By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
stopstopp said:
Michael-5 said:
stopstopp said:
AussieGecko said:
yo_john117 said:

So the 360 got adjusted down by 1.8 million?!? O_O

went a lot back up, VG chartz pre-empted wrong it appears mostly.

This has happened to the 360 this holiday what 3 times now?

This is why you should take VGC data with a grain of salt. PS3 was adjusted up 3 times last August-September alone, and some were big, 2 million in one case. Early 2010, they reported PS3 surpassing EMEAA sales in mind the gaps, and 360 was catching up. It was 45k behind in EMEAA total until the adjustment last August.

Yeah really, it was adjusted down below 50 million then right back up to previous numbers (or near it) the next day.
I was like lolwat?

A lot of VGC systems are automated so when they get new data, they just put it in, and see what happens. So although the system is efficient, it's prone to problems. Generally VGC is accurate to within 2 million, which isn't much since Sony and MS make press conferences every quarter stating sales figures..

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:

Michael-5 said:

Very very few titles sell 5 million units after the first couple months. Looking at Gran Turismo 4, it was the best selling game for 10 weeks after it's EMEAA release, and then held second for the next five, third for one week, and then back to first. This game stayed in the top 10 for 24 weeks before it finally dropped out.

How can you except GT5 to sell the same, when it's nowhere near the best selling weekly title, and it's sales are plummeting after holiday release?

Being in the top 10 for over a month is hard, only a few games ever do this. However these are the games with strong legs, that sell 10 million or more units. Halo, Call of Duty, older GT's, GTA's they all do it, but GT5 doesn't.

I have adaquate reasoning to beleive GT5 will sell within my predicted range of 8.5-9.4 million lifetime. Stop hassling me on it now, your not going to change my opinion, especially when you can't back up your side. You need to respect other peoples views, especially when they are different then your own.

You aren't being "hassled" at all, but called out for your inconsistencies. It puts things in perspective when debating with you (as you've been in similar situations before). And I know you know little of me, I respect people's views quite well, but you are, again, crying foul like a helpless victim. Learn to debate without always taking it so personal.

To the topic: Halo: Reach wasn't in the Top 10 longer than GT5, (but that's truly irrelevant because GT can't be compared with Call of Duty or Halo in sales trends). As for GT4, please show me the data proving it stayed in the Top 10 for 24 weeks. It may have stayed longer than GT5, though again that will probably mean very little in the long run, but I don't think it was 24 weeks.

To end off, I don't want to change your opinion, or make you feel "hassled/insulted" or whatever, but there are things you said before that you aren't being up front with now, and I just find that inconsistent.

Your just rude. "crying foul like a helpless victim." I mean common, and you say that you respect other peoples opinions? My views aren't inconsistant, you just like to agrue, and you want to change my opinion because it's different then yours and I stand on a pile of supporting evidence for my opinion.

I nevber said Halo: Reach was in the top 10 longer then GT5. Your putting words in my mouth.

and GT can be compared with CoD and Halo sales. I'm ignoreing week 1 because we want to know which game will have stronger legs, and GT isn't really selling that much better then Assassin's Creed.

The data for GT4? Your on VGChartz! Go look up the worldwide weekly sales yourself!

Enough said, I'm not getting into a debate with you about this, you know my opinion about the game, and I know yours. My points are not inconsistant, you've mentioned that multiple times and failed to site where, your just adding fuel to a useless debate. Lets leave it at that.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

The data for GT4? Your on VGChartz! Go look up the worldwide weekly sales yourself!

When a court is in session, who's job is it to find/present evidence to a claim? The Defense Attorney's job is to defend the claim. The Prosecution (the side making the claim) is responsible for evidence.

In other words, I didn't make the claim about GT4, you did sir. Therefore, as in a court case, absent evidence means one of two things - you can't provide it or it doesn't exist.

I could have tackled the rest of that post, but it truly is you, again, thinking somebody is looking to insult you. There are things you said though that can be debated, such as: "being in the top 10 for over a month is hard, only a few games ever do this. However these are the games with strong legs, that sell 10 million or more units. Halo, Call of Duty, older GT's, GTA's they all do it, but GT5 doesn't". One of several problems there - you are, again, making claims with nothing solid. Show me past GTs that were in the Top 10 for 24 weeks, or much longer than GT5. How do you know GT5 won't have strong legs? All claims that are mere speculation, all, nothing more. 

As for being rude, you seem to have a hard time dealing with being called out, or being asked to back up your words. You have been inconsistent in some areas here, but instead of getting so defensive each time I quote you, you could reasonably address it, as I have with you.

Being called out is different from name calling. You can questions someones opinion without insult. You don't seem to understand the difference, and I can't explain it any better over texts.

