By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

mhsillen said:
radiantshadow92 said:
mhsillen said:

Has activision come out and said call of duty won't come out on 3DS?

I don't think it would be very smart with only 1 anolog stick on the handheld. Its almost a fact that most to all FPS games will be on the NPG. The Second stick makes a huge difference.

the ds has numerous FPS.  That alone does not mean it won't be on the 3DS

I think it does mean it won't come out on the 3DS. I mean unless they make a new one for it. Too add, if there would have been a COD on DS  it would have been announced already.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
draamazing said:

We Don't Know Whos Ganna Be Cheaper Yet, Though You're Probadly Going To Be Right.

PSP2 Showed Of A Straight Up Version Of Metal Gear Solid 4(Nominated For Game Of The Year 2008) & A Similar Uncharted To Uncharted 2(Game Of The Year 2009, By The Way), That's Something.  The PSP2 Has A Strong Line Up Though Small It'll Increase When It's About To Launch.

Just Because A Previous Console Destroyed The Last Gen Does Not Mean It's Going To Repeat.

EX.  Units Sold: Gamecube 20, Xbox 20, & PS2 120 (In Million)

Wii  85, 360 50, & PS3 47

The DS Had Best Selers Beacause It Was More Bang For The Buck, That's Why Everyone Got It And That's Why The DS Has More Best Sellers But Now We Just Got To Wait To See Sells More To Find Out The New Best Sellers.

Thank You For Reading This Long Ass Opinion

As for the new best sellers ... The PSP2 will require larger development teams and longer time-lines to produce exclusive games than the 3DS will; and this means that, even if developers are supporting both platforms equally, the 3DS will see far more games released to it. On top of these exclusively developed games, the 3DS will probably see ports from the Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, XBox and Wii while the PSP2 might see ports from the PS3 and XBox 360; and this works out to being far more games for the 3DS than the PSP. Now you may be asking 'Why does the quantity of games mater for million selling games?' and the answer to this is that break-out successes tend to be somewhat unpredictable; and the more games that are released the more likely it is to have a breakout success. When a platform sees the release of 2500 games it is far more likely that the next Guitar Hero or Pokemon will be created on that platform than the system that only has 250 games released.

I'm not totally sure how much we can judge about PSP2 development yet. While better graphics = more cost generally, it's worth remembering that even if 3DS games have worse graphics, the programmers have to do alot to get it running in 3D, which is more expensive. Early estimates pin 3DS developement in line with that of the Wii.

The other thing to remember is that all those studio's making PS3/360 games should already be well equiped to get games up and running on the PSP2 (Port or no Port) and the technology will hopefully be more familiar from the off (Albeit we've yet to see any interviews, minus talk of easy PS3 ports running on the thing).

I would also point out a flaw in your 3DS ports from wii / ps2 etc. It's not always that easy seeing as alot of games won't suit the input. Porting from something with motion controls to something that's supposed to use 2 screens, one a touch screen, and only 1 analogue stick isn't always viable, whereas PSP2 is designed to pretty much replicate any port button for button (With I assume L2/R2 on the back touchpad).

While 3DS development will probably be cheaper, I don't think the difference will be particually big. If PSP2 games cost more and sell more via digital services, then that cost gap could easily be negated by extra revenue per sale too - albeit we'll have to wait and see what Sony's strategy is there.

I'm not saying the PSP2 will get more games or anything but I think you've giving the 3DS too much credit and ignoring how well placed the PSP2 is to get good support - provided it can actually sell software, which I guess is going to be the biggest long-term test of the device.

3DS. It's released first, has the brand recognition, has an interesting gimmick, has the best line-up of games thus far (In my opinion) and will likely be cheaper to boot. Nintendo will also likely back the 3DS better than the PSP2, so there will be an inevitable winner IMO.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

radiantshadow92 said:
mhsillen said:
radiantshadow92 said:
mhsillen said:

I don't think it would be very smart with only 1 anolog stick on the handheld. Its almost a fact that most to all FPS games will be on the NPG. The Second stick makes a huge difference.

I think it does mean it won't come out on the 3DS. I mean unless they make a new one for it. Too add, if there would have been a COD on DS  it would have been announced already.

I think unless sony has a deal with activision not to publish COD on 3DS and if 3DS sells well it would be dumb not to release cod on 3ds. 

The 3DS has better control than did ds with analog stick.  And of course the touch screen.  

