By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Anyone else think the 3DS price will drop quickly?

The mainstream got used to the DS costing more, but the question is if this is too far. A camera on the DSi was a clear addition. Larger screens were a clear addition with the DSi XL. Even the touch screen was a clear addition for the DS over the Gameboy line.

But here... I don't think 3D is enough to justify the most expensive standalone price any Nintendo system has had.* Now you could argue all the other features being added justify the price, but it's clear that 3D is the selling point here, as that's in the system title.

So what if the mainstream doesn't consider that good enough to spend $100 more than they did for the DS at launch, or even $60 more than the DSi XL with smaller screens? Nintendo will likely have hurt sales on their hands, even if they manage a steady stream of hits (which is more than can be said about the PSP and launching at that price).

Also, I don't think the price alone will hurt the system as much as a likely bubble bursting on 3D. 3D, like high definition, does not actually increase the quality** or convenience of the product. DVD increased convenience over video cassettes (try watching a film on those twice in a row if you forget how much more convenient it is), and even streaming video with Youbute, Hulu, and Netflix let you grab the videos you want at any time. Those add convenience. Even the touch screen and motion controllers offer ways of playing games you can't do with buttons. Some games are therefore more convenient with those (but not all, as we learned).

So this might lead to the public getting sick of 3D and the resulting price inflations. This leads to the point of this thread, which is that Nintendo would soon likely have to drop the price of the 3DS to make it seem more reasonable compared to the DS, instead of following what could be a publich stigma of "we're charging more just because it's in 3D, the way all the movie theaters are doing", even if Nintendo doesn't mean that.

Also, I'm hoping the 3DS sells enough at first to make volume discounts happen sooner, so that a price drop wouldn't risk profits.

* I mean "standalone", since the Wii had Wii Sports, and without it, it only cost as much as the GC in Japan. Also, let's not try to bring inflation into this, as ALL TECH has dropped prices over the years. So the relative prices still make this the most expensive with contemporary technology.

** I don't bring up quality, as that's more a matter of Nintendo remembering that the mainstream wants games like Wii Sports and Super Mario Bros, not Metroid Other M.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Depends on how it sells- no point in dropping price if its selling well

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

leatherhat said:

Of course. My point is that the system it practically anchoring itself to 3D, so that if 3D falls, the system will be hurt with it, even if it starts out well.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Well I think its going to have to do with consumer demand.

Also if the 3DS does indeed cause motion sickness if played in excess of 10-minutes as some reports say and even some users on VGChartz have said. Then that could be a problem. I myself get really motion sick easy so I am a bit concerned. However most users aren't reporting this so you never know.

But I think the price will drop winter 2012 or spring 2013! Not nearly as soon as you hope. Why? because Nintendo never sells hardware at a loss and until it becomes way cheaper to manufacture and Nintendo can make a steady profit off of a cheaper price, their will be no price cut.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

You are forgetting a few things.

1. the graphics for the 3Ds are leaps and bounds better then the DS.

2. Motion sensing

3. better online

4. built in camera's from the get go.

Now you can say all of this is selective due to what a person may or may not care for but the fact that you get all of this out of the box day 1 will open up how developers build their games. Meaning, a dev might not make use of the camera simply for the fact that not everyone who owns a DS has a version with a built in camera. So once again it will be the games that sell the hardware.

Want the Key to Eternal Life?
read about it here:
http://www.cipherwire.net/eternal_life.html

Wii Friend Code: 7592-1692-7773-4859

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
leatherhat said:

Of course. My point is that the system it practically anchoring itself to 3D, so that if 3D falls, the system will be hurt with it, even if it starts out well.

I dont think glassesless 3d will fail- especially since you can turn it off

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Maybe within a year; or 18 months if Moore's Law is applied. Its only natural that they will release the first revision within that time or in two years. If they want to get people to buy 3DS, then a price drop would help them greatly; but that will only be possible if the price of the technology goes down.

aren't you a nintendo fan?  what's with the wave of threads questioning the 3DS?

anyhoo, to answer your question -- maybe.  the 3DS is anchoring itself in the 3D as you said above and in the movie industry appears to be a fad with it's bubble bursting already.  could mean bad things for the 3DS, a curious question at least.

i'm hoping the the 3DS does well actually just because i love 3D and it would give me some confidence back that buying a 3D tv isn't a complete waste of money.

...and just a side - there just seems something completely un-nintendo about the 3DS.  all there other innovations were gameplay focused and this is distinctly graphics focused...

Xephonai said:

You are forgetting a few things.

1. the graphics for the 3Ds are leaps and bounds better then the DS.

2. Motion sensing

3. better online

4. built in camera's from the get go.

Now you can say all of this is selective due to what a person may or may not care for but the fact that you get all of this out of the box day 1 will open up how developers build their games. Meaning, a dev might not make use of the camera simply for the fact that not everyone who owns a DS has a version with a built in camera. So once again it will be the games that sell the hardware.

No, you are forgetting I addressed those in the OP.

kitler53 said:

aren't you a nintendo fan?  what's with the wave of threads questioning the 3DS?

anyhoo, to answer your question -- maybe.  the 3DS is anchoring itself in the 3D as you said above and in the movie industry appears to be a fad with it's bubble bursting already.  could mean bad things for the 3DS, a curious question at least.

i'm hoping the the 3DS does well actually just because i love 3D and it would give me some confidence back that buying a 3D tv isn't a complete waste of money.

...and just a side - there just seems something completely un-nintendo about the 3DS.  all there other innovations were gameplay focused and this is distinctly graphics focused...

Well I'm a fan, not a fanboy. They screw up, I will call them on it... which I did with Other M. I just find the hate for the Wii and DS from developers to still be BS.

As for the last part, that is a good attition to my point. It could still work, but I didn't like graphics whoring with the other systems, so I'm not liking it here.

The 3DS will not see a pricecut for the first 2 years in NA since it's already $50 below what they are paying in Japan.

And Nintendo being Nintendo, pricecut is not their game.