By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Pirates, admit you're thieves

oniyide said:

@livingmetal  you sound like my grandma, but i dont disagree, however I was referring really to the old as hell games. its not like you can go to the store and buy them and if you could it would be some thrift store so its not like the developers are going to get money on that either way. One would argue that you can buy of WiiWare/PSN (this is what i have been doing, FYI)

Don't be dissing grandma.  Never!  Grandmas are awesome!  Always!

Around the Network
Khuutra said:

We used to do this - BengaBenga was particularly ruthless on this front - and I don't mind it as an idea. That's no excuse for headlines and articles perverting the dialogue, or people perpetuating ass-backwards sound bites (CARL).

Again: all for banning people who brag about their piracy. That's fine. But we should be clear and distinct that we're talking about copyright infringement and not theft.

Nice to see you have a normal Avatar back.

Anyway. If you mean me posting those 2 "videos". They're totally allowed. The companies responsible FOR the music have the power to take stuff off of Youtube. They choose not to. If a Music (Or game) company doesn't want them on Youtube, they get taken down. The same can't be said of Torrent sites or whatever people download from.

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend is the most notable. It was the most watched video on Youtube, until Copyright was claimed or whatever happend. Companies have the power to get stuff removed from Youtube, IF they want to. Square Enix/Nintendo quite obviously don't want those pieces of music taken off Youtube.

Carl2291 said:
icefaii said:

@Carl2291

btw pay for your sig and avatar please.

Firstly, I don't need to pay for my Avatar at all. It's a screen-cap from the Final Fantasy XIII-2 Trailer that has been put on the Internet by Square Enix. It's not stealing. It's not pirating. It's not "sharing". Square Enix put it there, and they don't want you to pay to see the trailer. I win.

Secondly, I don't need to pay for my Sig neither. It's from Tekzilla, which I can watch for free on the Internet on Tekzilla's Website. Done by Tekzilla. They don't want me to pay.

You, downloading a copy of Final Fantasy XIII free from the Internet though. That's something you should pay for. Not get for free.

Carl dammit you cannot be this wrong this flagrantly.

In the first place, Square still holds copyright on those images regardless of where they're posted, just like TV studios still own copyright of TV shows even if they're on Hulu. It being on the internet for free has nothing to do with it.

What does have something to do with it is fair use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Educate thyself.

Carl2291 said:
Khuutra said:

We used to do this - BengaBenga was particularly ruthless on this front - and I don't mind it as an idea. That's no excuse for headlines and articles perverting the dialogue, or people perpetuating ass-backwards sound bites (CARL).

Again: all for banning people who brag about their piracy. That's fine. But we should be clear and distinct that we're talking about copyright infringement and not theft.

Nice to see you have a normal Avatar back.

Anyway. If you mean me posting those 2 "videos". They're totally allowed. The companies responsible FOR the music have the power to take stuff off of Youtube. They choose not to. If a Music (Or game) company doesn't want them on Youtube, they get taken down. The same can't be said of Torrent sites or whatever people download from.

Avril Lavigne - Girlfriend is the most notable. It was the most watched video on Youtube, until Copyright was claimed or whatever happend. Companies have the power to get stuff removed from Youtube, IF they want to. Square Enix/Nintendo quite obviously don't want those pieces of music taken off Youtube.

BUUUUUUZZZZZZ

Wrong answer.

One, I was referring to this "you should pay for it" thing, which is just a way to stifle dialogue and does not promote learning or thought in any way. You do a disservice to yourself and to the people around you by repeating that load of garbage over and over.

Second, you are wrong concerning the Youtube vids. Lack of action does not actually imply consent; it's still actionable and it's still copyright violation. Unless Nintendo or Square specifically release their music into the public domain, the existence of those songs on Youtube is still copyright infringement, and so is your hotlinking them on this forum. Congratulations, you fell ass backwards into a bubbling toilet of copyright infringement of a different color. Or, if you prefer, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT, and even then you aren't allowed to post it on Youtube. That's how copyright works.

Thirdly, you're going to miss that picture of my wife when this avatar starts inevitably informing how I post.

Khuutra said:

Carl dammit you cannot be this wrong this flagrantly.

In the first place, Square still holds copyright on those images regardless of where they're posted, just like TV studios still own copyright of TV shows even if they're on Hulu. It being on the internet for free has nothing to do with it.

