By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official NPD Dec 2010 Thread (Nov 28-Jan 1, data at 6:30 PM ET)

GT5 sold 560.5K

Just want to play good games

Around the Network
Bobbuffalo said:
Carl2291 said:
Bobbuffalo said:

Even with the drops the Wii is still outselling the compettion.Whoever kept saying that Wii needs a price cut should shut up once and for all.

Kinect didn't pushed consoles. Not even the price cut and new model helped that much to MS. It had improvements yes but is still in 3d place.

Move is forsaken and no surprises for PS3 here. Poor GT5.

Haven't you just been banned for comments like this? Trolling anything that isn't Nintendo?

You used to actually be a decent poster... What happened? The last few Months of the Wii in 2nd/3rd place Weekly get to you or something?

Please those were just a few months and it wasn't that big deal.

I am just pointing about the numbers. How is that trolling?  I admit that the last post was too much but this? Gimme a break! No need to be so sensitive seriously.

Kinect didn't push consoles? Obvious troll/bait. You obviously don't know anything at all about these sales or sales SINCE Kinect has released.

Not even the price cut and new console helped that much? Firstly... What Price Cut? The 360 hasn't had a Price Cut since 2008. And secondly... This is the biggest Month and Year for the 360 EVER. That's WITH shortages.

Move is forsaken. What? How do you possibly know this considering we don't have ANY Move related numbers from this NPD? Poor GT5? Again... What? Selling over 500k units in a Month in one country is now poor?

You aren't pointing out numbers. You're pointing out bullshit.

He is baiting you guys, but on the other hand I doubt most of you guys had expected GT5 to sell 1.6m in the USA and Japan by the end of 2010. Its definitely in decline from previous entries in those countries. I can remember saying back in October when Brett and I did the holiday outlook that it would be overshadowed by Kinect / DKC Returns and other titles, and that does appear to have happened in the USA (and Japan to a lesser extent).

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

TheSource said:

He is baiting you guys, but on the other hand I doubt most of you guys had expected GT5 to sell 1.6m in the USA and Japan by the end of 2010. Its definitely in decline from previous entries in those countries. I can remember saying back in October when Brett and I did the holiday outlook that it would be overshadowed by Kinect / DKC Returns and other titles, and that does appear to have happened in the USA (and Japan to a lesser extent).

Well I never criticized his view on sony, because that could be roughly correct, but his view on MS was just horrible. 

TheSource said:

I think there 2 things that made GT5 do so poorly.

1. High Expectations

2. Sony messing up the launch. It was almost a stealth launch.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
Bobbuffalo said:
Carl2291 said:
Bobbuffalo said:

Even with the drops the Wii is still outselling the compettion.Whoever kept saying that Wii needs a price cut should shut up once and for all.

Kinect didn't pushed consoles. Not even the price cut and new model helped that much to MS. It had improvements yes but is still in 3d place.

Move is forsaken and no surprises for PS3 here. Poor GT5.

Haven't you just been banned for comments like this? Trolling anything that isn't Nintendo?

You used to actually be a decent poster... What happened? The last few Months of the Wii in 2nd/3rd place Weekly get to you or something?

Please those were just a few months and it wasn't that big deal.

I am just pointing about the numbers. How is that trolling?  I admit that the last post was too much but this? Gimme a break! No need to be so sensitive seriously.

Kinect didn't push consoles? Obvious troll/bait. You obviously don't know anything at all about these sales or sales SINCE Kinect has released.

Not even the price cut and new console helped that much? Firstly... What Price Cut? The 360 hasn't had a Price Cut since 2008. And secondly... This is the biggest Month and Year for the 360 EVER. That's WITH shortages.

Move is forsaken. What? How do you possibly know this considering we don't have ANY Move related numbers from this NPD? Poor GT5? Again... What? Selling over 500k units in a Month in one country is now poor?

You aren't pointing out numbers. You're pointing out bullshit.

That's trolling? seriously?

Look at the sales. It sold well this xmas yes but is obvious that Kinect only sold to current owners not new ones like the Wii did. The real test comes this year and forward.

There are no Move games on the chart and that has being the last weeks. I may exagerated with the word but come on!

500K for a game that was hyped for 5 years is too low. Is a nice number but  is not attracting new gamers nor sold PS3s.

You know what? whatever. I just expressed about NPD numbers. Nothing more.

Sony PR is bad. Look at their 2 highlights for the month

- PS3 was only console to have 32% increase in software sales YOY.
- LittleBigPlanet 2 currently has a Metacritic score of 94, which makes it one of the Top 10 PS3 games of all times.

Right. I'm not replying to him. I'll get banned again. I'm taking anger management.

@Source.

Seeing as you're the analyst for VGChartz, can you give us a view of what you predict to happen throughout 2011 with consoles/key titles and so on?  Just for discussions sake?

TheSource said:

it came out on nov 23rd, what should i expect? 

What's amazing was the fact people were claiming the genre was dead, we have tons of people expecting this game to sell 6 million ltd, yet it sells 5 million in 5 weeks and the same people who said it wouldn't sell are now complaining. 

It's been 5 years now, we should be getting used to PS3 in America and Japan by now. We spent last December complaing about Uncharted 2 sales, we are going to complain about LBP sales. Sony does not go all out for these games,, and they seem to let it ride. 

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Seece said:
psrock said:

aarongreenberg Another NPD nugget....Kinect Sports and Dance Central are breakout hits, both selling 1 million units in US alone

You'd hope so on a 7.2 mill userbase!

7.2 mil is WW, he's talking about US sales