By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Yes 130 47.62%

No 94 34.43%

GIVE DEM A CHANCE! 40 14.65%

Not an FPS so I don't care :-) 9 3.30%

Total:273
mibuokami said:

Every numbered Final Fantasy is an entirely new game, set in a entirely different world with a different plot, different characters, different battle system and different game mechanic. There is a few thematic elements tying the franchise together and that's about it.

How the hell does a series like that burn out??? If I rename Final Fantasy VIII 'Romancing Saga', or Final Fantasy X 'Back to the Future', will it make a damn difference other than the powerful brand recognition attached to the franchise and its massive selling power? Change a few thematic elements that patronise the series and you have an entirely new RPG each time, they are NOT sequals FFS.

Treat each  numbered Final Fantasy as its own game and judge it on its own merit. The franchise is not sequal driven, it re-imagine itself every time. Some are just not as good as others but certainly not everyone thinks VII was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy. I personally have a mark preference for VIII.

Awesome post, unfortunately most of the haters just will never Liston. 

Japanese Pop Culture Otaku

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
Conegamer said:
oniyide said:

@conegamer im sorry but ima gonna have to stop you right there. If anyone honestly believes that the Final Fantasy games would do better on the Ninty consoles is deluded. Nintendo didnt have anything to do with the development of past FF games so i dont see how a move would help the series. IMO it just sounds like some Ninty fans who are still sour that Square moved shop to Sony all those years ago (that was the biggest defect ive seen in gaming) you guys have the crystal chronicles and their not that bad.

I never said that. But, looking at the hot 1st week sales for TLS, and pretty nice Xenoblade sales, I think they should at least make it multiplatform on the Wii-it's the biggest install base after all!

Making it for the Wii, and then multiplatform, would cut down on the budget (even if the HD versions had enhanced graphics), thus allowing for the content they didn't have the resources to make (as in not even the parts that were deleted, I mean not made at all).

Perhaps it would, but surely the potential profit from making the game outweighs any possible issues?

Just like COD on Wii-it may only (I say only lightly) sell 1-1.5million, but the amount it cost to make it means they'll make a profit, so it's worth it

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

hikaruchan said:
mibuokami said:

Every numbered Final Fantasy is an entirely new game, set in a entirely different world with a different plot, different characters, different battle system and different game mechanic. There is a few thematic elements tying the franchise together and that's about it.

How the hell does a series like that burn out??? If I rename Final Fantasy VIII 'Romancing Saga', or Final Fantasy X 'Back to the Future', will it make a damn difference other than the powerful brand recognition attached to the franchise and its massive selling power? Change a few thematic elements that patronise the series and you have an entirely new RPG each time, they are NOT sequals FFS.

Treat each  numbered Final Fantasy as its own game and judge it on its own merit. The franchise is not sequal driven, it re-imagine itself every time. Some are just not as good as others but certainly not everyone thinks VII was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy. I personally have a mark preference for VIII.

Awesome post, unfortunately most of the haters just will never Liston. 

I don't see why you have to be a hater to just say some of the newer ideas, the newer worlds, aren't as good.

Burnt out? No. Not yet. But dwindling? Lacking the same quality? Yes, it is. You can't judge them separately when there's such great pedigree behind the series...

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

outlawauron said:
A203D said:

Its not an FPS, its not an RPG, its not even a game, its an interative movie, where you run in straight lines and fight the same enemy again and again, in the same scripted battles.

untill you come to the end of the straight line and watch a cutscene about hormonal teen melodrama, with a teenage girl who has the voice of a 45 year old women going through menopause. you then repeat this process for 60 hours.

lets just see how many people buy the sequel of the teenage girl going through menopause,

cos not as many people bought FF10-2 as they bought FF10, i willing to bet a lot of people do the same with FF13-2. only FF10 was actully popular in comparasion to FF13.

The Last Story proves FF should have never turned into this.

Surely, this can't be serious. Did you vote MGS4 as Best Picture 2008 as well?

