By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Can Egyptians do it?

Xen said:
dib8rman said:
Xen said:
Kasz216 said:
Xen said:
Kasz216 said:
Mr Khan said:

Now we're gonna see something interesting. Hopefully the military runs this more like the Turkish military and not like the Iraqi military

Yep....

Indeed. That hope is the reason I'm happy that the military got ahold of the country.

Oh for sure.  I look at it like making it into the second round of a contest.  Reason to be happy... but I'm not going to throw a celebration until I know the final result.

Neither am I, Egypt is just south from the border for me...

I believe the military already made clear that they intend to work in a interim government until a peoples government can be established. They also made clear they do not intend to form a military government at all.

Things can turn just like that...

=/ yep.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
MessiaH said:

Hey guys, first off, I would like to say that the general population on the gamrconnect forums are a thousand times more mature than those found at IGN. And I like that interesting and relevant non-gaming topics are opened for discussion here.

Anyway, to share my thoughts on this, and I didnt read all 19 or so pages worth of comments as there is only so much time I can slack off at work. But we all know now that Hosni Mubarak has stepped down. Those of you who fear that a fundamentalist group will step in his place should not worry, as the Egyptian people have a HUGE highly educated sector of their population that do not want that to happen. Also, the Muslim Brotherhood is not a fundamentalist regime of any sort, and have never been in ties with Iran. These fears should be set aside. There will most likely be some sort of democratic vote over the popular parties. Yes, the Muslim Brotherhood will be one of them, and they will probably have a strong backing from the lower class and less educated part of the population, but I highly doubt they they can get the majority to vote for them. 

Also, those who don't think that the US had anything to do with Mubarak's stay in power there are naive. There is a peace treaty between Egypt and Israel, and the US wants to maintain that as they would do anything to protect Israel. Keeping Mubarak in place is one method. Now once Mubarak gets replaced, that certainly does not mean that the next person is going to rip that peace treaty apart and start shooting rockets into Israel. No. That is not to Egypt's advantage. However, unlike Mubarak who let Israel get away with breaking international law and UN resolutions, the next person who takes over MIGHT, MIIIGHT be brave enough to place necessary political pressures on Israel to play a fairer game towards the peace process that they are not interested in.

At the end of the day, those Egyptians were EXTREMELY brave for wat they did, and it is their persistence that led them to this success. On day 10 and 11 of the protests, many thought it was over and that they would have to wait until September for Mubarak to step down, but their persistence led to this. Now it would also be naive for us to think that it was purely this persistence that led to Mubarak stepping down. There was obvious foreign pressure at play, but this foreign pressure would not have increased without the people standing their ground. 

Now we just have to hope this ends up turning into the greater good.

And in the case of Lebanon (reading some earlier posts), there are 2 main factions that oppose one another. The pro-syrians (including Hezbollah) and the anti-syrians. What started off as a government having majority in the anti-syrian sector, now ended up with Hezbollah having majority. But that was done by way of force and violence. Whereas the anti-syrians did not want to start another civil war, have more people killed and bring the country back down again, Hezbollah were ready to do so as their interest is not that of the country but of themselves. Shit, when these people march and protest, they do not hold the flag of Lebanon, no, they hold the flag of their faction and posters of their leader Hassan Nasrallah. That simple imagery shows that they dont have the country's well-being in mind. And the fact that they have now literally stolen the power through violence and threats worries me greatly. I do not know what will happen to Lebanon. And quite frankly, I dont see these no-good people stepping down unless they get violently crushed and thrown out. Which is a shame, cause that would mean another civil war needs to take place in that country. And things like that please countries like Israel as having their neighbour get destroyed internally once again means that this neighbour will be a broken, useless husk of a country that would not be able to contend Israel with anything it does.

Its a cruel world in many parts of the Middle East, and some areas NEED a revolution for betterment.

I dont intend on offending anyone, I realize there are posters here from Israel, Syria and all round the world. A fact is a fact though, a government is clearly in the wrong or right, although in most cases a government does not speak for all its people. So when I point out that Israel isn't going about the right way with the peace process, I am in no way concluding that its people agree with its actions.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think a few quotes would be nice, you could say I'm cheating but they sum up my points pretty nicely.

George Bernard Shaw:

"Democracy substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few."

That's addressing the (possible) future election. It really doesn't matter if they are democrats or or Muslim Botherhood if they are corrupt.

------

VERY important detail about the Muslim Brotherhood. Tariq Ramadan who is known to have helped finance 9/11 and gave financial and verbal support for some Islamic terror issues in England and western countries is the crux.  He was banned from the US though he is a Oxford professor. Now that's not even mentioning how when he goes to Tehran U or any other  Muslims country he speaks in signs suggesting that terror is what should be done and advocating Muslim dominance. His position in the Oxford University Faculty of Theology is paid by quatar emirate following the demand of the Muslim Brotherhood preacher Youssef Qaradawi.