As for GT4 staying in the top 10. Your on VGCharts. Look up worldwide weekly sales between February 26th, and August 13th 2005. You will see August 13th is the first week the game dropped out of the top 10, and up until May the game held within the top 3 positions, only to come second when a new game launched. GT4 was released August 22nd 2005 in Americas.

None of this court stuff, your not a kid, the tabs are right at the top of your screen, and your on the website which holds the facts.

My claim is solid, are you now calling VGC data false? Please, just stop hassling me, I'm asking you politly.

It's my opinion GT5 won't have stong legs. For all we know Polyphony may decide to massivly bundle the game like they did GT3 in the west. If that happens then for sure this game will break 10 million, and I will be wrong, at least on total sum. Opinion, speculation, is there really a difference? Is anyone here 100% right on future sales predictions? If they were, why aren't they professional analysts? Stop hassling me just because I disagree with you, and can back myself up. You can't always win you know.

CGI-Quality said:
Michael-5 said:

Being called out is different from name calling. You can questions someones opinion without insult. You don't seem to understand the difference, and I can't explain it any better over texts.

As for GT4 staying in the top 10. Your on VGCharts. Look up worldwide weekly sales between February 26th, and August 13th 2005. You will see August 13th is the first week the game dropped out of the top 10, and up until May the game held within the top 3 positions, only to come second when a new game launched. GT4 was released August 22nd 2005 in Americas.

None of this court stuff, your not a kid, the tabs are right at the top of your screen, and your on the website which holds the facts.

My claim is solid, are you now calling VGC data false? Please, just stop hassling me, I'm asking you politly.

Michael, you weren't called any names, so you can drop that charade.

As for the info, I can't say it any nicer, I'm not in the position to prove your claims, you are. If you can't provide/find what you're claiming, I'm inclined to believe it doesn't exist. It's that simple.

Edit: I went ahead and took the liberty to see if your claims of GT4 were correct, and in fact, you are. Out of the first 37-43 weeks of data we have for GT4, aligning the launches, it was in the Top Ten 32-38 times. In GT5's defense, it didn't have those different launch weeks like that, and launched during the holidays (a time when games are far more front-loaded, off shooting the chances of hitting the Top 10 as, unlike being spread about throught earlier months of the year).

Regardless, I give my apologies in regard to that particular case, but I stand by assessment that GT5 could be in it for the long haul, and eventually cross 10 million. By GT4's 38th week, it had sold 6,031,570. GT5 is currently at 5,393,582 after 9 weeks. Guess we'll need to keep an eye on both, but I'm willing to bet GT5 will be ahead of 6 million before 38 weeks.

Well you only said "crying foul like a helpless victim" which isn't exactly name calling, I used the wrong term here, but you try to paint a picture of me as being someone who is oblivious to facts or just plain dumb, and you often use wording that isn't really appropriate, in order to paint me as a fool. In the past you have been far more insulting, in this thread not so bad, but I still don't like it when you try to make me look bad instead of debate a topic to try to win your point. Thats my problem, calling me out is fine, but do you need to be so derogatory?

As for my claim, I don't understand what "proof" you are looking for. Do I have to provide exact links or something? I referenced my data, you can easilly click two tabs up top and see.

You just said it yourself, "In GT5's defense, it didn't have those different launch weeks like that, and launched during the holidays (a time when games are far more front-loaded, off shooting the chances of hitting the Top 10 as, unlike being spread about throught earlier months of the year)." If GT5's sales are more front loaded due to the holidays (as am I trying to show you), only just matching GT4 sales for the first few weeks, dropping to below GT4 weekly sales, it's a reasonable thing to beleive it won't sell as well in the long run (aka, have weaker legs).

Thats my point, you don't have to agree, but you seem to understand the logic. Only time will tell, GT is a harder franchise to predict then say Call of Duty. GT5 could break 10 million, I don't think it will, but you never know. GT5 is only 200k above GT4 and I blaime the holidays for that. GT4 sold 137k on week 7, 121k on week 8, 103k on week 9, and 92k week 10. GT5 sold 146k on week 7, 97k on week 8, 74k on week 9.

GT5 is dropping weekly sales a lot faster then GT4, it may only be 600k away from 6 million, but if weekly sales drop down to 40k (which would still be strong for GT5), thats still 15 weeks away. Still it would beat GT4. Still on GT4's 20th week (from Us launch, I think ) it only sold 35k weekly, and I expect GT5's sales to be lower.

I mean reaslistically, if GT5 manages to sell 80% as well as GT4 in all future remaining weeks (something I think it won't judging that it's already selling below 80% as well and still dropping), that would mean that GT5 only gells 4.32 million units from this point on. 5.4 4.3 = 9.7 million. So either way, we know it will be close. 9.7 is more then I predict because I don't think GT5 will sell 80% as well as GT4 in the next few weeks, but thats my beleif.