Deadly serious. i have no interest in MGS4. no comment.

like i've said on other threads prior to this, the man in charge of Square's production team 1 is Kitase, hes came to the series with aspirations of becoming a film director from previously graduating in cinematography. because of his background FF13 is focused on telling the story purely through cinematic cutscenes. 6 hours to be precise.

FF13 spent so long in development because of the the Crystal Tools game engine, which is designed primarily for cutscenes and for seamless transitions into cutscenes. a problem which SE have remedied by scrapping Crystal Tools and creating Luminous to create games that focus on gameplay not cutscenes. Crystal Tools, i believe will be scrapped.

my problem is that in FF13, you watch a cutscene, you run foward into an enemy. you fight the enemy. you then run in a straight line to face that same enemy 9 or 10 times before you reach the end of the straight line and are "rewarded" with a cutscene. after you watch the cutscene, you repeat the whole thing for about 60 hours.

as an RPG its an abomination. and its a disgrace to the name on the cover. like i mentioned before. if Sakaguchi had not left Sqaure, i think we would have got something similar to The Last Story, where he shows he truly understands developing games.

PS. it dosent help that the characters (excluding Sahz) are each a hormonal mess, with very poor dialogue and equally poor script writing. making FF13 very unlikeable and unbelieveable compared to games like Dragon Quest 8 or FF12. this game was so bad i feel asleep during Lake Bresha. the sales of FF13-2 will show a lot of people how poor this is.

mibuokami said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Just because everything is different doesn't mean bad things are avoided. Plus if they all have a common element that's bad, it would drage them all down.

Not claiming that's happened yet, just answering that it can happen.

But the common element is generally trivial at best, we're talking about the usage of name like chocobo and sid and the presence of some famous monsters. The concept of summon gets reinvented in each game, the use of magic, the use of skills, the 'class' of each character, heck even the way character levels change. The 'bad' things that could kill a game (plot, gameplay, characterisation) is never a persistent element in any FF hence why nothing bad could ever become a staple.

Jim actually mentioned a common element of always pushing graphics, which increases the cost and development time, which we have seen with both XIII and VsXIII. Keep that up and even the sales of the series won't be profitable.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
A203D said:
outlawauron said:
A203D said:

Its not an FPS, its not an RPG, its not even a game, its an interative movie, where you run in straight lines and fight the same enemy again and again, in the same scripted battles.

untill you come to the end of the straight line and watch a cutscene about hormonal teen melodrama, with a teenage girl who has the voice of a 45 year old women going through menopause. you then repeat this process for 60 hours.

lets just see how many people buy the sequel of the teenage girl going through menopause,

cos not as many people bought FF10-2 as they bought FF10, i willing to bet a lot of people do the same with FF13-2. only FF10 was actully popular in comparasion to FF13.

The Last Story proves FF should have never turned into this.

Surely, this can't be serious. Did you vote MGS4 as Best Picture 2008 as well?

Deadly serious. i have no interest in MGS4. no comment.

like i've said on other threads prior to this, the man in charge of Square's production team 1 is Kitase, hes came to the series with aspirations of becoming a film director from previously graduating in cinematography. because of his background FF13 is focused on telling the story purely through cinematic cutscenes. 6 hours to be precise.

FF13 spent so long in development because of the the Crystal Tools game engine, which is designed primarily for cutscenes and for seamless transitions into cutscenes. a problem which SE have remedied by scrapping Crystal Tools and creating Luminous to create games that focus on gameplay not cutscenes. Crystal Tools, i believe will be scrapped.

my problem is that in FF13, you watch a cutscene, you run foward into an enemy. you fight the enemy. you then run in a straight line to face that same enemy 9 or 10 times before you reach the end of the straight line and are "rewarded" with a cutscene. after you watch the cutscene, you repeat the whole thing for about 60 hours.

as an RPG its an abomination. and its a disgrace to the name on the cover. like i mentioned before. if Sakaguchi had not left Sqaure, i think we would have got something similar to The Last Story, where he shows he truly understands developing games.