Another detail about the Muslim Brotherhood is that they are bed buddies with the OIC which was already in bed with Egypt in the form of Hosni Mubarak, a great example of their agenda would be the black mailing of Denmark by the OIC after the president of Denmark refused to meet their demands of nationalising the Free Press.  (Other demands as well) The Muslm Brotherhood and OIC are responsible for well coordinated attacks  on Denmarks Embassies around the world.

Which forces me to another detail about Youssef Qaradawi since you brought up Hezbolah, he directly supports Hezbolah and it's anti-semitic actions, he also identifies Jewish women as soldiers, he issued a fatwa to support Hezbolah and for a unified Messopotamian Arabic movement toward the destruction of Israel in support of Hezbolah. This has nothing to do with Lebanon it's just about what happens when religion is politics.

Lebanon for all intents and purposes is Afghanistan without a US military war effort. The ones caught in the middle are the ones who want to live in peace; who are the ones who need to do something about it.

"Evil thrives when good men do nothing."

As such...

It's the sad fate for the  person who refuses to fess up to their own short comings, whats a sadder fate is a whole nation that would refuse to fess up to it's own short comings and what's the saddest fate? Well I'll keep this one a secret.

Egyptians could blame the flying pizza monster for keeping Mubarak in power it doesn't change that they are the ones who could and did oust him, it's called a revolution revolt for a reason.

-----

The cost of freedom is not the blood of Americans. Americans learned that in Vietnam which might be why they are so iffy about staying in Afghanistan. (Chalk one up for history there.)

-----

Not even going to get started with anti-semitism topics then I'd probably end up trolling =P.

Edit- Sorry got sleepy and didn't feel like jotting more quotes that I might have to clarify in another post.

dib8rman said:
elticker said:
dib8rman said:

=/ I really can't see why anyone would want Mubarak out of power.

If the people's party wins it wil be an Islamic Nationalism or a Islamic "democratic" autocracy.

The people of Egypt just aren't ready for a Democracy at all, it's just another Arabian in struggle only this time they can't blame the US... nevermind.

A brief history on Mubarak though: Mubarak is a Egyptian nationalist, and used to be a very lax guy until his boss was killed in front of him by members of the Islamic Brotherhood. Since then he only helped Egypt on a secular path in the same way his boss did. At some point though his issues became Egypts issues and thus the Mubarak we have today. He litterally see's the welfare of Egypt as his own. If anyone here follows his interviews you would know he's stubborn as hell so he has the make shift parts of a dictator.

Egypts economical issues were not his fault either, the place is filled with very ignorant folk who... first off Egypt is heavily bent on it's agricultural sector  and so it doesn't help when you kill off your live stock at a whim of some virus, especially when you've just gone through 3 famines.

What I think is Mubaraks fault though is his issue with pigs. =/ If it weren't for his idiotic decision with the pigs Cairo would be a nice place to live still... live poor but still live.

we have suez canal, tourism, gas, oil so no it was his issue we are now in debt of 880 billion us dollars. when he first came to power it was only 12 billion. live poor what you don't know how hard it is to live in egypt some people work 3 jobs and can barely find money for bread to survive thats not his fualt. graduates of all faculties can't find jobs so this isn't his fualt nothing is right. he give gas to israel for shit prices, almost for free when he sells it to his own poeple for full price that isn't his fualt. 30 years is a heck of a longtime to make economic reforms, what he did in it was increase egyptains debt by 868 billion dolars that nothing dam i get that in one day of work. Please you don't live in egypt so don't speack about life in egypt. All he did all these years was working for the good of israel, US rather than the good of his people. heck he stole 70 billion dollars from us and his associates stole just as much if not more.  

I see so it's all Israels fault, I am fully aware of the other sections of revenue for Egypt but agriculture has always been the leading sector, I did indicate as much in the post you quoted.
 My point was that so long as god comes first in politics there is no room for democracy. The ideology of a democracy is that the people come before god and individually you may hold whatever deity you wish over yourself.
For the record Egypt has been part of the Opec standardized oil price reg for as long as I can remember, they have the same price to Israel as they do to the US adding only shipping to the price. I believe the prices in 08 was by Opec set at around $85 - $100 a barrel. Israel from what I gather paid in the same time frame around $70 - $80's a barrel, which makes total sense geographically.
In other words your story isn't adding up with the numbers. Do your own research.
----------------
It's not about just getting a higher level of education, and what do I know about working hard? Seriously if I was a jerk I'd point out that it's always been for 22 years the peoples of Egypt’s responsibility to remove your president in a popular movement it's not the job of any outside nation to violate any other nations sovereignty just to install a democracy. In the word's of James Madison "Eternal vigilance by the people is the price of liberty."
As for how hard I work, that's honestly none of your business.
As for your economy, Egypt actually had a surplus in 05 which was the height of the "Recession" (Clearly not for Egypt). Mubarak is credited for boosting foreign investment and paving a road for Egypt to get out of the red. Since 1990 the winds have been in the Egyptian sails.

