By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter time! Bias against 3DS?

Kids love 3D, and 3D Mario is better than texting

thread/

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

One more thought ...

If the PSP-Phone is built on the PSP2 it will (almost certainly) be significantly more expensive than the 3DS which would make Pachter's argument pointless; and if the PSP-Phone is built on the PSP I expect most youngsters would rather have a 3DS or PSP2 than the PSP-Phone because they will (potentially) be newer cooler products.

HappySqurriel said:

One more thought ...

If the PSP-Phone is built on the PSP2 it will (almost certainly) be significantly more expensive than the 3DS which would make Pachter's argument pointless; and if the PSP-Phone is built on the PSP I expect most youngsters would rather have a 3DS or PSP2 than the PSP-Phone because they will (potentially) be newer cooler products.

Actually if it's a phone it'll probably cost $0

Most people buy phones through subsidies.

RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
venepe said:

http://ingame.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/11/5816983-will-we-see-the-playstation-phone-in-february

"Pachter said that parents like himself very well might take a look at the Nintendo 3DS compared to the PlayStation Phone and, if they are priced similarly, just might be wooed into choosing a PlayStation Phone for their kids since it offers them in-depth gaming as well everything else today's tech-savvy youngsters want (phone, texting and access to the Internet)."

I thought they said a similar thing when the PSP and DS first came out.

Wiat, what?  3DS can't access the Interwebz and doesn't come with Pictochat?

Pachter is talking in the context of "parents like himself", so that part of the population who is either oblivious to the obvious or flat out clueless.

Well played.

But in that case, parents would simply get them a subsidized iPhone and be done with it.  So Pachter is oblivious to reality and still called the wrong prediction from that oblivious position.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

RolStoppable said:
Viper1 said:
RolStoppable said:

Pachter is talking in the context of "parents like himself", so that part of the population who is either oblivious to the obvious or flat out clueless.

Well played.

But in that case, parents would simply get them a subsidized iPhone and be done with it.  So Pachter is oblivious to reality and still called the wrong prediction from that oblivious position.

Sure, but consider that nobody cares if Pachter is right, except fanboys.

Them and the poor schmucks that buy his investment dossiers.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Around the Network
silicon said:
HappySqurriel said:

One more thought ...

Some do, when they don’t (currently) have a contract, or if they can significantly extend their current contract, and if they’re willing to maintain the monthly fee associated with the contract. While Canada has awful plans, locally you can get a smart phone for cheap with a contract that is only $60 to $100 a month for 3 years ...

I can't speak for most people being that I still have my Motorola RZR, but I would hardly classify any device that I get for free after I agree to pay $2100 as being in the same price range as a $250 device ...

HappySqurriel said:
silicon said:
HappySqurriel said:

One more thought ...

Some do, when they don’t (currently) have a contract, or if they can significantly extend their current contract, and if they’re willing to maintain the monthly fee associated with the contract. While Canada has awful plans, locally you can get a smart phone for cheap with a contract that is only $60 to $100 a month for 3 years ...

I can't speak for most people being that I still have my Motorola RZR, but I would hardly classify any device that I get for free after I agree to pay $2100 as being in the same price range as a $250 device ...

It's how the smart phone industry works in North America. People can get Iphones for $0 with a contract. The contracts are all the same, but the phones are all $0.

If parents are buying toys for their kids, they're paying for their cell phone bills too... that will have to be paid regardless. Why not kill two birds with one stone. That might be what Patcher is thinking.

I don't think they should be compared because I think SONY and Nintendo go after different markets. Nintendo wants mass market. SONY... I think they used to be high end consumer electronics but now I think they're just trying to throw stuff together and sell it.

silicon said:
HappySqurriel said:
silicon said:
HappySqurriel said:

One more thought ...

It's how the smart phone industry works in North America. People can get Iphones for $0 with a contract. The contracts are all the same, but the phones are all $0.

If parents are buying toys for their kids, they're paying for their cell phone bills too... that will have to be paid regardless. Why not kill two birds with one stone. That might be what Patcher is thinking.

I don't think they should be compared because I think SONY and Nintendo go after different markets. Nintendo wants mass market. SONY... I think they used to be high end consumer electronics but now I think they're just trying to throw stuff together and sell it.

The fundamental question is how many children have cell phone bills that are similar to the cost of the contracts needed to subsidize an expensive smart phone?

Parents will of course choose the PSP2 over the 3DS.  And Pachter thinks the PSP2 will be dead on arrival...

Most anticipated games of 2011:

Uncharted 3,Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, Rocksmith

Modern Warfare 3, Super Mario 3D

Having introduced the Xperia Play, I honestly don't think the next PSP2 will be PSPhone.
Now, if it were to be a smartphone, parents will cost them so much more in the end because most likely it'll be tied to a contract with the carrier for two years. Buying a smartphone outright will make it expensive - I know for sure it'll be more than $300.00