By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saving the Wii. Can Nintendo do it?

Saving the Wii. Can Nintendo do it?

Yes 82 30.04%

No 55 20.15%

Maybe 27 9.89%

They need to localise TLS... 80 29.30%

Don't care. It doesn't have HD graphics 28 10.26%

Total:272

I have already said multiple times that the Wii just needs Pokemon and a clever redesign to regain a strong momentum.

But hardware sales are not a big issue for Nintendo anymore. It really doesn't matter how many units the Wii is going to sell this year. The installed base is already huge and should be big enough to have amazing software sales which at the end of the day is what really matters for Nintendo. Nintendo games are indeed selling amazingly well on this platform thanks to it. But not third party games and third party support is still very poor and this situation is just not healthy for the platform. That's still the biggest problem of the platform and the only one Nintendo should care about. And another Wii_game won't solve this at all. Nintendo must release games that third party can do as well : 2D and 3D platform games are some making the release of games like EM and Sonic colours possible and successful. But that's not enough.

That's why games like Xenoblade, The Last Story, probably Pandora's Tower even Zelda but more importantly DQX and hopefully a true Pokemon game are what they really need from a strategic standpoint. Even if some of these games doesn't sell very well releasing more of these kind of software, basically JRPGs or adventure games, can help them to finally have enough hardcore gamers to create at least a healthy market for third party hardcore games as well. Releasing a true Pokemon RPG and DQ  in few months especially could be a fanatstic opportunity to finally reach that goal.

This is what should really matter for Nintendo right now and how well they can finally tackle this issue will certainly be more important for the future of the Wii than anything else.

Around the Network
Snesboy said:

You can't spell IGNorance without I-G-N.

The issue is, the problem spreads much, much further than IGN. A quick search on Google shows the following results:

http://www.slashgear.com/nintendo-must-release-the-wii-2-this-year-05131138/

http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/20110205/nintendo-wii-2-release-date-in-2011/

http://www.huliq.com/10177/analyst-claims-nintendo-wii-2-strategy-doomed

To name the top 3 which appear. The gaming media fails to understand the success Nintendo has had, and how relative it's doing to the other consoles at the moment. If someone, i.e. Patcher, says it's "in trouble", suddenly the media turn on Nintendo, regardless of its history

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

If its really easy to port 3DS games to the Wii, then take everything for every dime you can get. Both machines are about the same . No ?

RolStoppable said:
Albion said:

If its really easy to port 3DS games to the Wii, then take everything for every dime you can get. Both machines are about the same . No ?

Yes, both machines are about the same, but that doesn't mean that the Wii is going to get any games. The lack of Wii's support was never really a matter of incompatible hardware.

Then thats got to be there game plan.. Try and get 3rd Party support for the 3DS and ask them to Port to Wii.

That would keep the Wii going for the rest of the generation.

RolStoppable said:
Albion said:

Then thats got to be there game plan.. Try and get 3rd Party support for the 3DS and ask them to Port to Wii.

That would keep the Wii going for the rest of the generation.

Nintendo would have to pay for every single port and that's not going to happen.

the sooner the 3DS is a success, the faster they can get back to helping the Wii.

If 3DS has huge 3rd party support, that will free up Nintendo to help out the Wii with software.

Your right ROL. That would put Wii in  agaist the 3DS anyways.  

If 3DS fails to launch and takes Nintendo's attention away from the Wii/As the PS3 failed at launch and took attention away from PSP.

The Wii wont get the support it needs to push it forward to its potential. 

Though that will be less damaging for Nintendo as its reached a high market penetration.

Around the Network

Well, even if it doesn't get the support from the 3DS, looks like we're at least getting Xenoblade and The Last Story, and probably Tales Of Graces...

With Zelda, Pandora's Tower, Conduit 2, Kirby Wii, Pikmin 3, Dragon Quest X and the 'loads of new games at E3' confirmed today, that's a good start, no?

Guys, a new design with HD graphics it's not a new model but a new console.

I do not want Excitebots or Captain Rainbow.

I want games like Zelda, Dragon Quest X, Xenoblade or The Last Story.

They better praise that 3rd party games have a good start on 3DS so this way they can keep 3rd party support on Wii2.

All the Wii needs is a new design (Wii Slim or something similar) with an additional quality (something stupid to make people buy the console again). This must be done with a price cut, lowering the price to 150$ and new colours.

Finally, we have the 25th Legend of Zelda anniversary, so I am expecting them to do some special packs next holiday season.

Conegamer said:

Well, even if it doesn't get the support from the 3DS, looks like we're at least getting Xenoblade and The Last Story, and probably Tales Of Graces...

With Zelda, Pandora's Tower, Conduit 2, Kirby Wii, Pikmin 3, Dragon Quest X and the 'loads of new games at E3' confirmed today, that's a good start finish, no?

Wii will be no more come next year.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:

With Zelda, Pandora's Tower, Conduit 2, Kirby Wii, Pikmin 3, Dragon Quest X and the 'loads of new games at E3' confirmed today, that's a good start, no?

That's not a start, that is the end. Nothing will come afterwards as Nintendo will be preparing for their next home console, just as they should. The Wii has run its course, it's as good as done. There is no incentive to keep it going for much longer.

Depends what they've got in the pipeline and how far off Wii2 is. We'll find out at E3 I feel the life that the white waggle wonderbox has left...

DavidValbu said:

Guys, a new design with HD graphics it's not a new model but a new console.

I do not want Excitebots or Captain Rainbow.

I want games like Zelda, Dragon Quest X, Xenoblade or The Last Story.

They better praise that 3rd party games have a good start on 3DS so this way they can keep 3rd party support on Wii2.

All the Wii needs is a new design (Wii Slim or something similar) with an additional quality (something stupid to make people buy the console again). This must be done with a price cut, lowering the price to 150$ and new colours.

Finally, we have the 25th Legend of Zelda anniversary, so I am expecting them to do some special packs next holiday season.

Well said there  

Also, how cool would it be to get Majora's Mask, the original 3, ALttP and WW with all the missing dungeons on a single disk? We live in hope...