What it comes down to are those pigs,  if he never culled them Egypt would probably have been the 2nd or 1st Arab nation to join the EU.

You have to understand that my only issue with removing Mubarak is that the people will be unaware of their geopolitical situation and though they have the best intention for Egypt (I hope) they will do it in the name of Allah. I’ve seen idiots chanting in Egypt for the return of a Caliphate by overthrowing all the dictators, if this position is popular in the heart of Arabs then world war three is a guarantee. Dramatic I suppose but men of god have proven themselves to be the most dangerous men on earth.

As for the 880 billion dollar loss, ask yourself where those people got the money to get their higher education, what about the medicine that is imported for the most populated Arab country; ask who paid for that? Don’t “let’s forget that.” These were social interests for a grand part that caused the deficit. Though Egyptian universities are among the worst in the world the government has been sinking money into them to make them into the best they can be. 

I’m not saying there hasn’t been corruption though, I’m positive their has been, it’s just Cold War guys like Mubarak are super patriots and take Egyptian matters personally. It’s part of why he could be trusted.

In the indelible words of Jack Sparrow “You can always trust a liar to tell you a lie, it’s the truthful ones you’ve got to be careful of.”

--------------
In the end though your the one living in it and your the ones who fought him out, dude I just hope I'm wrong and you guys can form a democracy with enlightened values.

So hats off to you and best wishes with whatever you guys do over there.

did i say its israels fault no i didn't so don't take what i say out of context. please spare me the god bullshit, christains were walking with muslims, muslims prayed in their way and so did christains in tahrir square so forming an islamic caliphate system is your dream not mine i am an egyptain and i have no dreams in an islamic caliphate, i do however have dreams about selling gas to israel for full price and supporting gaza and there being peace between israel and palestine. you my friend don't know the camp david account right which made us sell gas at full price back then but inflation has increased prices enourmously, it has been discussed on almost all egyptain channels the camp david account go read that then come back and speak rationally. people in egypt know what they want, its not because they want different things other than what you want means that they aren't aware. you do know egypt has the highest rate of kidney failure in the world i guess the medicine is helping alot when we pay for it, the government doesn't give us medicine for free we buy it, please egyptain universities where ranked in the top 500 before mubarak stepped to presidency since then universities have gotten worse and worse i guess all the money he took helped alot in improving universities. we want freedom, human rights, being able to live happily in egypt, we want to be the leaders of the arab world again i don't think thats too much to ask for especcaily with egypts resources and geographical location.

elticker said:
dib8rman said:
elticker said:

did i say its israels fault no i didn't so don't take what i say out of context. please spare me the god bullshit, christains were walking with muslims, muslims prayed in their way and so did christains in tahrir square so forming an islamic caliphate system is your dream not mine i am an egyptain and i have no dreams in an islamic caliphate, i do however have dreams about selling gas to israel for full price and supporting gaza and there being peace between israel and palestine. you my friend don't know the camp david account right which made us sell gas at full price back then but inflation has increased prices enourmously, it has been discussed on almost all egyptain channels the camp david account go read that then come back and speak rationally. people in egypt know what they want, its not because they want different things other than what you want means that they aren't aware. you do know egypt has the highest rate of kidney failure in the world i guess the medicine is helping alot when we pay for it, the government doesn't give us medicine for free we buy it, please egyptain universities where ranked in the top 500 before mubarak stepped to presidency since then universities have gotten worse and worse i guess all the money he took helped alot in improving universities. we want freedom, human rights, being able to live happily in egypt, we want to be the leaders of the arab world again i don't think thats too much to ask for especcaily with egypts resources and geographical location.

I've already said that the gas prices are estimated by OPEC,  the prices and the process that each country sells gas per gallon differs based on the various charges. In other words even if both Israel and Egypt were getting gas at $50 a barrel if internally your charges were different the prices could be different on the street. The difference between prices per barrel can also come by the % regulated by each government or government agencies, most time's it's OPEC and each government. Israel pays around $75 a barrel for Suez brew, which again considering the geography and the extra charges mentioned that might be more affordable or omitted I don't see where they are getting dirt cheap oil.

The only reason this is true is because in Israel and the US at least and I'm not sure about Egypt, vendors are not allowed to make money from the natural gas itself. At this point your dealing with nothing subjective. The pricing difference may have more to do with how much is being covered by tax payers... (bond holders)

Second whatever position Egyptian  higher education facilities are in doesn't change that a vast amount of money (billions) have been spent on civil ordinances over only the last 10 years. I have a number for the educational ones but I honestly don't know the money that was sunk into medicine.

What god bullshit? Your starting to condescend and at this point I'd wonder who is thinking rationally? And Muslim or not it doesn't make a lick of difference, I should have quoted you on the Israel part, then you couldn't have brought up a contextual issue later... Oh well.

I also do watch Al Jazeera from time to time, I assure you that you can rely on them as much as Americans can rely on their major news channels. In the end you have the best news source: the internet, its forums like this where hopefully raw info and points of view can be shared. Do not think that because I am sharing mine that many others consider this point of view. I play off the cliche's which are usually over looked factoids and I share them when I want to, and if the cliche hit's a nerve I've done my job.

Just because someone isn't seeing it your way doesn't mean you should call it bull shit. If you want take up the exercise then find me one nation sustained in democracy with enlightenment values in history that also has theocracy politically implemented.

I'm not saying it's just about getting god out of their government but I am saying it's a step in the right direction. That's just me being realistic. If you want my opinion, if you'd have me it's very short:

I wish Egypt would form an Anarchism with a Libertarian Capitalism.

But I HIGHLY doubt that will happen and it doesn't mean I am saying they must do it, don't be absurd who am I?

---

Looking back at this post I see your response has become personal because most of my response seems to be describing my position, at the end of the day I couldn't begin to point out all of the angles dealing with geopolitics here on a forum. (My ex-wife could only because she loves to type.) The information is there though… Actually guess I could go to the old cliché and sum up all nations of the world foreign policy with the middle east in three words. “blood for oil”

dib8rman said:
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:

=/ I really can't see why anyone would want Mubarak out of power.

If the people's party wins it wil be an Islamic Nationalism or a Islamic "democratic" autocracy.

The people of Egypt just aren't ready for a Democracy at all, it's just another Arabian in struggle only this time they can't blame the US... nevermind.

A brief history on Mubarak though: Mubarak is a Egyptian nationalist, and used to be a very lax guy until his boss was killed in front of him by members of the Islamic Brotherhood. Since then he only helped Egypt on a secular path in the same way his boss did. At some point though his issues became Egypts issues and thus the Mubarak we have today. He litterally see's the welfare of Egypt as his own. If anyone here follows his interviews you would know he's stubborn as hell so he has the make shift parts of a dictator.

Egypts economical issues were not his fault either, the place is filled with very ignorant folk who... first off Egypt is heavily bent on it's agricultural sector  and so it doesn't help when you kill off your live stock at a whim of some virus, especially when you've just gone through 3 famines.

What I think is Mubaraks fault though is his issue with pigs. =/ If it weren't for his idiotic decision with the pigs Cairo would be a nice place to live still... live poor but still live.

What a pathetic argument you've put forward. It is not up to you to decide whether Mubarak stays or goes. It's up to the Egyptian people and you should be supporting democratic forces. He's an oppressive dictator and a lackey of the US so the Egyptian people can blame the US who provide over $1 billion in mostly military aid annually for the past 30 odd years.  The Mubarek family may have an estimated value of $70 billion and I doubt they acquired this vast wealth through transparent means. But hey he's our guy so as long as he controls his population it's ok (even though a lot of them live in poverty).

And don't forget our some of our major allies are Saudi Arabia and Pakistan both hot beds of Islamic extremsim especally during the 80's when we turned a blind eye to their spreading of Islamic fundamentalism (and in the process Pakistan was acquiring the knowledge to build nukes). So your argument about Islamic extremists gaining power and how it's a problem just doesn't hold water. All we care about is controlling the region whether the Governemnt is secular or a theocracy it doesn't matter. Egypt under Nasser was secular, Syria is secular etc and both deemed enemies of the US.

As for the economy...maybe if the people had a say they would be better off. As it stands it was a one party dictatorship so Mubarek has to take the blame. And I really don't get your argument about pig culls are you saying it made Cairo a worse place to live?!

I have to wonder if you even know what my argument is.

At this point it's a wait and see issue for what happens with Egypt.

But in another post I've given some of the facts your clearly divorced from.

------

People make the mistake of thinking that the past was better than the present, I mean anyone on the main stream media would give me the impression that before US involvement in the middle east that they were all dancing through rose pedals, swimming in wine and singing time away over there.

The area has been in civil unrest for at least the last 130 years, Blame it on the Empire or the Caliphate if you'd like but we Brits left the American's in a position to fix everything.

As for all the dictators some placed by America... Winston Churchill said it the best when reffering to America's foreign policy:

"...is the country that will always do the right thing but only after trying everything else."

We put Saddam in power to create stability, no one had a hint that he was a Megalomaniac until Kuwait we should have removed him from 1992 but we didn't that was the US's mistake.

Put it like this if the US never sent aide to the Egyptian Army, would the Army they have today be the same? We sent them aide for defensive purposes; according to NY times in a effort to block radicalisms and protect the nations sovereignty.

