By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Saving the Wii. Can Nintendo do it?

 

Saving the Wii. Can Nintendo do it?

Yes 82 30.04%
 
No 55 20.15%
 
Maybe 27 9.89%
 
They need to localise TLS... 80 29.30%
 
Don't care. It doesn't have HD graphics 28 10.26%
 
Total:272
Albion said:
oniyide said:

@albion i agree with the "novelty" part to a certain extent. the whole motion thing was hijacked and (IMO) done better by the comp. (maybe not Kinect) but im still holding out hope for a Mario Tennis/Golf. If i get that and they dont suck ill never say anything negative about Wii

Motion controls novelty is so dead to me, I dont even want to buy the move and the Xbox thing-a-mabob.

Strew Motion BS. It died cause of to many shovel ware

 

Nintendo needs to drop that Dog. and Totaly go For Graphics and 3D GoGoGo~~!!!

 

Psshhh...Motion Controls are going to be awesome next gen.

If Nintendo drops motion controls and goes back to classic controllers (no way!), I will quit gaming.

I'm so tired of DA and want a change in how we play games. Motion controls is that change.

So keep it going Nintendo! Bring motion controls to their full potential!



Around the Network
Play4Fun said:
Albion said:
oniyide said:

@albion i agree with the "novelty" part to a certain extent. the whole motion thing was hijacked and (IMO) done better by the comp. (maybe not Kinect) but im still holding out hope for a Mario Tennis/Golf. If i get that and they dont suck ill never say anything negative about Wii

Motion controls novelty is so dead to me, I dont even want to buy the move and the Xbox thing-a-mabob.

Strew Motion BS. It died cause of to many shovel ware

 

Nintendo needs to drop that Dog. and Totaly go For Graphics and 3D GoGoGo~~!!!

 

Psshhh...Motion Controls are going to be awesome next gen.

If Nintendo drops motion controls and goes back to classic controllers (no way!), I will quit gaming.

I'm so tired of DA and want a change in how we play games. Motion controls is that change.

So keep it going Nintendo! Bring motion controls to their full potential!



Im not saying Drop Motion. Im saying turn the attention to something new.

Keep motion in everything going forward yes. But dont bother making it your selling point.

3DS has cool motion detection. Its just not its main selling point.



@albion i respect your opinion but im not ready to give up on motion controls yet. Shovelware really screwed it up, to much "me too" Wii games out their and it didnt help that the motion tech wasnt even close to 1:1, it took too long to release a add-on to fixt that conundrum, and they dont even support the damn thing. Flingsmash?! WTF was that??? Move is just a souped up Wiimote and Kinect is a hyper PSeye, none of them are delivering compelling software



@play4fun  they've had years to bring it to its full potential, and we are still waiting.



oniyide said:

@play4fun  they've had years to bring it to its full potential, and we are still waiting.



Ya and now that everyone els has jumped on board. The best thing Nintendo can do is let it fail.

If it succed's from now forward Sony and Microsoft have more to win cause they already have the

Graphics.

 

Nintendo might actually want. Motion Controlers to fail at this pointe No ? They made Billions with it. Why would they care if it Floped at this pointe?



Around the Network

^^^that....makes sense. I still dont like it, feel messed up to release a product, get your money and then just leave for the next thing when you havent even gotten close to taping its potential. But hell thats buisness, at least MS is standing by their device, moreso than i can say for the others



TeddostheFireKing said:
Raze said:

I never really do get the whole "Wii is doomed" thing. I really don't see it. Every holiday season, the Wii sells dramamtically more than the HD systems do to the point it pretty much makes up for all the slagging sales through the year.

The question should be - Does Nintendo need to do anything in order to save the Wii? Does the Wii need saving?

Granted, I'm a PC gamer mostly, so ultimately, Im detatched from the console "wars" going on. But from the outside in, it all seems to break even by the end of the year. Since the launch, the Wii never broke the 50% marketshare barrier. 5 years later, it's only lost around 4% marketshare. In a hypothetical situation, with no new systems released, the Wii could retain over 40% marketshare 5 years from now.

So, I don't get what all the "doom" is about. Is it just wishful thinking by the HD crowd? It can't be based on facts, because the numbers don't line up.

I think the only thing Nintendo needs to do is try to win back some of the "core" audience with games for them, so they finish off this generation with a good start into next generation. Lord knows they have enough money to operate at a loss for the next 20 years if they so decided to build a mega system. Of course, this is Nintendo, that's not what they do.

I agree with you that the Wii doesn't need saving hardware sales wise, and software for casual gamers is great, but for hardcore gamers, the Wii doesn't get enough support from 3rd parties and Nintendo don't spread their releases out enough to help that, so realtively the Wii's hardcore audience need games and they (in IGN's view) need saving

also the Wii did break 50% marketshare before, it was between 2007-08, HD took it back and it is where it is now, slowly receding 

Ah didnt know that, I stand corrected. =)



The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 


oniyide said:

^^^that....makes sense. I still dont like it, feel messed up to release a product, get your money and then just leave for the next thing when you havent even gotten close to taping its potential. But hell thats buisness, at least MS is standing by their device, moreso than i can say for the others

They will tap into its potential just when MS and Sony have given up on it.

 Just not right now when the other 2 are pushing motion controlers hard  copying any success and cashing in on it.

Nintendo Buisness stratagy  is not to fight Sony and MS.

Its to fill in the gaps they leave behind.



Nintendo isn't even going to try to revitalize the wii they are going to just let its sales fall and then release a new console when it falls to unacceptable levels, they are currently busy with the 3DS they really don't give a shit about the wii right now



Seece said:

Doesn't need saving, or does saving in this case consitute being in first again? Sorry, didn't read the op so don't know what you covered.

Well this thread is actually couple months old now, and was in retaliation to a 'the Wii's fall from grace' thread.

The OP shows a list of things which Nintendo could do in order for Wii to finish comfortably first this year, and indeed be up YoY. I've crossed off the Xenoblade thingy now as well



 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.