By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 3DS vs PSP: Which actually has the best graphics?

I wish people would discuss this issue with a bit more fairness. Despite there being getting on 7 years between th launch of the psp and 3DS there does seem to be a few issues with the 3DS technically and its fair to say we should compare the 3DS to the PSP rather than 3DS vs NGP because Nintendo have not pushed the envelope at all in the technology it has apart from the 3D function.

On this very thread someone has linked to 3DS graphics from a development machine not a actual 3DS at all and compared it to PSP. That hardly seems fair. Also a ton of 3DS games are full of short clips of fmv which is pre-rendered on more advanced hardware with the actual gameplay jumping down in visual quality. Despite characters in the foreground being highly detailed I've found objects in the background on many games look low res with poor textures.

Games like Dead or Alive only work at 30fps in 3D mode with frame rate issues but a full 60fps in 2D mode but remember the 3DS only has a 400x240 resolution screen in 2D mode less than the psp's 480x272.

Many PSP videos are taken directly from the PSP's tv output where as tv output from the 3DS is from development systems due to lack of output on the 3DS itself.

Both PSP and 3DS are capable of showing detailed fmv footage at their respective resolutions. So its important to concentrate on gameplay footage for comparison.

The 3DS has a 133mhz gpu which is clearly more upto date and advanced that the psp's  gpu although the psp has a speed advantage that its can run upto 166mhz.

The dual core arrangement in the 3DS is 2xarm at 266mhz where as the psp has a core mips processor at upto 333mhz and a secondarly core at upto 333mhz too but it doesn't directly have access to the gpu. It's mostly used for decompressing mpeg4 etc but is also a fully usable processor.

Graphically the psp can't quite do all the tricks of the 3DS but in cpu terms its as powerful or more powerful!

They both share 4meg video and 64meg main memory but the early psp1000 only has 32meg main memory and games have to provide compatibility with both the slim/go models and the early model.Often this means additional loading or graphical tweaks to have dual compatibility. Less ambitious games don't need to change anything.

You can not just overlook the fact the PSP has a higher resolution this clearly means in one way its graphics are superior to 3DS no question.

There are many wii, psp and ps2 games that were jointly developed due to similar resources.

Also cartridge sizes for the 3DS, for a long time Nintendo always used megabits instead of megabytes to describe its cartridges there has been no announcement that they have stopped doing this so the carts are more than likely 2gigabits rather than 2 gigabytes. Clearly games like streetfighter 3D which had an issue that it can only fit one speech set on the cartridge is struggling for space which means these are probaly small cartridges. The jap version only has japanese speech and the european/usa version only has english. Its pretty obvious these are 2gigabits, i.e. 256 megabyte cartridges which means they are only tiny capacity cartridges. Ridge Racer was 32meg on the DS and I'm sure the latest 3D version can easily fit into 256megabytes, 8x that size. It would be ridiculous to think that Ridge Racer needed 2 gigabytes looking at it especially when the DS version was 32meg. It only seems to have a 16bit palette for a start and doesn't look 24bit.

PSP games can hold upto 1.8 gigabytes which is much more generous and also even the NGP which is much more powerful than either psp or 3DS only has 2  or 4 gigabyte cartridges. However Sony are honest with their cartridge capacities. Nintendo are claiming carts upto 8gig in future but this is clearly really 1gigabyte as there is no way the 3DS could use 8gigabytes realistically.

I would put both psp and 3ds in the same camp because they both provide games of a similar ambition which is equivilant of dreamcast/ps2 level. Even though the 3DS may be capable of greater graphically detail I think the slower arm processors and the fact the 3DS has many more background tasks to do means its not capable of such ambitious games as psp.

So far 3DS games are N64/DS conversions with updated graphics or PS2/DC level with some compromises. We are not seeing game worlds as ambitious as  wii or original xbox. The psp can do full versions of xbox/ps2 games like Grand theft auto and Monster Hunter Portable to a similar level to wii. What we are seeing is games like Ocarina of time (a 32meg n64 game).

So yes the 3DS may be capable of slightly better graphical level albeit with less resolution but its game worlds are looking pretty limited so far and its not showing the ambition of some psp games. Where are the conversions of windwaker or other classic gamecube and wii games?

