:
darthdevidem01 said:

YOY Comparison:

Wii -- Down 124K compared to last year ------ Just horrendous

Xbox 360 -- UP 22K compared to last year ------ Awesome

PS3 -- Down 32K compared to last year -------- Eww

The Wii has now the same sales as PS3 and Xbox360. I think this is a really good performance despite the fact that the january is very quiet on Wii games.

In Europe we get the Kirby Epic Yarn in february. I know at least one human who will buy a Wii for this and the announced new kirby game) :)

and so some members of this site lets to remind us 360 january and February besides brain and body training is lacking in game releases. So the 360 in the US is doing insane

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Around the Network

The statistical tie (or testicular pie) discussion abounds. This rather reminds of the person who crys camper when playing an attack and defence mode of COD, or the guy why cries noob tube then blows you up with the RCXD. For me it is the whine not the stating of facts that annoys me, please just refrain from making a comment as it seems to generate more fuss than if left alone.

The only solution is for one of the console manufacturers to sell more so it is not a tie. This may even be a possibility with KZ3 release.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.
kowenicki said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

Did you mean 2011 vs 2010 mayhap? Edit. Ooops! Sorry, I took too long to post, you already fixed it.  

Anyhow, despite Wii looking in the worst relative situation from last year, I still think that excessive pessimism about it is not justified, if it will follow its usual sales trend, with Autumn and Xmas sales it will reach first place for WW yearly sales, although by a smaller lead margin and by a minimal, if any, one in USA. Nothing to worry too much about, also considering that Ninty still has some moves available to give Wii a second, smaller peak that would delay the real beginning of its decline. The minimum goal Ninty needs to achieve is not being forced to launch Wii2 this year, too close to 3DS, but even with the current sales and a Xmas boost proportional to them this goal is already granted.

And finally, I love statistical ties, they make haters eat more crow than usual, don't mind them and just enjoy the show!   

Again I dont particularly disagree with your main point here... I am just clarifying some misconceptions in this thread... 

Yes, I understand your points and I quite agree, even more after reading your discussion in this thread with Reasonable, you both made things clearer.

Things are actually following their natural course, but curiously against what common sense would suggest, these statistical ties unleash the most wildly varying reactions amongst the fans and haters of the opposite fronts... It's like watching some exaggerated documentary in a pseudoscience program, I expect to see Knigths Templar, ancient Egyptians, Mayas, aliens, pyramids and Zahi Hawass at any minute now.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

kowenicki said:
Reasonable said:
kowenicki said:
trasharmdsister12 said:
kowenicki said:

oh bollocks ... yes.  sorry. fixed.

No need to apologize. Keep up the great work!

Interesting that only the 360 shows YOY growth and that is comes in TWO (yes two) regions....  

Not really TBH.  360 is up (and it's great work due to MS to be sure) and PS3 is slightly down as the 360 is the closest to a recent big change (Kinect) while PS3 is now trending against it's own previous big spike (the Slim/price cut).  There's nothing unexpected about it.  In fact if the 360, as the only console still riding a recent peak wasn't up YOY it would be troubling.

Nothing material has changed with regard to 360/PS3 worldwide (360 stronger in US, PS3 stronger in Japan and PS3 somewhat stronger in EMEAA) and there is no sign of the deadlock changing.  A price cut will push the PS3 up again YOY and no doubt when Kinect boost fades and 360 starts to go down YOY MS will price cut themselves to push another flip.

The only really interesting thing I see is the Wii dropping so fast outside the holidays - it always was very seasonal but it now looks like it's going to spend most of every year behind the HD consoles until the holidays when it stands a chance of reversing things.

The overall deadlock and closesness of sales looks here to stay and I'm thinking I'll probably cut back on posting in sales threads for a while as there is so little to really comment on other that noting another statistical tie or reminding people not to read too much into the Wii's drop in relation to its overall position and seasonal sales.

Things are so consistent week on week and most threads now just turn silly as the fans try and claim some sort of victory or change in the market that doesn't actually exist.

Not trying to be negative but really we're talking about a market that is currently almost tied every week worldwide and all the big cards seem to have been played, from Kinect most recently, to Move, to new models, to all the big exclusives combined with lots of creative bundling and big marketing drives.

The end result is a worldwide tie between HD consoles with the Wii dropping but still looking to have to much of a lead to be catchable even if the HD consoles did manage to consistently outsell it.

Looking at their respective time on the market it's clear the PS3/360 are locked in a virtual tie worldwide with strong dominance in individual markets.  Meanwhile the Wii does seem to have peaked but given it's lowered sales are so close to the HD consoles and it can still outsell them during the peak season it seems unlikely it's worldwide lead (both HW and SW) will ever be seriously threatended.

Actually, I guess what's most interesting of all is to be at this stage in a console generation and have such a contested, deadlocked picture - a far cry from previous generations where there always tended to be a fairly clear cut overall winner.

Exactly my point.  The data I posted supports this.  The Wii has dropped off and this pushes the 360 and PS3 up the chart (highlighting them) but actually does not change the way the two have been performing relative to each other.   Nothing has changed much.    The 360 has always been more powerful in the US, now more so, the PS3 has for a long time been more powerful in EMEAA, now slighlty less so.   My other sub-point was that the EMEAA is actually contributing more to the 360 success this year than last year...

Yah.  I know and agree.  Sorry if I seemed unduly negative as I was agreeing really.  Right now everything is so flat and stable it's hard to comment meangingfully really.

Still, no doubt soon enough we'll have a price cut or some other activity that'll shake things up a bit.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Good week for the 360, right back up on top of things!  I'm impressed how they recovered from the RROD and also being behind by so much in the last Gen to the ps2.  MS with the huge comeback this Gen!