I can't even address your issue with Abdel Nasser only because it would take me too long to type all of the achievements he made for Egypt. He modernized Egypt in a way most of the Arab world wouldn’t come to know for another 20 years or so. Millions turned up to mourn his passing - I've never heard a negative argument about him really.

-----

As far as what is up to me and what isn't, sir or mam your jumping the gun, I never said Egyptians should do anything, I said "I couldn't see why having him removed would be a good thing."

-----

Secularism is part of the point, if you add god to politics you've already shot democracy in the foot. Clearly Nasser didn't impose a democracy or maybe he did but kept winning. =P

A common mistake about how the American democracy formed is to assume that the Pilgrims are the founders, I assure you if the Pilgrims who landed on Plymouth Rock crafted the American constitution America would be very different.

-----

As for Pakistan and nukes your going into Cold War here, they share a border with India who have been combating them for quite some time now and I'm honestly not sure for how long. I know the US has been supplying Pakistan with weapons in order to prevent them from going Nuclear it was in fact a  Indian scientists who sold the workings to the Pakistanis.

Your only error here is to assume that I'm saying that if Egypt goes any other  way than secular democracy that they will end up warring with the world, that's not what I'm saying, saying that would foolishly be saying that secular democracies don't fight.

If that's what you understood then that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying the condition of living won't have a chance of change unless the people put the will of the people first. Mubarak though he was many things was not against Egypt.

Now if the will of the Egyptian people should be to put Allah first or not, then that is their own issue, I've already said hat's off to them.

----

Yes, the pig culling was sheer stupidity.

Edit - Maybe I seem a bit detatched but it's actually for Egyptian well-fare that I'm arguing. All Egyptians, men and women.

-----

You need to stop thinking as if everything we do is for the right reasons and for the benefit of world wide peace and stability. It's only purpose is to serve the agenda of the worlds wealthy business elite which make up a tiny fraction of the worlds population. They are all in bed together, set out to create a worldwide corporate plutocracy, with countries in the 3rd world mainly acting as service sectors such as to oil the industrialised nations. In fact what the worlds business elites do is very harmful to the US and indeed worlds population, they do not have our interests at heart at all. A few examples include terrible environmental degradation, the main contributers to the rise in Global Warming temperatures (a far greater threat than terrorism), massive increase of terrorism around the world due to our savage and holier than thou attitude with regards to foreign policy etc etc.

Look at all the terrible things we've done around the world all in the of either peace or stablity or fighting enemy A or warding off enemy B. It's resulted in greed, massive poverty, millions of deaths, instability, oppression you name it. So your quote about Winston Churchill does not bear fruit in the real world. Instead of looking through the eyes of some pampered millionaire politician (who wishes he was born an American), try and see it through the eyes of the average man, women and child who struggle everyday to make ends meet, who've lost a loved during war time, who can't get their voices heard because it's forbidden and can land them in jail, torture or worse death. This is the reality facing billions in this so called 'globalised' world we live in and this has to stop. The REAL democratic forces such as we've seen in Egypt are fighting for this and we've seen it happen before where a favoured dictator is overthrown (mass murderer Indonesian dictator Suharto anyone) and then suddenly when it seems impossible to support the favoured tyrant usually praised for stability and introducing neo economic liberal reform we abandon him (probably because the Military has- no dictator can survive without his military).The same horror stories we hear about Egypt was conjored up in Indonesia too (worlds largest muslim population now have a democratic say, shock horror!).

As for Nasser- not sure why your talking about him, I only broght him up to make a point that is it doesn't matter whether the Government is secular or a theocracy, what matters is whether its obidient. Nasser was a disobedient secular Arab nationlist so he wasn't our kind of guy. Saddam was our kind of guy during the 80's when the US took Iraq off the State Sponsors of Terrorism list (shows you how much that list means) and vetoed UN resolutions against him. And unsurprisingly Saddam committed his VERY worst atrocities when he was 'our kind of guy'. Didn't give a shit then, suddenly gave a shit in 2003.

About US military aid to Egypt....where US military aid goes...violence is usually increased tenfold. Israel, Yemen, Columbia, Pakistan...it's a nasty correlation. And exactly why does Egypt need $1 billion a year? To defend it's territory from the Muslim Brotherhood? Or to buy US fighter jets, tanks and IFVs (a kind of subsidy to US defence firms who are one of the most subsidised companies in the world)? A sort of bribe to keep peace with Israel and shut the hell up? I doubt there are any noble intentions. No point talking about what the Army would've been like if they had aid or no aid. Probably less well equipped and not as well trained, that's about it.

I agree the middle east has been in turmoil ever since the collapse of the Ottamon Empire and European Empires share a large responsibility. And did we have to overthrow Mosaddegh when he was democratically elected? Later on we would see Khomeinei....blowbacks a bitch.

Read the last paragraph and now read the below which you quoted.

"...is the country that will always do the right thing but only after trying everything else."

Do you still agree with it? Is it even true? ('will try everything else').

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:

You need to stop thinking as if everything we do is for the right reasons and for the benefit of world wide peace and stability. It's only purpose is to serve the agenda of the worlds wealthy business elite which make up a tiny fraction of the worlds population. They are all in bed together, set out to create a worldwide corporate plutocracy, with countries in the 3rd world mainly acting as service sectors such as to oil the industrialised nations. In fact what the worlds business elites do is very harmful to the US and indeed worlds population, they do not have our interests at heart at all. A few examples include terrible environmental degradation, the main contributers to the rise in Global Warming temperatures (a far greater threat than terrorism), massive increase of terrorism around the world due to our savage and holier than thou attitude with regards to foreign policy etc etc.

Look at all the terrible things we've done around the world all in the of either peace or stablity or fighting enemy A or warding off enemy B. It's resulted in greed, massive poverty, millions of deaths, instability, oppression you name it. So your quote about Winston Churchill does not bear fruit in the real world. Instead of looking through the eyes of some pampered millionaire politician (who wishes he was born an American), try and see it through the eyes of the average man, women and child who struggle everyday to make ends meet, who've lost a loved during war time, who can't get their voices heard because it's forbidden and can land them in jail, torture or worse death. This is the reality facing billions in this so called 'globalised' world we live in and this has to stop. The REAL democratic forces such as we've seen in Egypt are fighting for this and we've seen it happen before where a favoured dictator is overthrown (mass murderer Indonesian dictator Suharto anyone) and then suddenly when it seems impossible to support the favoured tyrant usually praised for stability and introducing neo economic liberal reform we abandon him (probably because the Military has- no dictator can survive without his military).The same horror stories we hear about Egypt was conjored up in Indonesia too (worlds largest muslim population now have a democratic say, shock horror!).

As for Nasser- not sure why your talking about him, I only broght him up to make a point that is it doesn't matter whether the Government is secular or a theocracy, what matters is whether its obidient. Nasser was a disobedient secular Arab nationlist so he wasn't our kind of guy. Saddam was our kind of guy during the 80's when the US took Iraq off the State Sponsors of Terrorism list (shows you how much that list means) and vetoed UN resolutions against him. And unsurprisingly Saddam committed his VERY worst atrocities when he was 'our kind of guy'. Didn't give a shit then, suddenly gave a shit in 2003.

About US military aid to Egypt....where US military aid goes...violence is usually increased tenfold. Israel, Yemen, Columbia, Pakistan...it's a nasty correlation. And exactly why does Egypt need $1 billion a year? To defend it's territory from the Muslim Brotherhood? Or to buy US fighter jets, tanks and IFVs (a kind of subsidy to US defence firms who are one of the most subsidised companies in the world)? A sort of bribe to keep peace with Israel and shut the hell up? I doubt there are any noble intentions. No point talking about what the Army would've been like if they had aid or no aid. Probably less well equipped and not as well trained, that's about it.

I agree the middle east has been in turmoil ever since the collapse of the Ottamon Empire and European Empires share a large responsibility. And did we have to overthrow Mosaddegh when he was democratically elected? Later on we would see Khomeinei....blowbacks a bitch.

Wow, no sir, the Middle East was in Turmoil even before the US got there.

There is an old song:

"From the Hills of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli."

The US had to form a Marine Corps and a Navy to deal with the Musselmen Barbary states who were part of the Islamic Empire but showed and celebrated and even awarded rank for piracy. History does show that the Ottoman was at it's best a leech on the world. But I guess that's another topic.

Now I see why you thought what you thought about my original post, it's called projection. You thought that by me saying what I said the message is how you would of intended it. I said that I can't see why they would want to get rid of Hosni Mubarak that is not saying they should do as I say. You my friend have a knack for telling people what to do, now you are telling me I should stop seeing myself, my family, my values, my ideals, you and anyone else who enjoys democratic civilization and those who combat barbarism or unrequited servitude as the good guys.

"And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, do you see how far the termites have come and how long and well they have dined, when in a group of free-thinkers someone can stand up and say that the problem is western civilization and not the Islamic threat to it, that is how far the termites have come." -Hitch

Ha, I'm surprised you didn't bring up East Timor, usually Liberals tend to bring that up. East Timor is an interesting example and would prove your point of a US funded genocide.

But I said defend themselves so it could be from the Muslim Brotherhood or even Israel. This isn't a world without borders just yet sir, there are steps that must be taken or others will try to take it from you. If you live in the US I'm sure you wouldn't understand that unless Canada declared war on the US =P Or Mexico tried to take Texas...

Old Country is a bit different Western Europe has only just begun toss away imperialism.

The Kissinger model or Tricentralism is not designed around imperialism it assumes that their are 3 super powers and that each must maintain the other in check. It's flawed as is anything with Kissinger but do you have a better suggestion to replace this Machiavellian policy which sadly seems to work; there hasn’t been a nuclear war yet.

Lastly I don't believe you grasp the irony in Churchill's quote in the least bit.

Egypt is making huge steps in only 18 days, that's incredible.

dib8rman said:
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:

Wow, no sir, the Middle East was in Turmoil even before the US got there.

There is an old song:

"From the Hills of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli."

The US had to form a Marine Corps and a Navy to deal with the Musselmen Barbary states who were part of the Islamic Empire but showed and celebrated and even awarded rank for piracy. History does show that the Ottoman was at it's best a leech on the world. But I guess that's another topic.

Now I see why you thought what you thought about my original post, it's called projection. You thought that by me saying what I said the message is how you would of intended it. I said that I can't see why they would want to get rid of Hosni Mubarak that is not saying they should do as I say. You my friend have a knack for telling people what to do, now you are telling me I should stop seeing myself, my family, my values, my ideals, you and anyone else who enjoys democratic civilization and those who combat barbarism or unrequited servitude as the good guys.

"And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, do you see how far the termites have come and how long and well they have dined, when in a group of free-thinkers someone can stand up and say that the problem is western civilization and not the Islamic threat to it, that is how far the termites have come." -Hitch

Ha, I'm surprised you didn't bring up East Timor, usually Liberals tend to bring that up. East Timor is an interesting example and would prove your point of a US funded genocide.

But I said defend themselves so it could be from the Muslim Brotherhood or even Israel. This isn't a world without borders just yet sir, there are steps that must be taken or others will try to take it from you. If you live in the US I'm sure you wouldn't understand that unless Canada declared war on the US =P Or Mexico tried to take Texas...

Old Country is a bit different Western Europe has only just begun toss away imperialism.

The Kissinger model or Tricentralism is not designed around imperialism it assumes that their are 3 super powers and that each must maintain the other in check. It's flawed as is anything with Kissinger but do you have a better suggestion to replace this Machiavellian policy which sadly seems to work; there hasn’t been a nuclear war yet.

Lastly I don't believe you grasp the irony in Churchill's quote in the least bit.

Your pretty confusing with some of your statements. Let's try and stay on topic and not romanticise peoples plight with fanciful quotes.

1. Yes I acknowledge the Middle East has been in turmoil long before US involvement. This was evident in my previous post.

2. Not sure why your bringing up the barbary pirates? I'm sure Turkish nationalists would say (enter any empire here) was a leech on the world as they can't see their own crimes. See what I'm getting at?

3. I'm not telling you to not speak to your family. I am arguing you and your antiquated imperialist attitude towards the rest of the world and I argue such attitudes which are prevelent at the highest levels of our Governments contravene human rights, justice, fraternity, liberty, democracy and all these things which we over here at least in some measure take for granted.

4. I mentioned Suharto the genocidal billionaire dictator responsible for the deaths of hundres of thousands of so called 'communists' and East Timorese. All this done in your name to protect your freedom in some fantasy universe conjured up in the White House and Pentagon

5. The Egyptian Military doesn't need a $1 billion a year to defend itself against the the unarmed Muslim Brotherhood or terrorists. There are much smarter and cost effective ways to fight terrorism such as introducing democratic reform, eradicating poverty, education and good old fashion police/detective/intelligence work. The whole world needs to demilitarise unfortunately the West, Russia and Israel are arming themselves and everyone else to the teeth. We as a world spend more than 10 times as much on killing machines then on aid.

6. The war criminal Kissanger and his model of tricentralism (if it exists at all) is clearly not at work. The US dominated NATO expanded it's borders further East. The US seeks dominance, not a multi polar world. This is obvious in any circles. But it is suffering serious strategic and tactical set backs which is also evident the question is for how long or is it permanent?

Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:
Badassbab said:
dib8rman said:

Your pretty confusing with some of your statements. Let's try and stay on topic and not romanticise peoples plight with fanciful quotes.

1. Yes I acknowledge the Middle East has been in turmoil long before US involvement. This was evident in my previous post.

2. Not sure why your bringing up the barbary pirates? I'm sure Turkish nationalists would say (enter any empire here) was a leech on the world as they can't see their own crimes. See what I'm getting at?

3. I'm not telling you to not speak to your family. I am arguing you and your antiquated imperialist attitude towards the rest of the world and I argue such attitudes which are prevelent at the highest levels of our Governments contravene human rights, justice, fraternity, liberty, democracy and all these things which we over here at least in some measure take for granted.

4. I mentioned Suharto the genocidal billionaire dictator responsible for the deaths of hundres of thousands of so called 'communists' and East Timorese. All this done in your name to protect your freedom in some fantasy universe conjured up in the White House and Pentagon

5. The Egyptian Military doesn't need a $1 billion a year to defend itself against the the unarmed Muslim Brotherhood or terrorists. There are much smarter and cost effective ways to fight terrorism such as introducing democratic reform, eradicating poverty, education and good old fashion police/detective/intelligence work. The whole world needs to demilitarise unfortunately the West, Russia and Israel are arming themselves and everyone else to the teeth. We as a world spend more than 10 times as much on killing machines then on aid.

6. The war criminal Kissanger and his model of tricentralism (if it exists at all) is clearly not at work. The US dominated NATO expanded it's borders further East. The US seeks dominance, not a multi polar world. This is obvious in any circles. But it is suffering serious strategic and tactical set backs which is also evident the question is for how long or is it permanent?

Only a person who was romanticizing would use the word romanticize.

1. You didn't make that concession clear enough, my point was simple, even when they were the Ottoman they didn't contribute a single thing, they expanded in all directions and just about all of the credited achievements were the achievements of conquered peoples converted to Islam or were already in effect by those people before they were conquered. Hence why it's correct to use the word leech.

2. I don't know why you separated one and two but that isn't the point. Your right and the Turks could say the Dish did in fact run away with the spoon, doesn't make any of it fact. I could write a 500 page book on western accomplishments and the benefit they have  been to man-kind.

3."You need to stop thinking as if" I mean do you really need a 3rd party to show you that your lying at this point?  The rest of your callithump for this section will be ignored only because yet again you split the same topic up.

4. Oh, sorry didn't notice - once I see folks piling on the list of so called atrocities I skip over to the next paragraph. Believe it or not I've had all the atrocities listed for me, there is a book on it actually, the name slips my mind now. It's of all the wrong things the US has done.

4.1 - On East Timor I'll copy paste an old response I wrote on this arguing point:

"...that discourse from an American perspective about the deaths of those at 9/11 the immensity of the pain of hearing about the mass beheading of women in Iraq under Saddam Hussein has met the Left seemingly bereft of use with nothing to say. Then reminded that the left is the side that claims to have their finger on the pulse of humanity through logos, pathos and ethos and would have an answer to how we should react. Instead I'm slammed back by you on as an example of a leftist argument "well, what about East Timur?". These people attacked our culture, our secularism, our pluralism, attacked everything that we hold dear as far as our multicultural ethics. The indiscriminate attacks cost hundreds of Muslims their lives as well hundreds of people from every other nationality. With all of these things being as clear as day you would say "Well, what about East Timor?" or in another case "Well, what about Bosnia?" or in another case "Well about the Shah?" or in another case "Well what about the Atomic Bomb?"

When the planned genocide recorded and planned genocide of women in Iraq through mass beheading was known how did the left react?

'Well we have to wait and see because it's not clear.'

Wait and see for what? It's more than sniveling or cowardice those caitiffs are down right disgusting to try and evade an issue like that and will only work to summon historical censure.  

It would appear to me such evasiveness can only mean one thing, the person evading wants to pretend the issue never came up. They are just looking to fill the status quo.

If the zeitgeist of the left is to craft an egalitarian society then with the evidence as it is presented to this date gauging it's value then if the left was for whole sale I'd equally afford piss in a cup.

Well, what about East Timor, I think now more than ever since I've had a bit of Scotch and the internet at my finger tips I can attack this rotten tool. Did you know that item 3 of the Bin Laden manifesto has to deal with East Timor? Well time line is important here, the west had acknowledged East Timor’s independence in 1999 or some such, Bin Laden wrote his Manifesto after that and the third item deals with the west reversing it's position with East Timor. In other words undoing the ending of the Indonesian genocide, it's recognition with the UN and it's first election. Bin Laden said for this he will never forgive the west for taking Muslim land. The people of East Timor are  Christian by the way have been since it was a Portuguese colony.  By then Islam hadn't even become dominant in Indonesia until the 1600s where Christianity had already spread to that region at around 1300 to 1500 at the latest. (I couldn't find any sources on the date it became dominant.)But Christianity was there before the Portuguese.

East Timor as it turns out is one of the top 3 reasons Bin Laden decided to use civilian air crafts to kill more civilians. So again, what about East Timor?"

I think here's where I should use my Hitch quote again. But by now I would hope you have seen how far those termites have come for you to hold your position as a proper construct.

5. Oh, boy I said to protect it's sovereignty, you assume I speak only of the Islamic Brother Hood at this point your putting up strawmen either I believe a concession is in order here. You did it in (1) do it in 4. (Unless you honestly believe Egypt doesn't need an equipped standing Army and hasn't needed one for the last 20 years.)

6. Tri-centralism is a word from Noam used to describe Kissengers methods it's more common to call it Trilateralism, it's the best way to describe it I think. But since the Soviets are gone Kissingers model is out the window. Those termites have really fed well I see, if your that type you can respond in whatever insulting way you want to, I won't respond at this point I don't think there is much else to say.

Actually, the US already had established itself and monopolized the oil through ARAMCO before 1976. But it isn't so black and white. Anyway good night.