So if you make the comparison that the psp offers higher resolution and more diverse graphics due to greater storage I think the psp competes quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBFE495vmm0

I used the above trailer as its gameplay or game engine footage rather than the other trailer which uses pre-rendered footage from a more advanced system.

Mind you saying all that I still use my DS more than my psp as for portable gaming and I don't find graphics the number one importance in a portable system but there is some annoying hype about the 3DS which is getting a bit ridiculous.

I'm sure people will realise that when they get one, nice 3D effect but not that powerful a console.

Can we just have some realism about the 3DS. The tone of this thread is like the 3DS is many times better than psp but where are you getting this information?

The specification was leaked sometime ago and it was all over the internet 133mhz gpu, 266mhz dual core arm processor. I think Nintendo were forced to aim low on performance because the 3D screen draws a huge amount of current for its size due to it having to be extra bright for the 3D effect.

Just to conclude the 3DS does have better gpu technology than psp but that is clearly not the whole picture.

Around the Network

Does it even matter?

You are playing on a handheld. You wouldn't be credible if you said you minded about graphics.

10 years ago I was happy with an ARM7 processor and 32-bit graphics. You should be happy with what you are getting now.

davidd_err18 said:

Also, I am happy with the graphics of the 3DS =)! I just LOVE Kid Icarus and Zelda*grooling*

Just HEAR the music of kid icarus :,)!!!!

Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

oh hell yush havent seen this gameplay.

Mad55 said:
davidd_err18 said:

Also, I am happy with the graphics of the 3DS =)! I just LOVE Kid Icarus and Zelda*grooling*

Just HEAR the music of kid icarus :,)!!!!

Download:
FLVMP43GP
Download:
FLVMP43GP

oh hell yush havent seen this gameplay.

yes, same here... I am amazed to see the speed on Kid ikarus, it seems a pretty solid game...

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:

Also cartridge sizes for the 3DS, for a long time Nintendo always used megabits instead of megabytes to describe its cartridges there has been no announcement that they have stopped doing this so the carts are more than likely 2gigabits rather than 2 gigabytes. Clearly games like streetfighter 3D which had an issue that it can only fit one speech set on the cartridge is struggling for space which means these are probaly small cartridges. The jap version only has japanese speech and the european/usa version only has english. Its pretty obvious these are 2gigabits, i.e. 256 megabyte cartridges which means they are only tiny capacity cartridges. Ridge Racer was 32meg on the DS and I'm sure the latest 3D version can easily fit into 256megabytes, 8x that size. It would be ridiculous to think that Ridge Racer needed 2 gigabytes looking at it especially when the DS version was 32meg. It only seems to have a 16bit palette for a start and doesn't look 24bit.

PSP games can hold upto 1.8 gigabytes which is much more generous and also even the NGP which is much more powerful than either psp or 3DS only has 2  or 4 gigabyte cartridges. However Sony are honest with their cartridge capacities. Nintendo are claiming carts upto 8gig in future but this is clearly really 1gigabyte as there is no way the 3DS could use 8gigabytes realistically.

Let me just rule this out completely, okay the initial cart size limitations for 3DS is like 2GB not bits, bytes, there's no way in hell Super Street Fighter IV fits on a cart that is smaller than the current max cart on the DS, which is 4 gigabits or a half a gigabyte, basically you're making a pretty big assumption here and logic tells a different story, but if you pay attention to the announcements it says bytes and not bits.

Also since you're new I'm not really getting onto you, but we don't bump long dead threads like these, if you want to discuss it further you could always make your own discussion thread about it showing your points, anyway welcome to the community!

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

bonzobanana said:

On this very thread someone has linked to 3DS graphics from a development machine not a actual 3DS at all and compared it to PSP. That hardly seems fair. Also a ton of 3DS games are full of short clips of fmv which is pre-rendered on more advanced hardware with the actual gameplay jumping down in visual quality. Despite characters in the foreground being highly detailed I've found objects in the background on many games look low res with poor textures.

Dev consoles output the exact same level of graphics as retail devices, that's kinda the point they are used to test the games.

Games like Dead or Alive only work at 30fps in 3D mode with frame rate issues but a full 60fps in 2D mode but remember the 3DS only has a 400x240 resolution screen in 2D mode less than the psp's 480x272.

so? many PSP games are 30 FPS in 2D

Many PSP videos are taken directly from the PSP's tv output where as tv output from the 3DS is from development systems due to lack of output on the 3DS itself.

see above there is no difference in visuals

Both PSP and 3DS are capable of showing detailed fmv footage at their respective resolutions. So its important to concentrate on gameplay footage for comparison.

just about all 3DS footage has been confirmed to be in game and not FMV including the MGS demo that you could control the camera in the E3 demo for example.

The 3DS has a 133mhz gpu which is clearly more upto date and advanced that the psp's  gpu although the psp has a speed advantage that its can run upto 166mhz.

the speed of 3DS's GPU has never been announced curently the leaks have suggested at least 200Mhz some reports have pegged it as high as 400Mhz but I doubt that 

The dual core arrangement in the 3DS is 2xarm at 266mhz where as the psp has a core mips processor at upto 333mhz and a secondarly core at upto 333mhz too but it doesn't directly have access to the gpu. It's mostly used for decompressing mpeg4 etc but is also a fully usable processor.

again the CPU spec has never been confirmed for the 3DS, but you should note that the current rumored duel core CPU that the 3DS is said to be using per core outperforms the PSP CPU clock for clock also the co-procesor can't be used as a second processor as it is fixed function.

Graphically the psp can't quite do all the tricks of the 3DS but in cpu terms its as powerful or more powerful!

The 3DS can pull off more advanced tricks and according to rumoured specs is more powerful than the PSP in raw terms as well

They both share 4meg video and 64meg main memory but the early psp1000 only has 32meg main memory and games have to provide compatibility with both the slim/go models and the early model.Often this means additional loading or graphical tweaks to have dual compatibility. Less ambitious games don't need to change anything.

3DS memory has not been confirmed  

You can not just overlook the fact the PSP has a higher resolution this clearly means in one way its graphics are superior to 3DS no question.

Only in 2D for just the top screen of the 3DS, keep in mind that the 3DS has two screens and in 3D mode the 3DS can run games on the same level of PSP games in a higher resolution on just the top screen.

There are many wii, psp and ps2 games that were jointly developed due to similar resources.

So? there were also many PC XBOX PS2 multiplats but the PC and XBOX were both far more powerful at the time.

Carts have been confirmed to be 1-2GB at launch with capacity capable of expanding up to 8GB this was confirmed by the manufacturer of the carts not Nintendo hence the difference in termanology

PS2 games were up to 8GB and the 3DS uses the same level of assets there is no reason why the 3DS couldn't use that much data for it's  games especially if they include 3D FMV which they likely will.

I would put both psp and 3ds in the same camp because they both provide games of a similar ambition which is equivilant of dreamcast/ps2 level. Even though the 3DS may be capable of greater graphically detail I think the slower arm processors and the fact the 3DS has many more background tasks to do means its not capable of such ambitious games as psp.

The PSP has pleanty of background tasks as well and the rumored specs for the 3DS place it well above the PSP as I have stated

So far 3DS games are N64/DS conversions with updated graphics or PS2/DC level with some compromises. We are not seeing game worlds as ambitious as  wii or original xbox. The psp can do full versions of xbox/ps2 games like Grand theft auto and Monster Hunter Portable to a similar level to wii. What we are seeing is games like Ocarina of time (a 32meg n64 game).

What you are forgetting is that these are launch titles made in a short time span, there are also several PS2 level game ports in the pipe line including Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars, Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D and Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D there are also several down ports of PS360 level games like Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (uses some down rezed RE5 assets) and Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition

So yes the 3DS may be capable of slightly better graphical level albeit with less resolution but its game worlds are looking pretty limited so far and its not showing the ambition of some psp games. Where are the conversions of windwaker or other classic gamecube and wii games?

3DS is capable of games that look better and run at a higher resolution in 3D than the PSP, and agin launch titles, RE: Revelations shows plenty of ambition BTW

So if you make the comparison that the psp offers higher resolution and more diverse graphics due to greater storage I think the psp competes quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBFE495vmm0

I counter with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8BWvgtqDUw and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhBMipYb0uU running on actual hardware in real time

I used the above trailer as its gameplay or game engine footage rather than the other trailer which uses pre-rendered footage from a more advanced system.

