By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3DS to use friend codes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s&feature=related

Around the Network

If Nintendo want to push the online part of the 3DS they better get rid of the codes, or atleast stick to one universal code...

This would also limit the "3DS do stuff to other 3DS's while you're walking" thingy I think.

Damn it, Nintendo! Stop being so conservative! >_< Being conservative is what could kick you back into last place again, seriously.

@Acevil  and no offense to you but would you not have learned your lesson by now about getting to hyped for a product when it just comes out??? If im going to buy a console at LAUNCH im going to be looking at the hardware, because most launch libraries are not that great anyway. While 3DS is better than most, honestly im not impressed. We dont know what the US launch titles will be and since it is region locked the japanese launch titles mean nothing to me. But looking at those titles, i see alot of ports of games ive already played. Zelda OOT?? been there done that. SSF4 did that too. Its not just friend codes, its a combination of things I dont like. I hate Friend codes with a passion, region locking is stupid, battery life I was expecting it to be not that great and the pricing is what ill be expecting. Im not going to support a company/product if its doing so many things I dont like. I dont care who makes it. Ill wait till I think 3DS is worth purchasing

Acevil said:
Squilliam said:
makingmusic476 said:
Rainbird said:

They better be universal, or someone needs to tell Nintendo that the world has moved on!

Well, they're the market leader.  I'm sure it's hard to see value in what your competitors are doing when you're stomping all over them commercially.

Not any more they aren't. In terms of revenue they've fallen from clear market leader to merely a strong market participent.

In terms of software revenue they still have strong grip above the 50% (I believe it is actually 70% ), the only problem is if you are comparing hardware and include iphone. 

Nope, just overall hardware and software and network revenues combined. Comparatively both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have revenue share greater than their present market share.

Tease.

oniyide said:

@Acevil  and no offense to you but would you not have learned your lesson by now about getting to hyped for a product when it just comes out??? If im going to buy a console at LAUNCH im going to be looking at the hardware, because most launch libraries are not that great anyway. While 3DS is better than most, honestly im not impressed. We dont know what the US launch titles will be and since it is region locked the japanese launch titles mean nothing to me. But looking at those titles, i see alot of ports of games ive already played. Zelda OOT?? been there done that. SSF4 did that too. Its not just friend codes, its a combination of things I dont like. I hate Friend codes with a passion, region locking is stupid, battery life I was expecting it to be not that great and the pricing is what ill be expecting. Im not going to support a company/product if its doing so many things I dont like. I dont care who makes it. Ill wait till I think 3DS is worth purchasing

See I can agree when you talked about the gaming libraries and how it effects you (I just don't fell the features should have been a turn off if you were hyped).

Also I only get disappointed for a small bit for like the summer which is usually dead (ya my fault, but the price never drops within 1 year, so the investment remains the same), and the only reason I really get annoyed by relaunches is because they have cool bells and whistles (LIKE BEING SMALLER) (with the exception of the ps3 slim...I love my Ps3 that plays ps2).

Around the Network

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_F6BhAAbvo&NR=1

Mr.bison is nintendo.

makingmusic476 said:

Anoop over at Andriasang has translated a recent interview in Famitsu about SSFIV's online multiplayer on 3DS, and it reveals that the 3DS will indeed be using friend codes, much like the DS/Wii:

You'll be able to select from three types of play: "quick match," which pairs you up with an opponent instantly, "custom match," which lets finds an opponent based off conditions that you've set, and "friend match", which lets you select an opponent from your friend list. You add players to your friend list by exchanging friend codes.

UPDATE 4:57 -- Regarding the friend codes and friend list, Famitsu does not make any mention about these being game-specific or universal across the 3DS system. We'll presumably have to wait for clarification from Nintendo.

Hopefully they'll at least be universal.

A lot of the news this past week has made me somewhat disappointed in the 3DS as an actual piece of hardware.  It's looking to have the best software line up of any new console ever, but between the probable price, region locking, friend codes, and questionable battery life (though we still need more details on this last point), I find the actual device isn't turning out as good as I hoped it would.

It's ultimately all about the games, though, and things are looking great on that front.

They promised that with the Wii along with LAN play and then shit all over us when it came to delivering said content. So I take everything Nintendo says with a grain of salt, be it positive or negative.

@acevil  it was more of a combo of the meh library and features that i hate that contributed to me to be far less excited about the 3DS. I know im about to get ripped for not liking the almight 3DS line up but honestly im not paying 250-300 for new machine just to play games ive already played, the 3D is not that cool

This is surprising, given there's been a bit of a move away from them in the last couple of years, at least in a few third party Wii games. I assumed that the pressure those 3rd party devs had put upon Nintendo to get a bit more leniency might have had a more lasting effect...

VGChartz

Acevil said:
oniyide said:

i went from being excited to interested to now just not caring. Ninty's whole online is screwed up, and instead of taking an opportunity with this new hardware and fixing it, they keep their crappy friend codes??? Call me a troll all you want but no, I think ill wait for the inevitable 3DS lite. battery life i can deal with, PSP isnt that great in that regard. region locking??? stupid but ill play ball. friend codes, sorry thats where i draw the line. Alright Sony what crap do you have to try to get my portable gaming dollars??

No offense, but if this was a deal breaker than that is kind of sad. In fact two things you described haven't been 100% confirmed, but it seems like you look for features over the game library. Not saying features aren't important, but they usually don't result in going from being excited about a product to not caring, namely the features that are the same as previous effort (DSi).

Given I shouldn't talk, since I am usually sold on all consoles when they launch (excluding the iphone), to not caring for them in couple of months...and regretting them when slim comes along. 

What two things did he list? I thought they already gave the battery life estimates and now friend codes? I could see a lack of features  resulting in a lack of excitement for a product, such as if they released/announced an ipod that couldn't play music. Now that would kill a lot of peoples excitement.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius