By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - *Why is Silent Hill Downpour PS3/360 exclusive?*

LivingMetal said:
*Sound Of Rain said:

Silent Hill was never a franchise that sold a lot but Silent Hill Shattered Memories has now sold 390K copies and according to VGC is tied for the best selling single system Silent Hill in history. It is tied with Silent Hill Homecoming for the 360 but S.M is likely to reach 400K and it probably costs Konami less money to make as its non HD.

I know why most publishers don't like to release many "Core" games on the Wii because they tend not to sell well but Shattered Memories is/will become there best selling S.H game yet...

If a Wii version was made I bet it would sell better than the PS3 and 360 version.

Go buy you a PS3.

I think he already has a Wii.

Around the Network

Konami have hit a sweet spot with their survival horror games, Saw and Homecoming didn't set the charts on fire, but they've come out and said that both franchises on the HD consoles have been profitable (that's why we got a SAW 2). I'm guessing Silent Hill: Downpour is going to be produced at a low cost and so it'll probably be profitable with about 400,000 units sold. It also helps that Downpour is being developed in the Czech Republic by a relatively new team made up of some talented former 2k developers. 

I think one of the largest misconceptions going around on this forum is that if a game is in HD, it's going to have a massive budget and it's going to have to sell a million units, when it's obviously not true. Stupid publishers surrounded by untalented developers are the reasons why some games have over bloated budgets, but are horrible games. Developers like Zombie. Inc, From Software, Epic, Naughty Dog, 4A Games, Sucker Punch, Access Games, Media Molecule and pretty much any mid sized PC developer is making bank on great games, that have pretty low budgets.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752

Mr.Metralha said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Homecoming (360/PS3 combined) sold more units at full price than Shattered (Wii only).

My granpa and my granma (combined) ate more peanuts than me alone (me only).

Therefore they combined eat more peanuts than me.

I want the Nobel prize for combination, now.

I'm sick of people who combine sales from 2 platforms against 1 platform alone.

That's the exact thought process publishers are going through though. If it's going to cost an extra $50,000 to port a game to the PS3, but it's guaranteed that the port will sell at least 300,000 units, then it'd be more financially viable to create one game and put it on two platforms for a low cost. If they developed the game for the Wii, they'd have to put much more effort into something that they aren't guaranteed to make their money back on, especially if that time and effort could go towards other games.

Your thinking about it from the perspective of a Nintendo fan trying to win an argument, but you should be trying to see it from the perspective of the publisher.

Bet with Conegamer and AussieGecko that the PS3 will have more exclusives in 2011 than the Wii or 360... or something.

Mr.Metralha said:

Are you considering its relatively inexpensive to port games between the HD platforms? I mean its not like they build the game from scratch for both consoles. Which is why they share most of their library.

You can't figure this out?

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I'm just happy it's coming to the HD's, and the short answer to your Q is, apparently they think it's more profitable...wii isn't exactly a good place to be if you value 3rd party games support sadly looking at the line up this year

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
Doobie_wop said:
Mr.Metralha said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Homecoming (360/PS3 combined) sold more units at full price than Shattered (Wii only).

That's the exact thought process publishers are going through though. If it's going to cost an extra $50,000 to port a game to the PS3, but it's guaranteed that the port will sell at least 300,000 units, then it'd be more financially viable to create one game and put it on two platforms for a low cost. If they developed the game for the Wii, they'd have to put much more effort into something that they aren't guaranteed to make their money back on, especially if that time and effort could go towards other games.

Your thinking about it from the perspective of a Nintendo fan trying to win an argument, but you should be trying to see it from the perspective of the publisher.

Then you combine the PSP and PS2 sales of SM with Wii and it still outsold Homcoming and we're back to square flipping one... See it from the publishers perspective man

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:

Then you combine the PSP and PS2 sales of SM with Wii and it still outsold Homcoming and we're back to square flipping one... See it from the publishers perspective man

As I mentioned before, the PS2 and PSP releases of Shattered Memories were $30.

Homecoming for 360 and PS3 were $60. We don't know how many copies the PC version sold but it was cheaper.

The publisher is going back to HD so that gives you an idea of which was more profitable or has more potential.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:

As I mentioned before, the PS2 and PSP releases of Shattered Memories were $30.

Homecoming for 360 and PS3 were $60. We don't know how many copies the PC version sold but it was cheaper.

The publisher is going back to HD so that gives you an idea of which was more profitable or has more potential.

*sigh* You know they've been switching back and forth this entire time right?  Climax studios made Origins on PSP and PS2 with meh reception, Double Helix made Homecoming to a meh reception, Climax studios went up to bat again with Shattered Memories on Wii, PS2, and PSP met with really good reception and better sales, and now they're putting Vatra games on Downpour and they specialize in FPS and action games... and have experience on... you guessed it PS3 and 360... it's really a no brainer that the developers are making the games on a platform they're experienced on.

Mainly I don't give a flip if Downpour isn't on Wii, I don't even care about that argument, it's just retarded to go "combined sales of HD platforms!" and then not do it when another game has more sales than even the combined HD sales... as for the whine about PS2 and PSP Shattered Memories was 30 bucks, they also had less work put into them vs the Wii version, even cheaper than Wii to develop on, and PS2 became an open platform not long ago, I'm pretty sure royalty fees are rather slim now-a-days unlike some other consoles I know like Wii, PS3, and 360, add to that PSP royalty fees have gone down the drain since piracy became so bad as Sony lowered them for incentives to publishers, so 30 bucks is easily representative of not only the lesser work applied but also not having to pay as much to Sony for putting it out there and means more money for Konami.

Basically I'm saying you have yet to provide one lick of evidence to prove your case but what I'm stating is common knowledge and sense.  Downpour I'm iffy on trusting since Homecoming wasn't great and was handled by a noobish team and Downpour is being handled by a team that's only other game is an XBL and PSN title, their developers are experienced but the team is new, and I'm not sold from the videos, pictures, and premise so far... not to mention the music...

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

I doubt the Wii can handle what Vatra is trying to do with the title and no I don't mean "better grafix=better gamez!!1LOL". I thought Shattered Memories was fantastic, well story wise anyway. Downpour promises large and sandbox-y environments reminiscent of the earlier Silent hill games that rewards exploration. It was a good decision to keep it on the PS360 if you ask me. I'm surprised that they haven't announced a PC version.

MaxwellGT2000 said:
Doobie_wop said:
Mr.Metralha said:
Mr Puggsly said:

This thread is about the Wii and the HD consoles. We aren't discussing how well Shattered Memories sold compared to Homecoming, we are comparing how well the Wii Silent Hill game sold compared to the HD consoles Silent Hill game, that's why I didn't even mention the PC version of Homecoming. I also mentioned why Konami probably finds it far more effortless to just port it between the PS3/360 when you take cost, the studio involved and the territory into consideration (as you mentioned in your most recent post).