By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

irstupid said:

Lets just look at reception

I think we can all agree that the forums and gaming websites everywhere were going much more bonkers and crazy when the 3DS was unvealed at E3, compared to the NGP shown today.

While yes that was at E3 so more people paying attention, but also being at E3 it had competition for the lime light.  Meanwhile the NGP is the only thing today at all.

Now then lets look at stores and consumers. A customer (non-internet-gamer-follower, basically not us) goes up and is curious about these two systems.  they are then shown both of the kiosk, or whateve ryou call the handheld version of that.

3DS - they are shown great graphics and most importantly its amazingly in 3D without glasses

NGP - they are shown amazing graphics, and bout it.

While yes the 3DS and NGP have many many extra features and new things, especially probably the NGP has more.  But is it easy to showcase all thse features of 3G, touch back and front, all games, psn downloadables, gyroscope, ect.  No its not.  They will see both systems, one with more advanced looking graphics, whilethe other is in 3D somehow.  Then they will look at price.

The  3DS wasn't unveiled at E3. It was announced months before and was fully unveiled at E3 along with its software.

Around the Network

I say the 3DS wins, but overall the portable market will shift to cell phones, but we'll never keep track, so we'll never see just how big that shift is.

Author of science fiction and other genres, I write under the pen name Desmond Shepherd. The second season of my series The Permanent Man premieres on November 11, 2014. Pre-order the season premiere The Walls Have Ears on Amazon today!

NoCtiS_NoX said:

The  3DS wasn't unveiled at E3. It was announced months before and was fully unveiled at E3 along with its software.

You mean the fact that Nintendo confirmed they were working on a new handheld? I don't think Nintendo confirmed much more until E3. In the same fashion Sony confirmed a PSP2 months ago through official statements and leaks from studios.

But Sony's conference this week was the unvieling. We've known about the console since E3 we've had official reports from Game studios since September. In the same fashion news was leaked about 3DS alittle before E3 but the unvieling of the device was at its press conference at E3, that was the official unvieling!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

I agree. Nintendo N3DS will win the handheld battle by the same margin of NDS-PSP or more. I think PSP2 will sell like PSP, while N3DS will sell more than NDS.

draamazing said:

We Don't Know Whos Ganna Be Cheaper Yet, Though You're Probadly Going To Be Right.

PSP2 Showed Of A Straight Up Version Of Metal Gear Solid 4(Nominated For Game Of The Year 2008) & A Similar Uncharted To Uncharted 2(Game Of The Year 2009, By The Way), That's Something.  The PSP2 Has A Strong Line Up Though Small It'll Increase When It's About To Launch.

Just Because A Previous Console Destroyed The Last Gen Does Not Mean It's Going To Repeat.

EX.  Units Sold: Gamecube 20, Xbox 20, & PS2 120 (In Million)

Wii  85, 360 50, & PS3 47

The DS Had Best Selers Beacause It Was More Bang For The Buck, That's Why Everyone Got It And That's Why The DS Has More Best Sellers But Now We Just Got To Wait To See Sells More To Find Out The New Best Sellers.

Thank You For Reading This Long Ass Opinion

One potential problem with the PSP2's line-up is that games that are particularly successful on a handheld are often very different from games that are particularly successful on a home console. A game like Nintendogs and Cats may not have the fanboy appeal of the games you listed, but it is entirely possible that it would outsell most of the announced PSP2 games combined.

Now, on your second point, no successor to the market leading console has lost its marketshare to a console that has launched significantly later than it, and the only time it has lost market share to a console that was at a higher price was when the Playstation launched 18 months before the N64. From what we have seen, launching later than the successor to a market leading console tends to ensure that your hardware sales declines from generation to generation.

As for the new best sellers ... The PSP2 will require larger development teams and longer time-lines to produce exclusive games than the 3DS will; and this means that, even if developers are supporting both platforms equally, the 3DS will see far more games released to it. On top of these exclusively developed games, the 3DS will probably see ports from the Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, XBox and Wii while the PSP2 might see ports from the PS3 and XBox 360; and this works out to being far more games for the 3DS than the PSP. Now you may be asking 'Why does the quantity of games mater for million selling games?' and the answer to this is that break-out successes tend to be somewhat unpredictable; and the more games that are released the more likely it is to have a breakout success. When a platform sees the release of 2500 games it is far more likely that the next Guitar Hero or Pokemon will be created on that platform than the system that only has 250 games released.

Around the Network

i love how everyone is assuming the price for the ngp is 400-500 without any source.

Trentonater said:

i love how everyone is assuming the price for the ngp is 400-500 without any source.

i thin the assumption is minninum of $300.  But hell look at Sony in general.  Their products are never cheap, they are always the high end on cost in whatever it is.  TV's, systems, stereo, ect. 

Look at their consoles.  The cheapest a console has EVER released for them was the PS2 at what $300.  (don't know what ps1 was, so that could have been)

PS2 - $300

PSP - $250

PS3 - $600

Now just re-read again the features, look at graphics, size, specs and so on and tell me you think this can be as cheap as $250. 

BTW as for graphics, watched some videos when i got home yesterday and the graphics are not ps3 level.  If you guys had those graphics shown for PS3 you would say the developer was being lazy.  They are obviously closer to ps3 graphics than wii graphics.  But just saying, Uncharted did not look as good as Uncharted on PS3

irstupid said:t.

Look at their consoles.  The cheapest a console has EVER released for them was the PS2 at what $300.  (don't know what ps1 was, so that could have been)

$300 as well versus $200 yet more powerful N64.

mai said:
irstupid said:t.

$300 as well versus $200 yet more powerful N64.

yes I know. 

The PS1, and the PS2 were in their respective generations the WEAKEST consoles.   How did they do sales wise?  Were they the Winners?

The PS3, and the PSP were in their respective generations the STRONGEST consoles.  How did they do sales wise?  Were they the Winners?

What is the NGP in regards to these?  I know an age old response, but you brought it up.

SONY always wins, baby.