Mind you saying all that I still use my DS more than my psp as for portable gaming and I don't find graphics the number one importance in a portable system but there is some annoying hype about the 3DS which is getting a bit ridiculous.

I'm sure people will realise that when they get one, nice 3D effect but not that powerful a console.

Can we just have some realism about the 3DS. The tone of this thread is like the 3DS is many times better than psp but where are you getting this information?

The specification was leaked sometime ago and it was all over the internet 133mhz gpu, 266mhz dual core arm processor. I think Nintendo were forced to aim low on performance because the 3D screen draws a huge amount of current for its size due to it having to be extra bright for the 3D effect.

Just to conclude the 3DS does have better gpu technology than psp but that is clearly not the whole picture.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Which games sold better in Japan during 3DS launch week? PSP ones!!! And the week after? PSP and PS3 ones!!!!! Do your maths...  O-)   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

Which games sold better in Japan during 3DS launch week? PSP ones!!! And the week after? PSP and PS3 ones!!!!! Do your maths...  O-)   

yea but 3 of the 3DS launch titles sold out and the PSP has a far larger install base, PS2 and DS games outsold PS3 launch titles at launch as well.

and yes I know you were being sarcastic.

in fact seccond week of the PS3 in Japan, first was just 2 days 

Pokémon Diamond / Pearl (DS)
ポケットモンスター ダイヤモンド / パール
Nintendo
8 116,879 3,304,496
Sengoku Musou 2: Empires (PS2)
戦国無双2 Empires
Koei
1 94,117 94,117
Kanshuu Nippon Joushikiryoku Kentei Kyoukai: Imasara Hito ni wa Kikenai Otona no Joushikiryoku Training DS(DS)

Nintendo
4 76,091 537,728
Hoshi no Kirby: Sanjou! Dorocche Dan (DS)
星のカービィ 参上! ドロッチェ団 
Nintendo
3 50,898 289,910
Magic Taizen (DS)
マジック大全
Nintendo
1 26,602 26,602
New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
ニュースーパーマリオブラザーズ
Nintendo
26 24,175 3,511,890
Ryu ga Gotoku (PS2)
龍が如く
Sega
50 23,027 437,149
Touhoku Daigaku Mirai Kagaku Gijutsu Kyoudou Kenkyuu Center Kawashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu: Motto Nou wo Kitaeru Otona no DS Training (DS)
東北大学未来科学技術共同研究センター 川島隆太教授監
Nintendo
47 20,563 3,537,603
Zaidan Houjin Nippon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Koushiki Soft: 200 Mannin no KanKen: Tokoton Kanji Nou (DS)
200万人の漢検 とことん漢字脳 
IE Institute
2 20,039 52,990
Naruto: Konoha Spirits (PS2)

Bandai
1 19,387 19,387
Negima!? 3-Jikanme ~Koi to Mahou to Sekaiju Densetsu~ (PS2)
ネギま!?3時間目~恋と魔法と世界樹伝説!~
Konami
1 18,403 18,403
Akumajou Dracula: Gallery of Labyrinth (DS)
悪魔城ドラキュラ -ギャラリー オブ ラビリンス-
Konami
1 16,327 16,327
Oide yo Doubutsu no Mori (DS)
おいでよ動物の森
Nintendo
52 14,446 3,488,349
Final Fantasy V Advance (GBA)

Square Enix
6 12,579 217,323
Ridge Racer 7 (PS3)
リッジレーサー7
Namco Bandai
2 12,435 38,983

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

yea but 3 of the 3DS launch titles sold out and the PSP has a far larger install base, PS2 and DS games outsold PS3 launch titles at launch as well.

and yes I know you were being sarcastic.

[...]

Yes, I wanted to be naughty...   

HW launch titles are quite a dilemma, SW devs and publishers know good ones are needed to start increasing the HW base, but at the same time they'd like to launch their strongest titles when the HW base is larger... But honestly, I expected at least a 1:1 first week tie ratio, given the hype. First data available show a strong second week for 3DS HW anyway, maybe some people are just happy to get it as soon as they can, given the possible shortages, and maybe to play DS titles on it and fiddle with the secondary functions waiting for the native 3DS SW library to grow before choosing.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!