But  I definitely could be wrong

radiantshadow92 said:
mhsillen said:
radiantshadow92 said:
mhsillen said:

Oh Black ops is on the ds,  already released

Around the Network
Conegamer said:

3DS. It's released first, has the brand recognition, has an interesting gimmick, has the best line-up of games thus far (In my opinion) and will likely be cheaper to boot. Nintendo will also likely back the 3DS better than the PSP2, so there will be an inevitable winner IMO.

there is no need for IMO when comes to games.

The NGP was shown as having no games besides what COD and first party.

I like to ignore first party Nintendo and Sony since obvious those woudl come.  Nintendo got announced a crap load of games and developers.  Sony just got COD and developers.  We don't know what they are making.  casual/crap touch phone type games or full on games.  Main series games or new ip's and what not.  Ports or remakes or new.  ect.

Just saying NGP has for example Square Enix developer supporttells us nothing. 

1. Is that Kingdom Hearts 3, or FF15? 
  2. Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 HD? 
  3. Kingdom hearts spin-offs? 
  4. FF13 port or other PS3/360 games ported? or FF14 port, ect? 
  5. New games like "the World ends with you" was for DS?

As you can see it can be a bunch of things, some good, some bad.  Meanwhile if they flat out say Kingdom Hearts 3, that is what it means and can bring up excitement on forums.

irstupid said:
Conegamer said:

there is no need for IMO when comes to games.

The NGP was shown as having no games besides what COD and first party.

I like to ignore first party Nintendo and Sony since obvious those woudl come.  Nintendo got announced a crap load of games and developers.  Sony just got COD and developers.  We don't know what they are making.  casual/crap touch phone type games or full on games.  Main series games or new ip's and what not.  Ports or remakes or new.  ect.

Just saying NGP has for example Square Enix developer supporttells us nothing. 

• Is that Kingdom Hearts 3, or FF15? 
  • Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2 HD? 
  • Kingdom hearts spin-offs? 
  • FF13 port or other PS3/360 games ported? or FF14 port, ect? 
  • New games like "the World ends with you" was for DS?
  • As you can see it can be a bunch of things, some good, some bad.  Meanwhile if they flat out say Kingdom Hearts 3, that is what it means and can bring up excitement on forums.

I got a mod warning for effectively that post of mine, but without the IMO. So I'm being veery careful not to upset anyone now...

I agree with you though. You can have a developer on board, but it doesn't make you any closer to knowing anything. The only surprise was Grasshopper, the others were expected anyway

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

lol so like are people assuming that list of devs they posted who are working on games for the device will not release games or something? cuz I don't get this it doesn't have support argument, w.e makes ya feel better I guess

and another thing, saw a comment saying it will be more expensive to make games for NGP, flat our wrong, the device is very dev friendly and assets are easily interuseable between the device and other gaming devices. I suggest reading up some dev responses before spreading nonsense to such people.

revealing all the games that will come for the device this early is stupid. Not sure how the simple fact that such reveals are reserved for bigger gaming conferences such as E3,GC or TGS fail to be comprehended by some of you nay sayers. But then again, few of you have been posting the same nonsense all over the forums these few days. They will keep such reveals until those big events, they will want to keep the hype momentum going closer to launch. Not everyone has to follow the same business model or approach. and like I said, we already have a dev list which will likely to grow even more, heck we know it has a game coming for it made by Kojima, Activision and Epic. Don't worry you will see the games as the year goes, no need to show all your cards right away

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

mhsillen said:
    radiantshadow92 said:
    mhsillen said:
    radiantshadow92 said:
    mhsillen said:

Oh Black ops is on the ds,  already released

oooppps I mean't 3DS. What i am saying is that by the looks of it, the psp2 is getting its own Call of duty, while the 3DS might get same versions as the console version like in the past.

Darc Requiem said:
    Lucas-Rio said:
    Chibi.V.29 said:
    Lucas-Rio said:
    sexc_abbas said:

where does it state Sony is taking a loss for the PSP2 ?

if this is true, can someone reitarate something for me ? has/does every single manufactor loose money on new consoles ? and did Son loose money on the launch of the PS2 ? or is just in the new gen ps3/PSP2 (if what you guys are saying is true about them loosing money on the PSP2 that is... )

Sony lost money on PS2 , PSP and PS3. Microsoft lost money on Xbox and 360.

Selling the PSP2 at loss is hardly a news.

Lol PS3 is the only one they sold at a loss :P 

Not at all. All these consoles were sold at loss.

Sony didn't start profiting from PS2 hardware until it's 3rd year on the market. They sold the system a huge loss the first two years because they didn't want to risk the Dreamcast gaining a foothold.

That's quite the nonsense you wrote there :)