By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 3DS causes dizziness and fatigue in 10 minutes

Japanese weekly magazine Friday has posted an article about Nintendo's 3DS event in Japan last week at Makuhari International Convention Center in Tokyo. The magazine reviewed numerous visitors who played the demo of 3DS at the show. A majority of players said they experienced symptoms of dizziness within 10 minutes of playing. One 30 year old male said he played the Sengoku Musou Chronicles demo, the game felt good at the beginning, but in a few minutes he couldn't take the 3D visual anymore and turned it back to 2D mode.

Many users said viewing the 3DS screens in stereoscopic 3D made them felt a little dizziness and fatigue; some people said you can reduce fatigue by holding the machine in a fixed position. Over half of the people said 3D effects on 3DS will accelerate eye fatigue in a short time, at the beginning they look forward to 3D visual effects on 3DS, but they had to turn 3D effects off in the middle of gaming due to eye fatigue.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/1101/game110116a.shtml

I wonder if this will become a big issue for the 3DS or if it is just an early adjustment one needs to make to enjoy the glasses-less experience, but the recent news for the handheld really isn't good.

What are your thoughts? Could it be an adjustment one needs to make?

Could this just be an isolated hardware issue and fixed by launch?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network

Forget things like battery life, price etc - if this problem is real, then the 3DS is definitely doomed.

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

RolStoppable said:

The 3DS was playable at E3 2010 and we haven't read anything like this, at least not that I know of. Now suddenly it's a widespread issue?

What I noticed rol, is people wish hard enough...it will come true (The widespread issue part, not that this is possible or not possible).

I mean do you remember the 3DS has been hacked? (Which had no bases?but people still acted like it was factual information?) Personally I am sick of rumors, or statements. I am going to judge the product myself. 

U can adjust it i think that in a event like that u would not have the time to find the sweet spot for eye in 3d. also u can just turn it off if u want no big deal.

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

My opinion is that it sounds pretty awesome!!

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

It probably takes a while to get used to the 3D. Most people should be able to overcome this - either by getting used to it or reducing / turning off the 3D.

Hah, I still remember people complaining about Super Mario 64. "It makes you dizzy!" Of course back then gamers were hardcore and laughed at those whining casual gamers because 3D was so awesome.

Thinking about it: Mario Galaxy was also said to make you dizzy. Mario Sunshine wasn't. Here's a theory: Only those 3D Mario's that make you dizzy will be considered masterpieces. Since Mario 3DS will most definitely make people feel dizzy like never before (360 degree playing fields in true 3D with Mario's new ability to turn the world around by shaking your 3DS) it will be considered the biggest game ever by the gaming media and let 3DS sales skyrocket because of people vomiting on their handhelds

UncleScrooge said:

It probably takes a while to get used to the 3D. Most people should be able to overcome this - either by getting used to it or reducing / turning off the 3D.

Hah, I still remember people complaining about Super Mario 64. "It makes you dizzy!" Of course back then gamers were hardcore and laughed at those whining casual gamers because 3D was so awesome.

Thinking about it: Mario Galaxy was also said to make you dizzy. Mario Sunshine wasn't. Here's a theory: Only those 3D Mario's that make you dizzy will be considered masterpieces. Since Mario 3DS will most definitely make people feel dizzy like never before (360 degree playing fields in true 3D with Mario's new ability to turn the world around by shaking your 3DS) it will be considered the biggest game ever by the gaming media and let 3DS sales skyrocket because of people vomiting on their handhelds

You can't argue with that logic...

VGChartz

My staff and I had plenty of time with the 3DS at E3 and experienced none of those symptoms at all.

The same goes for those I know personally in the industry.  Nobody has complained of those ailments until just now?    70,000 at E3 and no reports of 3DS problems.   I don't buy that it's suddenly an issue.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

The same thing was said about the N64 as well; that games caused dizziness and motion sickness. I have watched a lot of 3D movies and have never had these sorts of experiences myself. I have never played 3DS though.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Euphoria14 said:

Japanese weekly magazine Friday has posted an article about Nintendo's 3DS event in Japan

What are your thoughts? Could it be an adjustment one needs to make?

Could this just be an isolated hardware issue and fixed by launch?

Even in Europe/US some people get dizzy when looking at 3D-Movies in the cinema, but in Japan this phenomenon is more common. This is one of the reasons Ego-Shooters are not widely enjoyed in Japan.

But that is an old and known fact. Seems like "Friday" wants to get some attention :)