By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter time! Bias against 3DS?

He wants to give his children the ability to take phone calls? What if this guy finds their number?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Acevil said:

Thank you! NOW THE 3DS is going to go far and beyond...thanks Pachter for your blessing. 

Also sorry psp phone, but he has doomed you. 

#FACT

Now as my opinion i think that once that someone take a look at a 3D GLASS FREE SCREEN they will take a 3DS home no matter what, cuz when they take a look at the PSP PHONE they will think "Cool...its ...erhm....flat... i will stick with my Nexus S"

GO PATS! 2012 THE YEAR OF NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS'S 4TH SUPER BOWL!

A patriot to the end. GO PATS!

Now playing> THE LAST STORY (Wii) Best RPG I EVER PLAYED. *-*

Nintendo could u please just take my money and give me back my 3DS?!

lololol!  No sane parent is going to pick up an Xperia Play over anything else... all it has is Android games and PS1 roms.  The thing is going to crater...

If they want an actual phone for their kid, they'll just get them an iPhone.  If not, then a 3DS.  Simple.

HappySqurriel said:
silicon said:
HappySqurriel said:
silicon said:
HappySqurriel said:

One more thought ...

If the PSP-Phone is built on the PSP2 it will (almost certainly) be significantly more expensive than the 3DS which would make Pachter's argument pointless; and if the PSP-Phone is built on the PSP I expect most youngsters would rather have a 3DS or PSP2 than the PSP-Phone because they will (potentially) be newer cooler products.

Actually if it's a phone it'll probably cost $0

Most people buy phones through subsidies.

Some do, when they don’t (currently) have a contract, or if they can significantly extend their current contract, and if they’re willing to maintain the monthly fee associated with the contract. While Canada has awful plans, locally you can get a smart phone for cheap with a contract that is only $60 to $100 a month for 3 years ...

I can't speak for most people being that I still have my Motorola RZR, but I would hardly classify any device that I get for free after I agree to pay $2100 as being in the same price range as a $250 device ...

It's how the smart phone industry works in North America. People can get Iphones for $0 with a contract. The contracts are all the same, but the phones are all $0.

If parents are buying toys for their kids, they're paying for their cell phone bills too... that will have to be paid regardless. Why not kill two birds with one stone. That might be what Patcher is thinking.

I don't think they should be compared because I think SONY and Nintendo go after different markets. Nintendo wants mass market. SONY... I think they used to be high end consumer electronics but now I think they're just trying to throw stuff together and sell it.

The fundamental question is how many children have cell phone bills that are similar to the cost of the contracts needed to subsidize an expensive smart phone?

Well... children of all ages right ;)

Again, they have differnet markets. I think 3DS will dominate the under 12 market. Maybe even under 16. 16 to 29 is where things may not be as straight forward. But then the PSP2 has to compete with Iphone4,5,6,7 etc.

Although I'm not sure what age children get a phone is in NA. However, I think that the amount of kids getting a smart phone is growing. Plus kids don't need data plans since they have Wifi.