By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 3DS vs PSP2 (NGP) battle: Who will win the console wars ?

Beuli2 said:
silicon said:

3DS ..... although they are going after different markets.

What do you mean? Nintendo's plan is to hit all existent markets, Sony on the other end decided to just choose the Sony fanboys for it's handheld, and that's what will ultimately doom it.

How can this guy alwyas get away with trolling sony in almost every post he writes about it?

Around the Network
pizzahut451 said:
Beuli2 said:
silicon said:

3DS ..... although they are going after different markets.

What do you mean? Nintendo's plan is to hit all existent markets, Sony on the other end decided to just choose the Sony fanboys for it's handheld, and that's what will ultimately doom it.

How can this guy alwyas get away with trolling sony in almost every post he writes about it?

he got banned many times, he never gets away with it :P

Being in 3rd place never felt so good

KungKras said:

3DS

NGP is just the PSP strategy on steroids. Didn't work then, won't work now.

Also, it has a downloadable last-gen monster hunter. We shall see what platform the next full blown game will be for.

I'm pretty sure in the Sony Meeting, they said they were also working on another MH for the NGP too...I could be wrong, though. I don't think the NGP will be behind as the 3DS as much as PSP vs. DS. This could be a close one, if NGP has great games at launch, and keeps the momentum going, it could be really close.

The problem with the PSP was Sony was thinking good graphics & typical entertainment device features = WIN! Its clear with the NGP, that Sony noticed most of the faults with the PSP and actually has a chance this time at gaining a lot of share in the handheld market.

The NGP has a lot of features, even if it didn't have the PS3 quality graphics, it would still be considered an excellent device with A LOT of potential. Its pretty much, up to how good the Software will be this time, and not constant ports like the PSP. I think its a little too early for us to really debate about this...it was barely announced and we really don't know its full potential yet.

Odd. Future. Wolf. Gang. Kill. Em. All. OFWGKTA Don't give a fuck!

Fuck Steve Harvey. FREE EARL!

Final Fantasy Versus XIII will be the GREATEST game EVER made!!!

I'd take a bullet for Square-Enix! 

I think Sony don't care much for profitability on the gaming division and use it to push their products of other divisions.

So, even though their gaming division may post a net loss, the profit gained by other division could easily offset it. i.e. PS3 helped won the Blu-ray vs HDDVD war. It was rather a swift victory, too.

3DS will win because of the huge DS established fandom.

But gap will not be as big as DS/PSP.

Sony will have to come up with a surprise like Microsoft did with X360 to be able to actually win this.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
pizzahut451 said:
Darc Requiem said:

Sony didn't start profiting from PS2 hardware until it's 3rd year on the market. They sold the system a huge loss the first two years because they didn't want to risk the Dreamcast gaining a foothold.

That's quite the nonsense you wrote there :)

Sony's gaming division posted a loss of about half a billion dollars in the fiscal year the PS2 launched. With an all around profitable PS1 and profitable PS2 software, that leaves only one culprit for the loss: PS2 hardware. A year before the PS2 launch Sony's gaming division posted a profit of more than $600 million, so losses on PS2 hardware could account for almost $1 billion in the following year as they didn't only offset all gains from the PS1 during that same year, but far exceeded it.

And yet they broke even and make almost 450M profit in the next year?  So PS2's  made up for 1 billion loss and added another half bilion in profit in only one year? Doesnt add up. I know Sony lost money on launch, but to say it was a ''huge loss'' is and overestimate. Huge loss means you lost huge chunk of all your money and wont be able to get it back for some time. If you call Sony's loss huge, how would you call Miscrosoft's on original Xbox?

UnknownFact said:

3DS will win because of the huge DS established fandom.

But gap will not be as big as DS/PSP.

Sony will have to come up with a surprise like Microsoft did with X360 to be able to actually win this.

What fandom? 12 year old girls and soccer moms?? Im sorry, but huge part of DS's userbase isnt all nintendo fans, but casual players who simply buy everything that is ''new'' and fancy. Thats why they all jumped to Wii insted of PS3.If established fandom determens the winner, than PS3 should have easly been the best selling console, because of PS2's userbase. Im betting that, to most of them, 3DS is just another upgraded model of normal DS. DS, DSLite, DSi, DSXL, 3DS, you cant really know that the last one is ''next gen'' if you dont check gaming web sites, and most of DS users dont.

I am sure U are talking about handheld war, O.K I will go By your thoughts

3DS is supported by Nintendo & 3rd Parties (More than 100M lifetime for sure), Titles already announced suites everyone (There is something for everyone here) , Less price & everything is going Nintendo's way so it will win, (How did U know it will be less price did Sony announce it's price for 3 Regions?).

Till now I didn't see Japan market titles for Sony , I heard about western titles like Uncharted, Call of duty,.....ETC, Those are big titles to begin with don't U think.

Sony always sells it's products not only to gamers (Movies, Pictures, Music,....ETC) there is a market there also that made PSP be a big hit even though DS won the race but PSP didn't lose because it profited in the long run.

I believe 3DS will sell more, But PSP 2 will also sell & it won't surprise me if both systems top 100M unites this time around.

the 3DS.. because Nintendo are pretty dominate in the handheld video game system devision

The reason DS sold so much is because it launched at 149$/euros.

Both the 3DS and PSP2 will be way more expensive, 3DS will have the same launch price as PSP1, PSP2 will be even more expensive.

I think the PSP1 lifetime sales will be around 75-77 million, maybe 80 million, depends on pricecuts and when NGP will release and how much million it will sell after NGP releases.

NGP will do around 90, 3DS around 100-110 million.