What does have something to do with it is fair use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Educate thyself.

Thanks Khuutra. Is there anything you don't know?

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Seece said:

I wish we took a stronger stance against game pirates here, like banning them all. They go without any punishement .. heck even one of our MODS is a proud pirate ... disgusting, doesn't deserve to play video games.

Oh man, when I was mod, I was constantly wanting to ban people that admitted to pirating.  If ioi would have let me I would have an absolute blast in this thread and hand out permabans with no remorse what-so-ever.  I don't really understand why pirates come to a forum dedicated to the thing they're actively trying to destroy anyways.

Carl2291 said:
icefaii said:

@Carl2291

btw pay for your sig and avatar please.

Firstly, I don't need to pay for my Avatar at all. It's a screen-cap from the Final Fantasy XIII-2 Trailer that has been put on the Internet by Square Enix. It's not stealing. It's not pirating. It's not "sharing". Square Enix put it there, and they don't want you to pay to see the trailer. I win.

Secondly, I don't need to pay for my Sig neither. It's from Tekzilla, which I can watch for free on the Internet on Tekzilla's Website. Done by Tekzilla. They don't want me to pay.

You, downloading a copy of Final Fantasy XIII free from the Internet though. That's something you should pay for. Not get for free.

I don't know about this. But you posted 2 YouTube videos with FFIX and DKC tracks in the second page of this thread.

Whoever uploaded those videos to the internet, even if he bought the soundtrack disc, isn't paying any royalties or has been given permission by Nintendo or Square Enix to distribute those songs on youtube. Specially since Nintendo or Square Enix probably sell the games soundtrack and wouldn't like them to be distributed for free on the internet.

You distributed those illegaly distributed songs. You're a "pirate" just like the dude who uploaded the tracks... and everyone who clicked on the play button and listened to those tracks for free is also a pirate. Including myself.

But don't worry, I have posted Soundtrack YouTube videos on vgchartz too... so yeah, I guess I'm a pirate and a thieve like Twesterm says. I'd say 99% of the people who have posted on this thread have done that, and are pirates themselves without even realizing it.

You should have payed for those songs. And you shouldn't have distributed them for free. That's like downloading an ISO file and distributing it around the internet.

Maybe I'm wrong? xD Can someone tell me if that's copyright infringement (pirating)?

A banner stolen from some site xD

Release Final Fantasy Versus XIII nowwwwwwwwww!!! lol :P

twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

Oh man, when I was mod, I was constantly wanting to ban people that admitted to pirating.  If ioi would have let me I would have an absolute blast in this thread and hand out permabans with no remorse what-so-ever.  I don't really understand why pirates come to a forum dedicated to the thing they're actively trying to destroy anyways.

You cannot actually believe the things that your fingers are committing indelibly to cyberspace.

Khuutra said:

BUUUUUUZZZZZZ

Wrong answer.

One, I was referring to this "you should pay for it" thing, which is just a way to stifle dialogue and does not promote learning or thought in any way. You do a disservice to yourself and to the people around you by repeating that load of garbage over and over.

Second, you are wrong concerning the Youtube vids. Lack of action does not actually imply consent; it's still actionable and it's still copyright violation. Unless Nintendo or Square specifically release their music into the public domain, the existence of those songs on Youtube is still copyright infringement, and so is your hotlinking them on this forum. Congratulations, you fell ass backwards into a bubbling toilet of copyright infringement of a different color. Or, if you prefer, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT, and even then you aren't allowed to post it on Youtube. That's how copyright works.

Thirdly, you're going to miss that picture of my wife when this avatar starts inevitably informing how I post.

So me actually posting those videos from Youtube is practically Pirating?

/hangs self.

Machina said:
ameratsu said:
Seece said:

I wish we took a stronger stance against game pirates here, like banning them all. They go without any punishement .. heck even one of our MODS is a proud pirate ... disgusting, doesn't deserve to play video games.

I think we should take a stronger stance against people who use avatars for games they probably aren't very good at.

(the real deal / still something to prove or gtfo)

He has both - http://profile.mygamercard.net/dynosaw

Well he plays a Valve FPS on x360 so that clouds my judgment of his abilites a bit. Still, it seems he does have them so he is pretty good at it. I take back what I said.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka