By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Final Fantasy: Officialy burnt out?

Yes 130 47.62%

No 94 34.43%

GIVE DEM A CHANCE! 40 14.65%

Not an FPS so I don't care :-) 9 3.30%

Total:273

Milking something in our current discussion means to release cheaply made sub-par product relying solely on the trademark to earn profit.

Whats going on with the final fantasy serie right now is not that. The game they are releasing are quality game in which they invest time and money. Let alone their bad management with FFXIV, they arent exploiting their customer by releasing cheap or sub-par product with the final fantasy name on it. Final fantasy XIII is longer and look better then most jRPG. As far as we know, the same can be said of type-0, FFXIII-2 and FFvXIII. The fact a minority or majority dislike their type of game, or specifically one game, doesnt make them milking out their customer.

Around the Network

No cuss versus 13 is not out yet.

@conegamer  install base on WIi dont mean crap and you know it. If it did then every multiplat Wii game would do at least as well as the HDs and for the most part they do much worst. Spider-man, Force Unleashed 2, COD they all do much better on the HDs than Wii, the only games ive seen that do better on Wii are your family friendly games, your Toy storys, Legos, SOnic, game nights etc

Icyedge said:

Milking something in our current discussion means to release cheaply made sub-par product relying solely on the trademark to earn profit.

Whats going on with the final fantasy serie right now is not that. The game they are releasing are quality game in which they invest time and money. Let alone their bad management with FFXIV, they arent exploiting their customer by releasing cheap or sub-par product with the final fantasy name on it. Final fantasy XIII is longer and look better then most jRPG. As far as we know, the same can be said of type-0, FFXIII-2 and FFvXIII. The fact a minority or majority dislike their type of game, or specifically one game, doesnt make them milking out their customer.

Well if not miking, then relying, as the name is used on games that could just as easily have different names, even beyond the usual main series being unrelated.

And just making effort isn't good in and of itself, when the effort is often on things that raise the cost more than needed, and/or come at the expense of effort on things that actuall help a game (the graphics of XIII at the expense of content).

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

LordTheNightKnight said:
Icyedge said:

Well if not miking, then relying, as the name is used on games that could just as easily have different names, even beyond the usual main series being unrelated.

And just making effort isn't good in and of itself, when the effort is often on things that raise the cost more than needed, and/or come at the expense of effort on things that actuall help a game (the graphics of XIII at the expense of content).

I agree with relying, sure. Anyway, its natural for companies to relay on their popular existing franchise to sustain their company. Beside, its not like Square is only developing FF titles.

About the graphic VS content. I dont think its the actual problem. Even with those graphics, there is still a lot of content to be find in FFXIII. By a lot I mean more then the average. Surely less then some other FF titles, I dong argue with that, but thats not the point. The game wasnt unpolished or unfinished, or short by any mean. It was a good 40 hours without doing side quests (my save game is at 70 hours). It simply didnt please all players by not allowing more freedom early on.

In any case, all their future FF title seems to have exploration early on plus lots of content, maybe even more then FFXIII. FFXIII also remain one of the better reviewed jRPG of the past years. All in all, I really fail to see the problem with the final fantasy branding. All developers are bound to make games that will not please all their fans sooner or later. Personally I disliked FFXII a lot... they redeem themselves with FFXIII :P.

Around the Network
A203D said:
outlawauron said:

Well, I find it extremly hurmous that you (or anyone else for that matter) think this way, but to each his own. I essentially disagree with everything you've said.

I love Sakaguchi but the internet is starting to give me jaded feelings. Vastly overrated is coming to mind more than ever.

Well, i doubt you'll find it humourous that FF13-2 is being made in response to the 'opinions' of FF13. they're going to make changes that make it a very different game, so what you find humourous is also ironic because FF13-2 is not going to be anything like FF13. so you'll probabily going to hate it.

so it seems the developers dont agree with fans who liked FF13, and are now listening to the widespread criticisims of FF13 to save the FNC. they even had to change FF13 in Agito into Type-0 so the disdain of FF13 would be assiocated with Type-0 as little as possible.

i find that very humourous.

i also find it humourous that i'm not buying FF13-2 and i doubt many of those 6mil who bought FF13 are either.

have fun playing as the hormonal tweenage girl exchanging sexual inuendo with the new Seymore of the series and going through a menopause every cutscene. lets hope they make the dungeons nice and straight so you can run as quickly as possible to the next hormonal breakdown, and lets hope the story is abysmal and has as many cliches as possible - because we didnt have enough of that last time, lol. 

and sorry, but i dont accept that Sakaguchi wouldve have ever allowed the series to turn into this pre-teen trash.

Final Fantasy X-2 was nothing like it's prequel. Final Fantasy changes with every iteration, why in the world would this one be different?

I highly doubt I'll hate Final Fantay XIII-2 as I love nearly every single one in the series.

Outside of your completely baseless claims about Type-0 and your claim about that the developers hated the original. It's also extremely stupid for them not to listen to criticism of their games to try and perfect them. I'd be surprised if any developer didn't do the same!