PS. it dosent help that the characters (excluding Sahz) are each a hormonal mess, with very poor dialogue and equally poor script writing. making FF13 very unlikeable and unbelieveable compared to games like Dragon Quest 8 or FF12. this game was so bad i feel asleep during Lake Bresha. the sales of FF13-2 will show a lot of people how poor this is.

Well, I find it extremly hurmous that you (or anyone else for that matter) think this way, but to each his own. I essentially disagree with everything you've said.

I love Sakaguchi but the internet is starting to give me jaded feelings. Vastly overrated is coming to mind more than ever.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

Well, I find it extremly hurmous that you (or anyone else for that matter) think this way, but to each his own. I essentially disagree with everything you've said.

I love Sakaguchi but the internet is starting to give me jaded feelings. Vastly overrated is coming to mind more than ever.

Well, i doubt you'll find it humourous that FF13-2 is being made in response to the 'opinions' of FF13. they're going to make changes that make it a very different game, so what you find humourous is also ironic because FF13-2 is not going to be anything like FF13. so you'll probabily going to hate it.

so it seems the developers dont agree with fans who liked FF13, and are now listening to the widespread criticisims of FF13 to save the FNC. they even had to change FF13 in Agito into Type-0 so the disdain of FF13 would be assiocated with Type-0 as little as possible.

i find that very humourous.

i also find it humourous that i'm not buying FF13-2 and i doubt many of those 6mil who bought FF13 are either.

have fun playing as the hormonal tweenage girl exchanging sexual inuendo with the new Seymore of the series and going through a menopause every cutscene. lets hope they make the dungeons nice and straight so you can run as quickly as possible to the next hormonal breakdown, and lets hope the story is abysmal and has as many cliches as possible - because we didnt have enough of that last time, lol. 

and sorry, but i dont accept that Sakaguchi wouldve have ever allowed the series to turn into this pre-teen trash.

I wouldn't say it's burnt out but I'm giving up on the main series, I'll give versus a chance and any handheld games but I'm done with the main series I don't think their next final fantasies are going to sell as much, so many people were holding out hope and gave FF13 a chance, and I suspect thats where alot of the sales came from, and atleast half of them were disappointed

Jeez, is this thread still going on? Someone just post sales figures for the main FF titles and be done with it. There may be debate as to whether the series has gone stale or not, but it has definitely not burnt out. Not until a main FF sells under 500k can it be more resolutely declared "Burnt out".

@A203D,

Sadly, people like the whole emo-drama crap. It actually started with FF8 when Sakaguchi was still there, but granted, he wasn't directly involved with the project. Unfortunately, the emo-drama stuff is here to stay, and is the one thing that's really pushing me away from FF games in general. I don't mind faulty combat (so long as it's still at least kind of fun, like FF13) or weak stories/characters, just keep all this soap-opera style drama away. FF games can still be an enjoyable experience to me, even when flawed, so long as the pre-teen emo-angsty-soap opera drama is no where in sight.

r505Matt said:

Jeez, is this thread still going on? Someone just post sales figures for the main FF titles and be done with it. There may be debate as to whether the series has gone stale or not, but it has definitely not burnt out. Not until a main FF sells under 500k can it be more resolutely declared "Burnt out".

@A203D,

Sadly, people like the whole emo-drama crap. It actually started with FF8 when Sakaguchi was still there, but granted, he wasn't directly involved with the project. Unfortunately, the emo-drama stuff is here to stay, and is the one thing that's really pushing me away from FF games in general. I don't mind faulty combat (so long as it's still at least kind of fun, like FF13) or weak stories/characters, just keep all this soap-opera style drama away. FF games can still be an enjoyable experience to me, even when flawed, so long as the pre-teen emo-angsty-soap opera drama is no where in sight.

You didn't read the OP, as it's not about sales.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs