By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Yes 130 47.62%

No 94 34.43%

GIVE DEM A CHANCE! 40 14.65%

Not an FPS so I don't care :-) 9 3.30%

Total:273

@conegamer im sorry but ima gonna have to stop you right there. If anyone honestly believes that the Final Fantasy games would do better on the Ninty consoles is deluded. Nintendo didnt have anything to do with the development of past FF games so i dont see how a move would help the series. IMO it just sounds like some Ninty fans who are still sour that Square moved shop to Sony all those years ago (that was the biggest defect ive seen in gaming) you guys have the crystal chronicles and their not that bad.

@dunno I agree with almost everything you said but I think your giving 12 too much credit. there was nothing really original about that game. Last I checked it was part of the IValice alliance which took place in the same world as FF tactics. Balthier appeared in War of the lions

Around the Network

@A203D  oh they know about it, wasnt one of them crying about a low review it got and said something along the lines of some people not "getting it" they know they did a half ass job and anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves

A203D said:
Carl2291 said:
A203D said:

According to the developers FF13 isnt an RPG at all but a new type of game althogether, inspired by Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.

this is why FF13 is an abysmal RPG and a disgrace to what Sakaguhci created all those years ago.

FF13-2 sales will prove this.

Okay I'm sorry. Final Fantasy XIII is an FPS. I'm wrong.

Its not an FPS, its not an RPG, its not even a game, its an interative movie, where you run in straight lines and fight the same enemy again and again, in the same scripted battles.

untill you come to the end of the straight line and watch a cutscene about hormonal teen melodrama, with a teenage girl who has the voice of a 45 year old women going through menopause. you then repeat this process for 60 hours.

lets just see how many people buy the sequel of the teenage girl going through menopause,

cos not as many people bought FF10-2 as they bought FF10, i willing to bet a lot of people do the same with FF13-2. only FF10 was actully popular in comparasion to FF13.

The Last Story proves FF should have never turned into this.

Surely, this can't be serious. Did you vote MGS4 as Best Picture 2008 as well?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

snyperdud said:
Conegamer said:
snyperdud said:

I agree that Square is handling the franchise poorly as of late, but, the franchise is far from being burnt out. However, if Square continues down the path overly long dev- cycles with disappointing results, Final Fantasy may be heading for trouble in the future.

If this thread has reached any form of conclusion, it's that I suppose that this year is pivotal for FF then eh?

If they release quality games, all is well. 

If the games are lackluster, they're d00med.

The next 12 months should be interesting...

@RolStoppable: THERE IS EVERY NEED!

This year will be extremely important. To be honest, I'm very curious to see how Final Fantasy XIII-2 sells. I believe that game's sales may be a good indicator to see just how bad the FF name has been tarnished.

I personally expect 1-2mil LT, depending on advertising. If it does more, it'll be a success. Less, and, well, do we need to go into that?

@hikaruchan- he's not trolling, it's an opinion, and one I agree with. He may have said it crudely, but compared to FFX, it was worse in every conceivable way

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

oniyide said:

@conegamer im sorry but ima gonna have to stop you right there. If anyone honestly believes that the Final Fantasy games would do better on the Ninty consoles is deluded. Nintendo didnt have anything to do with the development of past FF games so i dont see how a move would help the series. IMO it just sounds like some Ninty fans who are still sour that Square moved shop to Sony all those years ago (that was the biggest defect ive seen in gaming) you guys have the crystal chronicles and their not that bad.

I never said that. But, looking at the hot 1st week sales for TLS, and pretty nice Xenoblade sales, I think they should at least make it multiplatform on the Wii-it's the biggest install base after all!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
oniyide said:

I never said that. But, looking at the hot 1st week sales for TLS, and pretty nice Xenoblade sales, I think they should at least make it multiplatform on the Wii-it's the biggest install base after all!

Making it for the Wii, and then multiplatform, would cut down on the budget (even if the HD versions had enhanced graphics), thus allowing for the content they didn't have the resources to make (as in not even the parts that were deleted, I mean not made at all).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Every numbered Final Fantasy is an entirely new game, set in a entirely different world with a different plot, different characters, different battle system and different game mechanic. There is a few thematic elements tying the franchise together and that's about it.

How the hell does a series like that burn out??? If I rename Final Fantasy VIII 'Romancing Saga', or Final Fantasy X 'Back to the Future', will it make a damn difference other than the powerful brand recognition attached to the franchise and its massive selling power? Change a few thematic elements that patronise the series and you have an entirely new RPG each time, they are NOT sequals FFS.

Treat each  numbered Final Fantasy as its own game and judge it on its own merit. The franchise is not sequal driven, it re-imagine itself every time. Some are just not as good as others but certainly not everyone thinks VII was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy. I personally have a mark preference for VIII.

-double post- snip

mibuokami said:

Every numbered Final Fantasy is an entirely new game, set in a entirely different world with a different plot, different characters, different battle system and different game mechanic. There is a few thematic elements tying the franchise together and that's about it.

How the hell does a series like that burn out??? If I rename Final Fantasy VIII 'Romancing Saga', or Final Fantasy X 'Back to the Future', will it make a damn difference other than the powerful brand recognition attached to the franchise and its massive selling power? Change a few thematic elements that patronise the series and you have an entirely new RPG each time, they are NOT sequals FFS.

Treat each  numbered Final Fantasy as its own game and judge it on its own merit. The franchise is not sequal driven, it re-imagine itself every time. Some are just not as good as others but certainly not everyone thinks VII was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy. I personally have a mark preference for VIII.

Just because everything is different doesn't mean bad things are avoided. Plus if they all have a common element that's bad, it would drage them all down.

Not claiming that's happened yet, just answering that it can happen.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Just because everything is different doesn't mean bad things are avoided. Plus if they all have a common element that's bad, it would drage them all down.

Not claiming that's happened yet, just answering that it can happen.

But the common element is generally trivial at best, we're talking about the usage of name like chocobo and sid and the presence of some famous monsters. The concept of summon gets reinvented in each game, the use of magic, the use of skills, the 'class' of each character, heck even the way character levels change. The 'bad' things that could kill a game (plot, gameplay, characterisation) is never a persistent element in any FF hence why nothing bad could ever become a staple.