Anyway, glad we settled that. I think GT5 will have weaker legs then GT4, and with good reasoning, thus my prediction seems balid for me (8.5-9.4 million). You predicted 10 million exactly if I recall corrrectly, and we only differed in our EMEAA figures, so who knows. Maybe it will get 9.7 million and we can call it a draw.

CGI-Quality said:

@ Michael: If we get real technical, there were 78-82 million PS2's in the world when GT4 launched. GT5 launched on a fanbase of 42 million PS3s, and to the tune of just 216K units less than GT4. I knew the fan base difference would have little impact on initial sales and I think the weekly differences won't have as much impact either (because GT5 may have been in the Top 10 much more had it launched outside of a holiday period, but we can't do much more than strictly speculate there).

Besides, I never argued that GT5 would pass GT4, I don't think it will, but I do think it'll reach 10 million in the end.

You and I both know install base is meaningless. Even if you ignore the fact that GT3 was bundled, it would have still sold close to 10 million units, and when it was released weren't their only 20 million or so PS2's?

As for opening week sales, 200k is not that different, but GT4 did that in February/March where GT5 had November. Probably wouldn't make a big difference on some medium sized games (like LBP), but do you think Halo or CoD would open to 4-5 million per console had they released in February? It's a different type of game, but still I think early GT5 numbers are inflated, especially weeks 2-8 because they are released during the holiday. Had this game come out in February I would expect initial sales to be 500k - 1 million less, which is enough to have the game match my predicted sales.

I know your prediction for GT5, it's not that different then mine 9.4 versus 10 million? I think the real arguement is will it be a 10 million seller?

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:

I know your prediction for GT5, it's not that different then mine 9.4 versus 10 million? I think the real arguement is will it be a 10 million seller?

It will be... 10 million for me is almost certain with these inital sales.

ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:

With these initial sales it's more likely it won't make 10 million. On a weekly basis it's underperforming GT4. Last week GT5 only sold 66% as well as GT4, and in the long run GT4 just crossed 10 million. Yes GT5 did benefit from the holidays and did outpace GT4 for a little bit at the start, but now that the holigay is over GT5 is crashing.

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:

With these initial sales it's more likely it won't make 10 million. On a weekly basis it's underperforming GT4. Last week GT5 only sold 66% as well as GT4, and in the long run GT4 just crossed 10 million. Yes GT5 did benefit from the holidays and did outpace GT4 for a little bit at the start, but now that the holigay is over GT5 is crashing.

Just some weeks performing below GT4... GT4 will begun to sell sub 30k soon and GT5 not.

GT5 will sell more than 10 million lifetime.

ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:

Just some weeks performing below GT4... GT4 will begun to sell sub 30k soon and GT5 not.

You have to follow the trend GT5 is setting. Yes GT5 outsold GT4 by about 200k in the first 8 weeks, but GT5 was launched in the holidays. A game like GT4 peaked week 1 then very slowly went down in sales since it was released in February. GT5 peaked, leveled pretty high during the holidays, and now sales are crashing. Of the last 3 weeks GT4 has outsold GT5 and the gap is growing. At this rate GT5 is only looking to pick up 1.5-2.5 million more sales for 2011, and after that it will probably have insignificant gains.

GT5 sales are already only at 60k weekly, and falling pretty fast. Not to mention in a couple months all game/console sales will be half of what they are now as those are dryer months in sales. So no matter what GT5 will fall sub 30k weekly sales in a couple months. GT4 on the other hand took about 25 weeks to drop sales down to 30k, and then the holidays hit and slightly GT4 sales (GT4's first holiday season).

Your free to beleive what you'd like, but I'd suggest take weekly sales and plot them in excel. You will see the trends racing games like GT4 and Forza 3 set, and you will see that without bundling, GT5 is not going to make 10 million.

Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:
ethomaz said:
Michael-5 said:

You have to follow the trend GT5 is setting. Yes GT5 outsold GT4 by about 200k in the first 8 weeks, but GT5 was launched in the holidays. A game like GT4 peaked week 1 then very slowly went down in sales since it was released in February. GT5 peaked, leveled pretty high during the holidays, and now sales are crashing. Of the last 3 weeks GT4 has outsold GT5 and the gap is growing. At this rate GT5 is only looking to pick up 1.5-2.5 million more sales for 2011, and after that it will probably have insignificant gains.

GT5 sales are already only at 60k weekly, and falling pretty fast. Not to mention in a couple months all game/console sales will be half of what they are now as those are dryer months in sales. So no matter what GT5 will fall sub 30k weekly sales in a couple months. GT4 on the other hand took about 25 weeks to drop sales down to 30k, and then the holidays hit and slightly GT4 sales (GT4's first holiday season).

Your free to beleive what you'd like, but I'd suggest take weekly sales and plot them in excel. You will see the trends racing games like GT4 and Forza 3 set, and you will see that without bundling, GT5 is not going to make 10 million.

Considering the way GT5 is stabilizing 30K is not an unheard of weekly sales for a while.