I'm not going to go and argue about subjective things with someone who is damn well determinded to hate it. Your thoughts on earlier game's story pretty much confirms it as XIII is no more 'pre-teen trash' than any other games in the series.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

LordTheNightKnight said:
r505Matt said:

Jeez, is this thread still going on? Someone just post sales figures for the main FF titles and be done with it. There may be debate as to whether the series has gone stale or not, but it has definitely not burnt out. Not until a main FF sells under 500k can it be more resolutely declared "Burnt out".

@A203D,

Sadly, people like the whole emo-drama crap. It actually started with FF8 when Sakaguchi was still there, but granted, he wasn't directly involved with the project. Unfortunately, the emo-drama stuff is here to stay, and is the one thing that's really pushing me away from FF games in general. I don't mind faulty combat (so long as it's still at least kind of fun, like FF13) or weak stories/characters, just keep all this soap-opera style drama away. FF games can still be an enjoyable experience to me, even when flawed, so long as the pre-teen emo-angsty-soap opera drama is no where in sight.

You didn't read the OP, as it's not about sales.

Sure I did, I think the issue here is that people are disagreeing about what 'burnt out' means. If the most recent legimate iteration of a game series has sold 6 million copies (FF14 really doesn't count in this case), how can anyone justify that as 'burnt out'? Thus I have said some may argue as to whether it is stale or not, but sales are a great indication of how a game series is received by the public. No one can reasonably claim the series is burnt out until FF13-2 or FF15 fails to reach even a moderate level of success.

Without something quantitative like sales, one can only subjectively judge if a series is burning out (more on that in a bit too). And don't get me wrong, I do feel that the FF series is burning out, but to be burnt-out means 'to be worn out or exhausted'.That is not the case just yet.

With FF13 having sold 6 millon copies, it is rash and irresponsible to judge that the series is worn out. Again, argue all you want about whether the series has gone stale, or you just don't like the direction the series is headed. These are subjective things, and by nature neither side can right or wrong. But a term such as 'burnt out' is actually quite objective. Applying subjective feelings and thoughts to an objective concept is wrong, at least when there are quantitative observations to support an objective approach.

That all said, the point in the Destructoid article are all quite valid, but they don't point in any objective or meaninful way that FF is burnt out. Burning out maybe, but NOT burnt out. There is a big difference. If the FF series was burnt out, there wouldn't be 3 FF games in development, there would be 0.

Besides, the OP says nothing about sales anyways, did you read the OP?

LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
mibuokami said:

Every numbered Final Fantasy is an entirely new game, set in a entirely different world with a different plot, different characters, different battle system and different game mechanic. There is a few thematic elements tying the franchise together and that's about it.

How the hell does a series like that burn out??? If I rename Final Fantasy VIII 'Romancing Saga', or Final Fantasy X 'Back to the Future', will it make a damn difference other than the powerful brand recognition attached to the franchise and its massive selling power? Change a few thematic elements that patronise the series and you have an entirely new RPG each time, they are NOT sequals FFS.

Treat each  numbered Final Fantasy as its own game and judge it on its own merit. The franchise is not sequal driven, it re-imagine itself every time. Some are just not as good as others but certainly not everyone thinks VII was the pinnacle of Final Fantasy. I personally have a mark preference for VIII.

Just because everything is different doesn't mean bad things are avoided. Plus if they all have a common element that's bad, it would drage them all down.

Not claiming that's happened yet, just answering that it can happen.

But the common element is generally trivial at best, we're talking about the usage of name like chocobo and sid and the presence of some famous monsters. The concept of summon gets reinvented in each game, the use of magic, the use of skills, the 'class' of each character, heck even the way character levels change. The 'bad' things that could kill a game (plot, gameplay, characterisation) is never a persistent element in any FF hence why nothing bad could ever become a staple.

Jim actually mentioned a common element of always pushing graphics, which increases the cost and development time, which we have seen with both XIII and VsXIII. Keep that up and even the sales of the series won't be profitable.

This is a common element is almost all games and beside that is not topically related to the OP. He is talking about quality and not profitability.

mibuokami said:

This is a common element is almost all games and beside that is not topically related to the OP. He is talking about quality and not profitability.

If you read the Jim Sterling article in the OP, you would know that he meant that graphics were the only thing being pushed in the series, and that is a problem.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

DarkintheLight said:

I wouldn't say it's burnt out but I'm giving up on the main series, I'll give versus a chance and any handheld games but I'm done with the main series I don't think their next final fantasies are going to sell as much, so many people were holding out hope and gave FF13 a chance, and I suspect thats where alot of the sales came from, and atleast half of them were disappointed

Possibly, and probably. I know that I no longer care anywhere near as much about Final Fantasy as I did before 13...

Also, Lord is right. Jim's main issue is the lack of gameplay in these games, and if you've either played the game, read his review and/or even read the article, you'd see that this is the case. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.