By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter time! Bias against 3DS?

RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

whats wrong with what he said??? it makes sense and the original PSP didnt have any phone capabilities

If two devices are similarly priced, then the decision is ultimately made by the kid, not the parents. Since the decision for buying a dedicated gaming handheld is made on the want to play "in-depth" games, it comes down to games as the primary deciding factor, otherwise you could simply buy a phone and be content with it.

maybe your childhood was different than mine but i (as a kid) was never the ultimate deciding factor on anything.  some times i got what i wanted, sometimes i didn't.   my mom had the money so i got what she was willing to get me...

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

whats wrong with what he said??? it makes sense and the original PSP didnt have any phone capabilities

If two devices are similarly priced, then the decision is ultimately made by the kid, not the parents. Since the decision for buying a dedicated gaming handheld is made on the want to play "in-depth" games, it comes down to games as the primary deciding factor, otherwise you could simply buy a phone and be content with it.

maybe your childhood was different than mine but i (as a kid) was never the ultimate deciding factor on anything.  some times i got what i wanted, sometimes i didn't.   my mom had the money so i got what she was willing to get me...

So you are saying you had no choice of what console you got? For example if I wanted super nintendo, my parents wouldn't go out and buy a genesis. 

We can come back to this when we know more about pricing differences, rather than play the oh so fun 'if' game as he is doing here. Especially the details behind the cost of the monthly contract you will need to have to use the phone...

For example, the best price you can get for an iPhone and other similar phones per month over here is about £30 (often with a one off fee to buy the phone to add on). Or £360 for a year...

Which would be comfortably more than the one off price of the 3DS.

VGChartz

I still don't know if VGChartz will track the PSP2, PSP phone or both. It should be fun.

Above: still the best game of the year.

milkyjoe said:

We can come back to this when we know more about pricing differences, rather than play the oh so fun 'if' game as he is doing here. Especially the details behind the cost of the monthly contract you will need to have to use the phone...

For example, the best price you can get for an iPhone and other similar phones per month over here is about £30 (often with a one off fee to buy the phone to add on). Or £360 for a year...

Which would be comfortably more than the one off price of the 3DS.

That is a good point.  It doesn't seem that Pachter thought about it, maybe a sign of his bias against 3DS or pro Sony???

"¿Por qué justo a mí tenía que tocarme ser yo?"

Around the Network
Acevil said:
kitler53 said:
RolStoppable said:
oniyide said:

So you are saying you had no choice of what console you got? For example if I wanted super nintendo, my parents wouldn't go out and buy a genesis. 

i asked for a skateboard and got a snes because my mom thought skateboards where too dangerous.

i asked for a gameboy color and never got one because my brother wanted a gamegear and she wouldn't buy two.

there were plenty of games i specifically asked for and never got 'cause they were too violent or whatever.

most miserably, for my high school graduation i specifically not to got to disney world and my mom took me to disney world.  seriously, what 18 year  old want to got to disney with their parents?!?

i'm not saying i didn't get anything i want but mother always have overule.

...more recently, the aunt of my fiancee got her kids a wii when they asked for a 360 because she wanted a wii and not a 360.

He is sorta right. I mean its a phone too! Too bad its just going to be compared with the iphone.

Well keep in mind that a 3DS will be $200-$300 and the PSP2 will be $0 with a subsidy.

For a child who is young enough for their parents to choose a system for them, I know far more parents who would get the 3DS because it doesn't have a phone in it ...

It might be different in different countries/regions, but around here it seems like most parents don't want their children to have phones until they're in their teens. Certainly, you see the occassional 11 or 12 year old with their own cell phone, but it doesn't seem to be a common thing for kids to have until they're 16 or 17. On top of this you wouldn't (typically) substitute an item your teenager wanted with one they didn't want if they were similar in price; because if you ever did this and happened to get them something that wasn't cool, odds are good that it would never be used (or might get destroyed).

venepe said:

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/11/5816983-will-we-see-the-playstation-phone-in-february

"Pachter said that parents like himself very well might take a look at the Nintendo 3DS compared to the PlayStation Phone and, if they are priced similarly, just might be wooed into choosing a PlayStation Phone for their kids since it offers them in-depth gaming as well everything else today's tech-savvy youngsters want (phone, texting and access to the Internet)."

I thought they said a similar thing when the PSP and DS first came out.

Wiat, what?  3DS can't access the Interwebz and doesn't come with Pictochat?

The rEVOLution is not being televised